Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is BMW "THE" premium small sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Lol. very true.

Please remember I do currently drive a Volvo
    after your 318i i can see why..
    suppose ballz has abandoned RWD too, trading the sil for the celica..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

hairdresser coupes to the fore!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    maybe he means 1 series...
    which aren't a sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    That's why I used the words "almost all"

I have noticed that it tends to be the "upright" shape vehicles that don't have a tunnel, probably because it's just that the floor is above it, rather than there simply not being one.

You're right, but there are still the genuine enthusiasts that buy them for the "right" reasons. As I've said before, I want a 1-series 3-door/3-series coupé but don't want the image that goes with them. I coudn't care less about what badge is on it. It could be a Ford and I'd still want it because they are very good cars.
    So the little teenage girls who get them as trinkets and/or fashion for their sweet 16s are getting them for the right reasons? Sorry I am thinking of the US market but for the UK perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    So the little teenage girls who get them as trinkets and/or fashion for their sweet 16s are getting them for the right reasons? Sorry I am thinking of the US market but for the UK perhaps
    Of course most BMWs (and in general most premium cars) are bought for the badge. That happens everywhere.

That doesn't mean that occasionally there's someone who buys it for the right reasons.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The problem is more people will buy a car for the exclusive badge rather than buying the car for the right reasons.

If I buy a new car or another used car in the future, I want to buy a car which is good to drive/fun to drive, comfortable, good fuel economy and let's be realistic, the physical appearance of the car is important. No Ssang Yong cars.

Also, I think recent BMWs have been very good smaller cars and medium sized cars. Some of the large BMWs like the X5 SUV is just too ugly and is driven by many people who don't really need an SUV.
    Last edited by john14; 08-16-2008 at 12:31 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Put it this way: IMO the styling of the new Audi A4 is nicer than the 3-series, so is it's interior...but the BMW still beats it with more powerful AND more efficient engines and a better, RWD chassis.

The Audi may be the "better" car for the driver that's not looking for sportiness, but if I bought one and then found myself on a country road, I'd kick myself for not buying the BMW instead.

I'll be purchasing a RWD car as soon as I can afford to - the only thing that's stopping me from trading the C4 in for a 1-series or E46 Coupé is the cost of the insurance, as I'm "only" 20 (UK insurance prices are horrific for those under 25).
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I'll be purchasing a RWD car as soon as I can afford to - the only thing that's stopping me from trading the C4 in for a 1-series or E46 Coupé is the cost of the insurance, as I'm "only" 20 (UK insurance prices are horrific for those under 25).
    Why not go for something cheaper then?

Like an older BMW, an Alfa Romeo 75 or a Mazda MX-5.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Why not go for something cheaper then?

Like an older BMW, an Alfa Romeo 75 or a Mazda MX-5.
    It's not the purchase price of an E46 that's the problem - it's the cost of insurance. £2,000 (€2,579 / $3,467 USD) anyone? A Mazda MX-5 or older BMW would still cost a stupid amount to insure, too!

Also, an older Alfa or BMW would be a big step down from what I'm driving now in terms of practicality, interior, safety etc.

See what I mean (Euro Ncap gave it less than 2*)!?!?

I'll probably just wait until I'm a couple of years older; insurance prices will be much cheaper then.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Also, an older Alfa or BMW would be a big step down from what I'm driving now in terms of practicality, interior, safety etc.
    Ah yes, but we are petrolheads we don't care about those things...

Maybe a late XJ40?
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information