Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Bicycle thread

I had an aluminum-framed Cannondale which beat me half to death. Then I got a wonderful carbon-fiber Kestrel and finally a recumbent. All together, I probably rode over 30,000 miles in 15 years of riding, maxxing out at 5200 miles in one year, just to say I rode a hundred miles a week.

But then my knees got creaky, I tore my left quad muscle trying to power up a hill and overall, I just got older and busier when we bought a home. I've sold the recumbent, given away the Cannondale and the Kestrel is just gathering dust. I've not turned a single spin on the cranks in over 3 years. Now my exercise consists of walking a mile a day with our dogs.

Yes, I do miss the rides...

Used to Mountain Bike a bit, haven't gone for a proper ride in a couple of years now. I'm on an decent, but old (6 years), mongoose (24 speed, hard-tail) that needs a couple of repairs. Just a couple of new sprockets and the gear cable that is broken -.- its a pain when on the flat, but I survive. Medium frame but it is getting a bit small for me so trying to persuade parents to buy me a large frame of some sort.

I mainly use it for biking to school now and the odd cross-country ride down at our batch.

Theres a few good places in NZ for mountain biking, Rotorua and the Taupo area is were I used to go...
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

I use my bike more than my car when i am at uni... its cheaper and i stay looking like i do... thin!

its a good 15k ride to uni and that takes me a bit over half and hour which keeps me nice and fit

i get around on a 2003 Giant Yukon, very very good bike would love to upgrade to the new model as it has disk brakes and a bit better front shocks... do a little bit of downhill work but as the bike is a hard-tail i usually limit this to the fast smooth sections the access roads for the snow fields in summer is a favorite of mine
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

must..resist...posting..quigg's mom..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    I use my bike more than my car when i am at uni... its cheaper and i stay looking like i do... thin!

its a good 15k ride to uni and that takes me a bit over half and hour which keeps me nice and fit

i get around on a 2003 Giant Yukon, very very good bike would love to upgrade to the new model as it has disk brakes and a bit better front shocks... do a little bit of downhill work but as the bike is a hard-tail i usually limit this to the fast smooth sections the access roads for the snow fields in summer is a favorite of mine
    On a good day a ride to school is just below 10k which has been done in just over 15min approx

At least my bike has disk brakes
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

I used to ride (cheap) mountain bikes to destruction in La Cerdanya (northern Catalunya) years ago.

I think I may need to upgrade to an off-roader or something...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I jumped off a 50 cm high rock today, at speed It was really scary, but I guess some of you have jumped off rocks ten times tall! I also watched The Collective - Roam today (awesome) and I think I will order their new Seasons DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    heres my bike
    Same.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    heres my bike
    i've actually seen guys rollin around central park on those things gettin some serious speed!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

well, i just purchased a bike today. a specialized CrossTrail Expert. I aim to use it primarily for commuting, but also some more long distance rides. Its comfortable with 700C wheels, front shocks, and disc brakes. Havevn't taken it out for anything longer than a few hundred feet yet. my wife and I will probably go out this evening once it cools down a bit.

speaking of my wife, we also got her a bike today. A Trek 7300 WSD.

We also got helmets, locks, and all the other ancillaries required of bike ownership these days.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemmel View Post
    I jumped off a 50 cm high rock today, at speed It was really scary, but I guess some of you have jumped off rocks ten times tall! I also watched The Collective - Roam today (awesome) and I think I will order their new Seasons DVD.
    I have The Collective and ROAM, haven't seen Seasons, but I've heard it's even better than the other two. And I bet 50cm on an old hardtail is indeed scary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    New bike on the way for me, will post some pics when the Italians have had their way with the fibres of carbon....
    Bianchi?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

At the moment I'm thinking about buying a freeride/DH KTM bike. I don't know much about them, but at least they look the part

KTM Bikes // Bikes vom Besten!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    well, i just purchased a bike today. a specialized CrossTrail Expert. I aim to use it primarily for commuting, but also some more long distance rides. Its comfortable with 700C wheels, front shocks...
    I personally think you did the best buy, congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Klemmel View Post
    I personally think you did the best buy, congratulations
    thanks... still getting used to being back on a bike. but so far, it rides beautifully.

and this is the first time ive been able to adjust preload on shocks, and that is a fantastic option.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Can't tell too well by the picture but I was thinking skinny tires, high seat, thin frame.
    no thats not the MAKO but its the same size, higher seat and the tires arent fat. the frame only weighs around 18 lbs. The one in the picture actually weighs about 16lbs

Thread Information