13 22.03%
  • Manik

1 1.69%
  • John Thawley

17 28.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Photography Competition #178 [Voting, Pt. 2]

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i understand what you're saying, but would the winner with 3 votes not still be the winner? and would the winner with 20 votes also not be the winner. so its just taking the best 2 from each thread. we aren't out to find second place, just the winner.

and trust me, this is the guy who has no wins up there talking. we've just been through this numerous times already, long before you joined this site John. it may not be the ideal solution, but its the solution we have come up with given the restraints of the software.

if you have a better idea, then please, let's hear it.
    Well, no... how could someone with lesser votes be the winner? The pictures were arbitrarily split and thrown into a thread. And, you can vote in both threads. Sorry, it just makes no sense, anyway you cut it.

It's not about winning. I'm not winning in either contest... but the winner of the contest should be able to have the knowledge that he won with the best picture and against the other best pictures.
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

Setting the best way of figuring out the winner aside, everyone should just vote in all the voting threads. Even if you think every single photo in one of the threads is crap, just vote for the one that you think is the best of the bunch/the least crap.

Next week we'll return to a single thread again

Quote Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
    Well, no... how could someone with lesser votes be the winner? The pictures were arbitrarily split and thrown into a thread. And, you can vote in both threads. Sorry, it just makes no sense, anyway you cut it.

It's not about winning. I'm not winning in either contest... but the winner of the contest should be able to have the knowledge that he won with the best picture and against the other best pictures.
    How do you figure? Each picture gets the same chances. Do you think that the picture that loses in the first vote will beat the winning picture in the vote off?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

three absolutely fantastic entries here... Wouter, Phan Vu and John. I voted for Wouter because of greatest technical perfection
    12 cylinders or walk!

[QUOTE=Wouter Melissen;829114]How do you figure? Each picture gets the same chances. Do you think that the picture that loses in the first vote will beat the winning picture in the vote off?[/QUOTE

No, but if you're going to have a "shoot-out," as it were, it should simply be among the two highest vote getters. The two threads should have no relevance whatsoever.

And it that scenario, there might be a change. According your assertion, there's not going to be a change anyway. Right?

JT

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    three absolutely fantastic entries here... Wouter, Phan Vu and John. I voted for Wouter because of greatest technical perfection
    Wouter's shot is too good! Great capture and also great technique! Got my vote, no doubt.
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

[QUOTE=John Thawley;829117]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    How do you figure? Each picture gets the same chances. Do you think that the picture that loses in the first vote will beat the winning picture in the vote off?[/QUOTE

No, but if you're going to have a "shoot-out," as it were, it should simply be among the two highest vote getters. The two threads should have no relevance whatsoever.

And it that scenario, there might be a change. According your assertion, there's not going to be a change anyway. Right?

JT

I understand your concern. Once it comes to a 'vote-off' a lot (if not all) of the same users will come back and vote again. The biggest

hypothetical scenario, two polls:
    poll 1: 1st place, user A wins with 20 votes. 2nd place user B has 19 votes. Lets say that I voted for user B, but he doesn't get a chance to go up against the winner of the other Poll, however in my opinion his shot is much better than the winner of poll 2.

It all comes down the the issue of how the entries are selected for each poll. they should each have an equal number of 'good' entries and 'bad' entries, but that's all at the poll creator's discretion.

I suggest we only allow one poll, and it's limited to the first 10 or 15 or however many entries are allowed in a poll. We all know you can post more images than 6 in a thread, so it depends on the poll entry limit. There shouldn't be any source for argument from that.

From here on, that's something that needs to be stated in each competition entering thread. Limit of __ entires allowed.
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

Quote Originally Posted by <AAA-MOD> View Post
    It all comes down the the issue of how the entries are selected for each poll. they should each have an equal number of 'good' entries and 'bad' entries, but that's all at the poll creator's discretion.
    I added the submissions in the order they were originally posted.

I suggest we only allow one poll, and it's limited to the first 10 or 15 or however many entries are allowed in a poll. We all know you can post more images than 6 in a thread, so it depends on the poll entry limit. There shouldn't be any source for argument from that.

From here on, that's something that needs to be stated in each competition entering thread. Limit of __ entires allowed.
    Agreed. This seems like a valid point.

fair enough for me. in this way pictures taken by chance just two minutes before of the time limit, wouldn't be entered against other shots taken with a certain work behind them.
    even if sometimes those are awesome images, it could be frustrating that you are studying and preparing your shots for a while and with a proper research of the final result (which could still be horrible) and they are going to compete in a "last-minute" competition.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I like it the way it's done now, this vote is to choose the best picture, not to decide the 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to have a shoot-out between two pictures that have already been voted on by the same people.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    fair enough for me. in this way pictures taken by chance just two minutes before of the time limit, wouldn't be entered against other shots taken with a certain work behind them.
    even if sometimes those are awesome images, it could be frustrating that you are studying and preparing your shots for a while and with a proper research of the final result (which could still be horrible) and they are going to compete in a "last-minute" competition.
    it really won't matter how much thought or time went into any of them. i think we've all taken both types of shots. the ones that we set up for an hour ahead, and then the ones we just happen to turn our heads and see.

all that matters is a first-come first-served limit in each comp. any entries entered over the limit will be kept in the entry thread, but labelled as exceeding the limit, and they have the first opportunity to enter the next comp. in all cases, only one poll will be created each week.

only my thoughts and suggestions on the matter..........
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

it really won't matter how much thought or time went into any of them. i think we've all taken both types of shots. the ones that we set up for an hour ahead, and then the ones we just happen to turn our heads and see.
    I'm not a pro, I think that was clear enough.

but the idea of posting the "exceeding the limit" shots in the next week comp isn't going to work probably, in the time of a couple of competition we would have competitions already full even before starting.
    my idea is to enter just the images posted in the time limit, and the others would eventually be re-entered by the users who posted them the first time, if they still want to do it.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Haha, so much talk over so little. The thing is, if thread 1 is won with 3 votes and thread 2 is won with 20 votes, beating one with 15 votes, then the photo will clearly win the head-to-head and has already beaten the runner up of thread 2. I really don't see how this is in any way an issue.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Personally I've never really seen the current set up as being problematic.

Firstly, I've never really seen any complaints about who was the deserving winner (except maybe from henk! )

Secondly, there have been times in the past where entries in the photo comps have been very small and disappointing. It seems at the moment that we have a lot of interest and a lot of talent going on with the photo comps. If we start restricting the number of entries to just ten it may end up putting people off entering, which would be a terrible shame. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Thirdly, it's just for fun guys! It's not like there are any prizes up for grabs, just a friendly bit of competition. No need to take rules and regs so seriously IMO.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Thirdly, it's just for fun guys! It's not like there are any prizes up for grabs, just a friendly bit of competition. No need to take rules and regs so seriously IMO.
    Then just post them and don't vote at all.

Thread Information