Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the PS3 Save Sony?

Just finished the article. I have no idea why they pulled out of plasmas. They show the best by far amongst plasmas and rear projections. I personally have compared an old(ish) Sony XBR 50 inch plasma (made in 2004) with my cousin's newer Sharp Aquos, and in my opinion the Sony blows it away. Panasonic still makes and markets them.

People are afraid of burn in and all, but to be honest, I haven't seen any. Unless you're retarded and play video games all day or watch stock tickers endlessly, you'll see a bit, but if you watch HD anything it'll refresh the pixels and it'll go away after a half hour or so.

Way to go Sony, you go for the popular technology, not the better one.

By all means, I'm a Sony fan, but it makes you wonder, where did they go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post

Gamers love to think they have a big unfluence on companies, but does it really affect Sony that much?
    I think if gamers stopped buying Playstations and games tomorrow, yea....it would hit Sony in the gut pretty good.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

The company that created the transistor radio and the Walkman is at the precipice. If Sony's new $600 console doesn't blow gamers away, it may be time to say sayonara.
    Yes they will go bankrupt and completely cease to function if the PS3 doesn't sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I didn't really read the article but does it adress that they make the best selling LCD HD TVs in the world? Or the Blu-Ray is the only other option to conventional DVDs now? I think they're doing alright...
    Read the article and all will be explained. And I'd be surprised if they had the best selling HD LCDs here. Samsung shift a crap load of LCDs down under.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Just finished the article. I have no idea why they pulled out of plasmas. They show the best by far amongst plasmas and rear projections. I personally have compared an old(ish) Sony XBR 50 inch plasma (made in 2004) with my cousin's newer Sharp Aquos, and in my opinion the Sony blows it away. Panasonic still makes and markets them.
    Pioneer > All. The problem with Plasmas is that when they came out they were still designed as display monitors (i.e for presentations, displays etc etc), not as TV screens.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 08-25-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Pioneer > All. The problem with Plasmas is that when they came out they were still designed as display monitors (i.e for presentations, displays etc etc), not as TV screens.
    What does Pioneer make? LCDs or Plasmas?

And wouldn't that be a good thing? Plasmas would show better then.

Pioneer makes plasma screens exclusively.

They also make the best plasma screens on the market.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Not any longer ... they now buy them from Pioner/Matsushita.

And the noew LCD screens use Sharp panels.

However, their value-add comes fomr the filtering/DSP they deliver improving contrast and smear
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Their LCD line looks like they're only available in Europe. Not stateside.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

One could guess Sony Computer Entertainment made enough dough selling 102 million original PlayStation consoles, 140 million PlayStation 2 consoles and 960 million games.

I guess they can afford a not-so-successful PS3, even though it has now sold 14.41 million units, which isn't very far behind the Xbox 360 and its 19 million units worldwide.

I don't consider the Wii a direct competitor to the PS3/Xbox 360, simply because it's far less advance technology-wise, is much cheaper and isn't aimed at all at the same audience. It's hard to compare sales then. But meh. Video game consoles are video game consoles...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post

They also make the best plasma screens on the market.
    Not to be showing off or anything, but that Sony plasma did cost $10,000, MSRP (of coursem street prices are lower) at the time it was unveiled, and I'm still in awe of the colors it produces, 4 years later.

I just think it's strange that Sony would replace a superior technology with something a little less on par.

I'd gladly have some of the downfalls of plasma just for it to show better. You're not talking about longevity, you're talking about home theater systems.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    One could guess Sony Computer Entertainment made enough dough selling 102 million original PlayStation consoles, 140 million PlayStation 2 consoles and 960 million games.

I guess they can afford a not-so-successful PS3, even though it has now sold 14.41 million units, which isn't very far behind the Xbox 360 and its 19 million units worldwide.

I don't consider the Wii a direct competitor to the PS3/Xbox 360, simply because it's far less advance technology-wise, is much cheaper and isn't aimed at all at the same audience. It's hard to compare sales then. But meh. Video game consoles are video game consoles...
    I think the XBOX 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan last month or something. There's definitely something wrong with the PS3 though, but that won't stop me from buying one in the future, even if it's just for Blu Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I think the XBOX 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan last month or something. There's definitely something wrong with the PS3 though, but that won't stop me from buying one in the future, even if it's just for Blu Ray.
    Do you have a link/source?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

LCD HDTV > all.
    Watch something in 1080p on a LCD HDTV (a good one, not a cheapass, low price one), and then compare it to 1080p on a plasma. The image on the LCD HDTV is probably going to be A LOT crisper, and you're not going to get ghosting.

LCD's can't produce the true blacks that plasmas can. They also don't wash out in sunlight as easily, which in most homes can be a problem (unless you have an actual home theater room, in which case you're going to go projector anyway).

And have fun with your LCD and its tearing on fast-moving content.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Do you have a link/source?
    It was on Gizmodo, not sure how seriously it can be taken.

Console Wars: Xbox 360 Outsells PS3 In Japan, Totally Sold Out

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    LCD HDTV > all.
    Watch something in 1080p on a LCD HDTV (a good one, not a cheapass, low price one), and then compare it to 1080p on a plasma. The image on the LCD HDTV is probably going to be A LOT crisper, and you're not going to get ghosting.
    What the Quiggs said, basically.

Thread Information