Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a few cars

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I don't know but then probably only in Oz the suspension was fitted with explosives. I have heard many stories, but never this one. And the turbo version should be nice too.
    Yes they are nice and good value too .. but the concept of 'bang for your buck' takes on a whole new dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiefrogs #1

So I replaced the clutch in the Xantia over the weekend,

Jan was very pleased to have it back & going after weeks of a slipping clutch..........
    I set off for town with Jan this morning..........
    dropped her off at school, did a few things around town, had a bit of driving around here & there to get a few things.
    About 11.00am the mobile rings..... pull over......turn the car off..... answer phone..... its Darryl from Tassie, so we have a chat...... after about 10 minutes of chatting in the stationary car.......

THUD!!!!! and the left side of the bonnet suddenly bulges upward about 6 inches.

I'd heard about this....... but I'd expected it might happen one day while driving over a bumpy track, or tearing around a corner......
    But 10 minutes after pulling up from 50km/h on a straight smooth road.

So I got my neighbour to bring my car trailer in......

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow ?
    I'll take a couple of pics just to scare all the Xantia owners.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by #2
    Could be worse! Here's a double plugger from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by #3
    just keep an eye on the Fowles auction sites. whenever you see a Xantia looking like this (yes I know it's an XM, it's the only photo I could find in my 30second search). You'll know it's due to strut failure.

UGLY isn't it
    Dom, they don't do it at a certain mileage, they just do it when the rubber perishes. So, go out there NOW, and check your car.
    The replacement rubbers that citroen now supply have been modified so they won't do this in future, so replace them as a pair.
    Just doing one is a FALSE ECONOMY

john s
    _______

Hi John,

And yes I agree, do NOT just replace one side, even though they are quite expensive down under I would NOT feel happy driving a car that had just popped one strut top and only had the one replaced - the other one is almost certainly close behind....and the result of it happening when hitting a bump at high speed could be fatal... (I'm surprised people havn't been KILLED by these god awful pieces of design, which surely merited a recall for modified strut tops)

Regards,
    Simon
    Aussiefrogs info threads

Thud!!!!!

Do your Xantia struts explode??

Xantia struts - aussiefrogs

(my mother-in-law drives a smooth green Xantia turbo-diesel .. should I tell her?)

I have never seen that here, or being mentioned, I am scheduled for a visit to my workshop this afternoon and I'll ask about it. Form what I read it seems to be matter of worn out rubbers and has little to do with the hydropneumatic system as such.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    There's also a low-km Xantia VSX CT near me .. maybe $4k or so (?) .. but the tales of exploding suspension does cause one to pause
    So, you weren't the bidder on the Fiat. However, are you still thinking about replacing the S-Class?
    Xantia is certainly a rather different car to the S-Class.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    So, you weren't the bidder on the Fiat. However, are you still thinking about replacing the S-Class?
    Xantia is certainly a rather different car to the S-Class.
    Well Mercules has hydropnuematic on the rear so its kinda sort-of only half-different

Mercs have really addicted me to the smooooth ride. V6 Xantia might be nice (reputedly quite punchy) but they were all autos here in Oz and I'm not dumb enough to buy a French automatic (!) so that's what got me thinking about the 'low blow' CT (turbo 4) which also gets you the strengthened manual box

Wonders if its feasible to LPG a CT?

[edit] fuggetit, ad removed for the CT which means I left it too late anyway (seller going OS next week) was a local car with 130,000km

I have never seen that here, or being mentioned, I am scheduled for a visit to my workshop this afternoon and I'll ask about it. Form what I read it seems to be matter of worn out rubbers and has little to do with the hydropneumatic system as such.
    Just the strut mount, so yeah hardy anything to do with it!

From a cursory look it appears that the tower mount rusts in high-humidity areas (causing similar issues) while the mount itself is also prone to failure - vehicles include BX, Xantia, XM, and CX?

XM aftermarket repair kit for your interest
    Front Strut Kit for Citroen XM

How about a Peugeot 406 V6 or Turbo-diesel instead of the Citroen? Not sure the prices however.
    I assume you're willing to forgive the Citroen its FWD layout for the ride qualities it should offer?
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

re Aussiefrogs post #1
    About 11.00am the mobile rings..... pull over......turn the car off..... answer phone..... its Darryl from Tassie, so we have a chat...... after about 10 minutes of chatting in the stationary car.......

THUD!!!!! and the left side of the bonnet suddenly bulges upward about 6 inches.
    Only the French could produce a car that self-destructs when parked by the side of the road, and even with the engine switched off!

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    How about a Peugeot 406 V6 or Turbo-diesel instead of the Citroen? Not sure the prices however.
    I assume you're willing to forgive the Citroen its FWD layout for the ride qualities it should offer?
    Yes and mate I see where you're coming from with the Peugeot .. but they share a Citroen platform and lack the teriffic exploding suspension - and sporting nature - and hold their value much better (too much to tempt me). Auto-only Renault Laguna's 'intelligent' auto gearbox is dumb-as, reputedly a nightmare. Apparently the Citroen suspension cure is somewhere under $1k, and you know how lousy their resale is

I'll probably end up sticking with what I've got, but you know the feeling when 'the itch for change' hits you

The little Fiat interested me but verging on too much $$, despite seeming market undervalue of a mini-Ferrari. I was even looking at a Renault 10 for gawd sake!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think i might have seen that Xantia you were looking at, nota. It seemed in fairly good nick. For someone who knows what they are doing & is willing to put in the time, by all means it'd be worthwhile. that was a very good condition vehicle considering some of the other ones I've seen of a similar vintage.

EDIT: I've found a C5 V6 on Carpoint.com.au. It's more expensive but similar KM. V6 though
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 08-06-2008 at 05:35 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I heard the early C5 were a bit of a POS, henk may know more... I had a run in with Pug 406 Coupe owner the other day in the city, he thought he needed 2 1/2 loading zone bays, I pulled up behind him and gave him a beep to move up so I could park in the loading zone... he gets out his car and comes to my window and tells me he wants the 2 1/2 bays because his car is exotic and he wants to make sure no-one parks in front or behind him I was having a shitty day and told him in fairly colourful terms that his 15 grand Pug actually wasnt that exotic and that the commercial van I was driving was worth twice what his exotic Coupe was. End result was he moved up so I could park, I walked away with a smile and he got back in his car with a slightly dented ego

So dont buy a Pug Nota or you may change into a self important euro snob like the above Pug owner

I do like the looks of the 406 coupe though, very nicely porportioned vehichle IMHO
    Last edited by charged; 08-06-2008 at 06:41 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I think i might have seen that Xantia you were looking at, nota. It seemed in fairly good nick. For someone who knows what they are doing & is willing to put in the time, by all means it'd be worthwhile. that was a very good condition vehicle considering some of the other ones I've seen of a similar vintage.
    It was a red one, maybe located in Garran iirc? Yes it seemed a very good example. Unfortunately I ummed and ahhed too long about it (quick & the dead, as they say)
    EDIT: I've found a C5 V6 on Carpoint.com.au. It's more expensive but similar KM. V6 though
    V6 = auto . Will be interesting to see what this one ends up going for...

Citroen C5 V6 Exclusive -2001 Model $1 Start NO RESERVE (eBay item 300247233994 end time Aug-10-08 18:16:43 EST)

just came back from my Citroen workshop and the problem of penetrating front suspensions was unknown. ( Both guys I talked to have been working on Citroens for over 40 years). Mayb in OZ the rubbers dry out too easily and are not properly maintained?

I have a secret love affair with the 406 Coupe, but it is too impractical for my needs, although with the 2.2. HDi engine it is a quite attractive proposition.

Early C5s can be pigs, but I have been relatively lucky with mine so far.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    I heard the early C5 were a bit of a POS, henk may know more...
    C5 has multiplex wiring and heresay says this can be problematic .. headlights randomly switching off on the highway etc
    I had a run in with Pug 406 Coupe owner the other day in the city, he thought he needed 2 1/2 loading zone bays, I pulled up behind him and gave him a beep to move up so I could park in the loading zone... he gets out his car and comes to my window and tells me he wants the 2 1/2 bays because his car is exotic and he wants to make sure no-one parks in front or behind him I was having a shitty day and told him in fairly colourful terms that his 15 grand Pug actually wasnt that exotic and that the commercial van I was driving was worth twice what his exotic Coupe was. End result was he moved up so I could park, I walked away with a smile and he got back in his car with a slightly dented ego
    If I could relate a quick anecdote to a fellow Val fan ..

Returned to my somewhat 'roughish' CL wagon (great cheapie, 245 3-sp!) to find some Urban 4x4 idiot had positioned his brand new fully-decked-out Patrol virtually against my rear bumper, intruding muchly into my allotted space despite him having heaps of room astern, and making egress for me more difficult than it might otherwise have been. Well bugger that, two can play that game and I couldn't be stuffed craning my neck, so lets do a gentle 'touch park' reverse into his shiny & expensive high-polish alloy 'bullbar' with the soft crinkle sounds coming from my pre-dented tailgate. All of a sudden this be-suited public servant comes sprinting from over the road, yelling in obvious pain & anguish that I might possibly have scratched his pristine 4WD fashion accessory LOL!

Sometimes its great to own a 'dont give a shit' car

So dont buy a Pug Nota or you may change into a self important euro snob like the above Pug owner

I do like the looks of the 406 coupe though, very nicely porportioned vehichle IMHO
    I like 205 but the newer or bigger Pugs dont really do it for me. However that model does look the goods alright. Mrs nota has driven one in euroland at 200 km/h

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    All of a sudden this be-suited public servant comes sprinting from over the road, yelling in obvious pain & anguish that I might possibly have scratched his pristine 4WD fashion accessory LOL!
    Paris would be a permanent nightmare for him...

just came back from my Citroen workshop and the problem of penetrating front suspensions was unknown. ( Both guys I talked to have been working on Citroens for over 40 years).
    Probable explanations are canvassed within those threads I listed, maybe worth a closer gander? It does seem a known problem in the UK, and there's even a Govt inspection-directive in New Zealand
    Mayb in OZ the rubbers dry out too easily and are not properly maintained?
    Tell me please, I'd love to know .. how do you maintain a strut-mount rubber?

Thread Information