Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are V8 Supercars better than the old ATCC ?

Are V8 Supercars better than the old ATCC ?

I was watching a few youtube videos tonight because I have no life and after watching a few of the 1990 ones I noticed at most circuits the crowds were packed to the rafters. We have Tony Cockrane now spouting about the V8 never being healthier and that the championship was dying when the Nissans, Sierras, Volvos, Beemers and Commodore were racing each other but the footage tells another story. Admittedly the sponsors, corprates are more prevalent these days but would of the same thing happened if we kept the same formula ?

Probably none of you younguns will remember the ATCC but I remember heading out to Mallala and watching the GTR debut and the place was packed... 20deep on the mounds all round the circuit and the stands packed.

Your thoughts ?

1990 ATCC

oran park 1990

Mallala 1990

Lakeside beautiful Lakeside 1990

Winton 1990

Winton

Queensland raceway should be at Lakeside

Hidden Valley
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Your life belongs to us charged and yes imo the 'new' formula is old and tired and meaningless and a shallow residue of what used to be

The racing just isnt as good as it was. After 40 years I really do hate to admit this but in regards to our 'premier class' I've just about given up on expecting old-style great racing and these days I'm usually only in it for the crashes

Hey, I'm 32 I'm a old dog..

It's questionable with me, In 05 when i went to Bathurst, IT was packed, This prick i knew went to winton the year before, IT also was packed, You don't see crowds hanging over the rafters anymore, Maybe because they are so shit scared of someone getting injured and suing them..

To me, Racing is closer, Noone overly dominates the season anymore..

Then, Me personally, I don't watch it anymore.

My Man Garth wins the Championship, I don't get overly excited, Because i hate the fans as much as the format now.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I meant 40 years of watching motor racing

Cockrain's thoopercar sideshow set a new low recently, it was a few meets ago I think it might have been Queensland. This was when a modestly sized piece of cotton flag that was lying otherwise inconsequentially on the main straight, for some reason caused the safety car to - in the new vernacular- be 'deployed' late in the race.

In reality this amounted to nothing more than a cheap blatant move to manufacture an 'exciting finish' for TV land, by eliminating the massive lead being enjoyed at the time by that seemingly vaporous young individual and chronic lisper I call 'inclement arsehole' aka frosty who iirc drives for FPR

I am 45 and love the v8 supercars,but i miss the days when all car makers raced all makes and models. Then with drivers like BROCKY RIP missing he was fantastic still my hero and im not ashamed to say it so i think some of the lime light from this sport has dropped. Going to see brocky and dicky fight all day has gone.Now we seattle for tander, kelly ,lowndes,winterbottom its fun to watch still but i would love to see old school back on the track,At least they would have the slower cars on track to get passed. Oran park is closing that was a good track to view the races ,been there many times and only once to bathurst ,and the feeling there was awsome all walks of life and its always packed to the brim,then again so was oran park. So to sum this up racing has lost some of the wow factor not having a mixed field but its getting better each year with performance v8.

This is a good watch as well Dicky in the Mustang ... Hotlap round Lakeside,

its a fantastic circuit much better than the paperclip
    YouTube - Lap of Lakeside with Dick Johnson Ford Mustang
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I've only seen the old ATCC in clips and whatnot, but I much prefer to watch even the current Aus GT races than the V8 Supercars.

Woudl ATCC be australian touring car championship?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Charged, watching old races on you tube is much more respectable than anything on television tonight. IMO diversity of machinery makes for a much more enjoyable race, even if one manufacturer manages to dominate. Thats just one of the many reasons why I can't stomach NASCAR.

Any race thats a two horse race more then once, is boring.

They all look the same, perform the same, drive the same... its boring.

Bring back an open platform for all manufacturers dammit, the only reason its still going is so Holden and Ford can pass off the pez spec entry models as 'wannabe V8 supercars' to idiot men who dont know any better.
    The Datto will rage again...

I'd rather go down to the track in town and watch a classics series or something like that these days, just seems more real and open and just more interesting.

If anyone watched that 'Australias Naughtiest Home Videos' on Ch 9 this week (the one that got pulled off the air in 1994 or whenever it was and they [ch 9] only now feel certain old Kerry Packer is dead enough so that he cant get to them to throttle them...), old Neil Crompton certainly looked like he enjoyed the old ATCC as well judging by the boner he had while talking about and looking at Jim Richards (I think) black JPS BMW...
    As for the V8's, I'll always watch them, but I dont feel so bad if I miss a race during the weekend to go to the shops or something where as once apon a time, I would have slit my wrists if I had missed a second of the racing. I might add that I dont miss a second of the race at Bathurst only cos I love the track so much.
    Last edited by Daz27; 08-30-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

i have tapes of group A racing starting in 1987 i wonder how you get them onto a computer from VHS though?

But yes the current catigory is stale ditch it go for modifed stock cars again.
    Last edited by Falcon500; 08-30-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

There are companies around that convert VHS or film to DVD, there was one in Adelaide that used to adevrtise a fair bit on radio but I'm stuffed if I remember the name of them.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    i have tapes of group A racing starting in 1987 i wonder how you get them onto a computer from VHS though?

But yes the current catigory is stale ditch it go for modifed stock cars again.
    If you have a DVD recorder, a VCR and A/V cables, you can connect the VCR to the DVD player and have the DVD recorder record from the VCR onto a DVD. That's about all I can do.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information