Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia invading Georgia

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!

Russia invading Georgia

Russia battles Georgia over breakaway region of South Ossetia | World news | guardian.co.uk

This region, South Ossetia, decided they didn't want to be part of Georgia, and have basically been in conflict. Georgia launched a campaign to retake the area. Apparently some Russian property got destroyed in the process, and some Russians were killed. Now Russia has sent tanks over the border and commenced bombing targets in Georgia.

Some around 1000 people have already been killed, reportedly between 2 and 4 russian planes shot down and lots of property destruction in Georgia and the South Ossetia region. Georgia is calling for the U.S. to assist, diplomatically so far. Georgia has 2000 troops in Iraq, and is withdrawing 1000 to deploy against Russia.

This has me really nervous. If things continue it could draw a lot of countries into conflict. Georga has been a helpful ally of the U.S. for instance, and trying to get into NATO. The U.S. hasn't been exactly known for non-interventionalism.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The media is using this for an anti-Russian campaign

Hopefully the US doesn't decide to intervene

Georgia == oil pipeline so dont' hold your breath for non-interventino
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i just checked off my ship today, and coincidently they are leaving tomorrow for the Black Sea. they will be part of a standing Nato group that stays in the Med and adjacent seas. I have a feeling there will be some maritime presence off the coast, whether they will play or not was a huge topic of discussion today on the ship, but there has been nothing official from the miltary side. (even if there was i probably woudlnt be able to discuss it on here.)

whether we will send a carrier battle group or not depends on a lot of factors. i really think its unlikely though. that woudl probably exacerbate the situation, and worsen our already fractious relationship with russia.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Russia has a "peacekeeping force" in South Ossetia. It has practically been giving away Russian passports to Ossetians, with a minimum of bureaucracy. As a consequence, about 90% of South Ossetians are now "Russian citizens".

Therefore, Russia is arguing that it is only protecting its citizens (while attacking Georgian military and civilians in Georgia), while Georgia is saying that it was only moving troops within its own country (while possibly violating a peace agreement concerning an autonomous region).

Depending on your point of view, both the South Ossetians and the Georgians could therefore claim "underdog status".

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i just checked off my ship today, and coincidently they are leaving tomorrow for the Black Sea. they will be part of a standing Nato group that stays in the Med and adjacent seas. I have a feeling there will be some maritime presence off the coast, whether they will play or not was a huge topic of discussion today on the ship, but there has been nothing official from the miltary side. (even if there was i probably woudlnt be able to discuss it on here.)

whether we will send a carrier battle group or not depends on a lot of factors. i really think its unlikely though. that woudl probably exacerbate the situation, and worsen our already fractious relationship with russia.
    Putin is going to be pissed if there is a US carrier laying in wait.

I don't think the US will take action against Russia, because one of Russia's top allies is--China

And this my friends, is why the US needs a president who will be willing to delve into correct foreign policy.
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 08-08-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post

I don't think the US will take action against Russia, because one of Russia's top allies is--China
    first point... couldnt agree more. one of the main reasons i find it unlikely.

second point, disagree with the china thing. i think it is because they are a large country with viable military, and a regional power on 2 continents. they are way more of an issue than we can legitemately deal with.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

And this my friends, is why the US needs a president who will be willing to delve into correct foreign policy.
    Agreed. One of the biggest things that makes me nervous is who we have handling this touchy situation.

I'm not going to accuse anybody, I know all sides involved have their own perspective and feel their actions are the right ones.
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Yeah, Russia's president might also be upset...

I doubt much will come of this in terms of a global conflict but I have heard reports of ethical cleasing could be a Balkans 2.0

What would correct foreign policy be? I would say just stand back. It's their issue. I don't like violence, but we have way too much on our hands as it is.

What's the deal with Georgia? Why do they want to split? Can anyone bring me up to date with this country? I know it used to be part of the USSR, and half of it wants to stay in Russia and half doesn't? That's my understanding so far.

Putin is going to be upset sure but I don't think it'll mean too much to him. His respect for bush is so low I doubt he takes any threats or signs of force too seriously.

Couldn't agree more on your final point though.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Yeah, Russia's president might also be upset...

I doubt much will come of this in terms of a global conflict but I have heard reports of ethical cleasing could be a Balkans 2.0
    Ethical cleansing huh? :P Now *that* is an interesting idea.

Right now, the US and EU are doing what they should do, urge everyone involved to calm the f*** down, but supposedly Kazakhstan for instance is allying with Russia, I can imagine a slow dribble of countries choosing sides that will finally force larger countries to get involved to protect their interests. It could be very bad, or it could be only a little bad (many people are already dead, it certainly isn't *good*)
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What would correct foreign policy be? I would say just stand back. It's their issue. I don't like violence, but we have way too much on our hands as it is.

What's the deal with Georgia? Why do they want to split? Can anyone bring me up to date with this country? I know it used to be part of the USSR, and half of it wants to stay in Russia and half doesn't? That's my understanding so far.
    Correct foreign policy as in willing to negotiate and not go in and blow shit up first.

Er...is it me, or is it funny that there's a McCain 2008 ad?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Er...is it me, or is it funny that there's a McCain 2008 ad?
    Thank God I'm premium and don't get to see that idiot's face!

Thread Information