Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just a few cars

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Probable explanations are canvassed within those threads I listed, maybe worth a closer gander? It does seem a known problem in the UK

Tell me please, I'd love to know .. how do you maintain a strut-mount rubber?
    no idea, do I have to ask the workshop again?

Edit: Maybe it is a problem for RHD cars????
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The 406 Coupe is one of the most pleasureable vehicles to look at of the modern era. one of my school friends families used to own a moon silver example. Delicious.

However i think people do get a little too protective over there new & shiny vehicles, then drive like absolute retards so as not to have people crash into their beloved "Baby". I remember when I used to drive Claudia I wasn't fussed about where I parked - just so long as it was in the lines. that car suffered at the hands of an 8 year old with a run away trolley & I just sort of shrugged it off.

Then, when I get Ingrid & some one tries to kick in her door, I go mental.

They are only cars after all

Public servants are the best to watch but worst to deal with in a car park - when I have to pick my Parents up from their office block the jostling & driving is beyond belief. And you've never seen so Many Subaru Liberty's in your life!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Paris would be a permanent nightmare for him...
    I will never forget seeing those parked Parisian vans (and even cars!) with the full-length aftermarket wooden-plank armour bolted down the sides as skid plates!

no idea, do I have to ask the workshop again?

Edit: Maybe it is a problem for RHD cars????
    You sure its not a cultural or language problem?

Thing is, that unless you have fitted the 2nd of the two redesigned strut-mount updates, there's always the genuine risk of the mount randomly failing, possibly leading to a BIG CRASH. Obviously getting them inspected at every six-monthly service interval is not neccasarily going to catch the problem. Some prudent Citroen enthusiasts are talking about regular owner-inspections every 1000 miles

You sure its not a cultural or language problem?

Thing is, that unless you have fitted the 2nd of the two redesigned strut-mount updates, there's always the genuine risk of the mount randomly failing, possibly leading to a BIG CRASH. Obviously getting them inspected at every six-monthly service interval is not neccasarily going to catch the problem. Some prudent Citroen enthusiasts are talking about regular owner-inspections every 1000 miles
    I see your point but I am puzzled that two very experienced Citroen mechanics in Holland never came across the problem and quite a few Xantias were sold here. (I regret I cannot blame the US for this)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I see your point but I am puzzled that two very experienced Citroen mechanics in Holland never came across the problem and quite a few Xantias were sold here. (I regret I cannot blame the US for this)
    Perhaps its due to those very experienced Citroen mechanics being in Holland, and their experience being in Holland conditions with those beautifully maintained ultra-smooth roads?

Anyway it appears obvious that there's clearly a problem, and one that has been encountered (and recognised) for some years now in countries ranging from the UK a mere 20 miles distant from the Netherlands, to the far away wilds of Nuw Zulland

On a wider overview you might also say that this problem (and low sales) is symptomatic of a good deal of other 'problems' which have and still are being encountered in markets where ostensibly 'tested & proven' european marques have escaped their soft Continental environs for an altogether harsher habitat abroad

Perhaps its due to those very experienced Citroen mechanics being in Holland, and their experience being in Holland conditions with those beautifully maintained ultra-smooth roads?

Anyway it appears obvious that there's clearly a problem, and one that has been encountered (and recognised) for some years now in countries ranging from the UK a mere 20 miles distant from the Netherlands, to the far away wilds of Nuw Zulland

On a wider overview you might also say that this problem (and low sales) is symptomatic of a good deal of other 'problems' which have and still are being encountered in markets where ostensibly 'tested & proven' european marques have escaped their soft Continental environs for an altogether harsher habitat abroad
    fortunately the UK is a little bit further away
    but yrs, our roads are good, but I assume that if such things would have happened in France or Germany, Citroen Holland would know about it...I checked the website of the Dutch Xantia club and all sorts of problems with the front struts were mentioned, but there was one interesting remark. Apparently during the annual MoT one driver was advised to replace the rubbers of the front carrying arm....as they looked worn out.

fortunately the UK is a little bit further away
    but yrs, our roads are good, but I assume that if such things would have happened in France or Germany, Citroen Holland would know about it...I checked the website of the Dutch Xantia club and all sorts of problems with the front struts were mentioned, but there was one interesting remark. Apparently during the annual MoT one driver was advised to replace the rubbers of the front carrying arm....as they looked worn out.
    To replace those bushes on early Xantias it seems you have to replace the whole arm $$

Anyway I've waded in and found this for you (with apologies to charged for comprehensively jacking his thread)
    Hi all
    I could write the book on this [Xantia] topic.So here goes with concise version

1 Can buy mount separate (its called the 'sphere bracket') The strut is a separate part.

2 keeping spheres well gassed goes along way towards preventing problem

3.Inspect sphere bkt rubber from underneath every service- pull gaiter off. What a pain! And they can have very tiny edge cracks and crease lines which are probably OK. What the devil the dividing line is between OK and about to die beats me.

4. Early Aust owner manual supplement didn't mention sphere gas or sphere bkts as service items! If mine died due to ignorance, I would ask Citroen Aust for help- and experiment with a small claims court claim if the reply was no.
    I think 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose' Trade Practices Act provisions come into play here. We have a long long tradition in Australia that suspension stays in the car for the life of the car, and does not elect to leave its post without notice. Would most magistrates agree? Maybe.
    And lets be clear about this- there is no sub text here- a magistrate is simply a formal arbitrator.This is a serious issue, and a formal airing of pros and cons re responsibility would be interesting.

5. Later owner manual supplements did mention the service issues- pretty fine print though!

6. Ive taken matter up with Aust Transport Safety bureau- no luck

7.What happens if one of these dies when cornering hard at speed on a good sealed road in the mountains? Extra down load on the corner of the car could be more than the bonnet hinge and adjacent sheet metal can take.

8. I think Citroen should make avilable at nominal charge some high tensile straps of some kind to go between the 4 bolts, over the sphere bkts.

9. Series 2 cars have larger flange on metal inner (I've compared them- this is certainly the case) to try and stop strut exiting if rubber fails. Should allowinspection to pick up failure before bonnet is lost. I wonder though, if nothing is done, whether over time the strut can still punch its way through?

Cheers
    Martin.
    And this

aussiefrogs - View Single Post - Thud !!!!
    Some Citroenists from overseas, who are not using the internet as much as the Australian Citroën fraternity, are denying that this strut mount problem ever happens. Well, the proof is in the strut mount guys.
    which includes this

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications...-07-200310.pdf
    Last edited by nota; 08-06-2008 at 11:07 AM.

I believe what you are saying. However I think "we" (overseas Citroenists) are not denying the problem. To assume that "we" do not use the internet so much is a bit crass. Obviously it has not occurred. Is it known in which factory the Aussie Xantias are made?

I believe what you are saying. However I think "we" (overseas Citroenists) are not denying the problem.
    I don't know but then probably only in Oz the suspension was fitted with explosives.
    To assume that "we" do not use the internet so much is a bit crass.
    Not my words but hey, here's me informing a 25-year Citroen enthusiast and internet veteran about the reality of exploding Citroen suspensions
    Obviously it has not occurred. Is it known in which factory the Aussie Xantias are made?
    Yeah the crap factory

Boiled down it seems - at least from what I interpret - to be as much an initial design & engineering problem, as for any strut rubber 'maintainance' issues .. if the strut rubber was not, by design, imposed with such distortion from high loadings in the first place, then it would be far less prone to wear & fail, even forgetting its 'not designed to be failsafe' shortcomings

Most strut towers have a steel insert in them for strength , the forces on the top of a strut tower in incredibly high, it would be scary seeing one fly through the bonnet.

IB4R, the 406 is one of the nicest looking coupes, there bloody cheap to buy s/h also. The brother and nephew get a few in the workshop though with electrical issues at about 100,000 kays and the fixs on the electrical side are far from cheap.

Used PEUGEOT 406 D9 1999 - New South Wales - CarPoint Australia

Used PEUGEOT 406 D8 1999 - Victoria - CarPoint Australia
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thread Information