Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ALMS: 4 hour Generac 500 at Road America Aug 9

ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Elkhart Lake Blog
    Audi's pit stop concerns, Legge on the loose, and a BUNCH of juicy ALMS rumors are awaiting your perusal in Pruett's Thursday Elkhart Lake blog.
    AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Elkhart Lake Blog - SPEEDtv.com
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Elkhart Lake Blog
    Audi's pit stop concerns, Legge on the loose, and a BUNCH of juicy ALMS rumors are awaiting your perusal in Pruett's Thursday Elkhart Lake blog.
    AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Elkhart Lake Blog - SPEEDtv.com
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

I don't really buy the theory of the diesel 'flowing slower' than gas in this case. One gallon of gasoline weighs 6.2 lbs....one gallon of diesel fuel weighs 7.1 lbs. In warm temps I don't see fueling diesel as opposed to gasoline coming into play. Assuming Audi's diesel is anything close to our pump ultra low #2 diesel.

Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I don't really buy the theory of the diesel 'flowing slower' than gas in this case. One gallon of gasoline weighs 6.2 lbs....one gallon of diesel fuel weighs 7.1 lbs. In warm temps I don't see fueling diesel as opposed to gasoline coming into play. Assuming Audi's diesel is anything close to our pump ultra low #2 diesel.

Thanks for the update.
    I guess it's easier to think of the viscosity of petrol and diesel like the difference between water and syrup. Weight isn't the main factor here.

Friday Photo Gallery

SPEEDtv.com - Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MPME View Post
    I guess it's easier to think of the viscosity of petrol and diesel like the difference between water and syrup. Weight isn't the main factor here.
    They aren't that different in viscosity in warm temps though. Not as extreme of example as water vs syrup....maybe water and whole milk.

Nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    They aren't that different in viscosity in warm temps though. Not as extreme of example as water vs syrup....maybe water and whole milk.

Nice pics.
    Audi's fuel isn't what you put in your truck. It's safe to assume that IMSA knows the impact lowering the tank will have and Audi also know their flow rates.

I've used the exact diesel they use in a diesel endurance program that I ran, and there's no reason to believe what they're saying is anything but accurate.

Audi's fuel isn't what you put in your truck. It's safe to assume that IMSA knows the impact lowering the tank will have and Audi also know their flow rates.

I've used the exact diesel they use in a diesel endurance program that I ran, and there's no reason to believe what they're saying is anything but accurate.
    do you know if its a parrafin based diesel or if its a kerosene based?

the parrafin based is what we use in our ships, and there is a huge difference in the viscosity of that at the kerosene based. if the temp drops below 60F it can actually turn into a solid wax.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

If it isn't pump fuel, which I doubted in the first place, it's the synthetic gas to liquid formula...so who knows what it weighs or what the viscosity is.

We certainly have to trust the IMSA test....but I'd bet the synthetic diesel is closer to gasoline flow rates than pump grade is.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    do you know if its a parrafin based diesel or if its a kerosene based?

the parrafin based is what we use in our ships, and there is a huge difference in the viscosity of that at the kerosene based. if the temp drops below 60F it can actually turn into a solid wax.
    Lovely!

Here's the spec sheet on their diesel. I used 16 barrels of their surplus LM24 diesel in 2006 and it was some rather 'unique' stuff.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2007/alms/...sheet_v1-1.pdf

Do you have picture of that Mustang's rear suspension? It's rather interesting that someone would go that route to make a GT1 car....

And how is that legal in SPEED WC? I thought they have to use production layout, and rear pushrod(or independent for that matter) is most definitely not production mustang....

just curious, do you do your own pics?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Do you have picture of that Mustang's rear suspension? It's rather interesting that someone would go that route to make a GT1 car....

And how is that legal in SPEED WC? I thought they have to use production layout, and rear pushrod(or independent for that matter) is most definitely not production mustang....

just curious, do you do your own pics?
    I shot the car at the end of 2006 for a magazine feature that never managed to get finished. They let me have the car to myself for about 30min! I crawled inside and out like it was a jungle gym. Gorgeous car. Those 100+pics are at home.

I do shoot my own stuff--not as good as the pros, but I'm working hard at getting better.

Shot of the new direct-injection Porsche engine from Thursday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ALMS: Pruett's Friday Elkhart Lake Blog
    We dive deep into the top speeds at the fastest track on the calendar, Robertson Racing's candid discussion on developing the Ford GT-R, and Tafel Racing's take on how to win a championship.
    AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Pruett's Friday Elkhart Lake Blog - SPEEDtv.com

Thread Information