• Fumacher

13 22.03%
  • Manik

1 1.69%
  • John Thawley

17 28.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Photography Competition #178 [Voting, Pt. 2]

I hate to be the bitter betty here, but the fact remains that Im not a professional photographer and I cant compete with the professional photographers like John Thawley, Wouter and those guys. I was trying to compete with the earlier entries of comp #178. All these entrants can now compete in the first voting thread while Im up against photographers that didnt enter before the due date. Does anyone understand what Im trying to say?

Im now competing against photographers of a higher 'rank' so to say while the first entrants arent.
    Last edited by superwaxer; 09-03-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Quote Originally Posted by superwaxer View Post
    I hate to be the bitter betty here, but the fact remains that Im not a professional photographer and I cant compete with the professional photographers like John Thawley, Wouter and those guys. I was trying to compete with the earlier entries of comp #178. All these entrants can now compete in the first voting thread while Im up against photographers that didnt enter before the due date. Does anyone understand what Im trying to say?

Im now competing against photographers of a higher 'rank' so to say while the first entrants arent.
    I am afraid if you had been in the other voting thread you would have lost too....and not because of the quality of your picture.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

you do have a valid point, which is one of the reasons i have been entering a lot less frequently as of late. there are several professional photographers with professional equipment and processing capabilities that most of us dont have.

but i do still enter because i like taking pictures, and every now and then i can come up with a really good shot, and sometimes stand a chance. not always do those who have the best gear, and access to the best cars, win these competitions.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    but i do still enter because i like taking pictures, and every now and then i can come up with a really good shot, and sometimes stand a chance. not always do those who have the best gear, and access to the best cars, win these competitions.
    I think that is the spirit, and if people would accept comments on their pictures, it could be helpful for everybody.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I am afraid if you had been in the other voting thread you would have lost too....and not because of the quality of your picture.
    Thats not the point. I would have been more competitive in the other voting thread than in this one. Im not mad or going suicidal or something, Im just trying to get my point across so this doesnt happen again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    you do have a valid point, which is one of the reasons i have been entering a lot less frequently as of late. there are several professional photographers with professional equipment and processing capabilities that most of us dont have.

I agree totally. Im very serious about my photography but I dont have the best equipment, photographer passes etc. Is there a possiblity that we can have a beginners thread/contest for people (like me) to enter? Its not that serious Im just proposing.

I will keep on entering though!
    Last edited by superwaxer; 09-03-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Another spelling error

Thats not the point. I would have been more competitive in the other voting thread than in this one. Im not mad or going suicidal or something, Im just trying to get my point across so this doesnt happen again in the future.
    OK, as long as you can enjoy taking and submitting pictures, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
    Then just post them and don't vote at all.
    Everyones a little bit competitive though. We all want to see what others think of as the "best" photograph.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    Haha, so much talk over so little. The thing is, if thread 1 is won with 3 votes and thread 2 is won with 20 votes, beating one with 15 votes, then the photo will clearly win the head-to-head and has already beaten the runner up of thread 2. I really don't see how this is in any way an issue.
    this is a valid observation...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

You hurt my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    You hurt my feelings
    Hey, chin up... I'm in that group as well, haha.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Let's just put the voting in only one thread next time and everybody will be happy.

Good.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Hey, chin up... I'm in that group as well, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    You hurt my feelings
    Lol sorry I didnt mean that the first entrants are weak, Im just saying that the later entrants are hard out professionals! I suck too by the way

Lol sorry I didnt mean that the first entrants are weak, Im just saying that the later entrants are hard out professionals! I suck too by the way
    hehe, don't worry

Haha, so much talk over so little. The thing is, if thread 1 is won with 3 votes and thread 2 is won with 20 votes, beating one with 15 votes, then the photo will clearly win the head-to-head and has already beaten the runner up of thread 2. I really don't see how this is in any way an issue.
    Again, you haven't thought this through. You are ASSUMING that voters for the other 15 or so pictures will vote for the same photo. When it is down to the top two VOTE getters, people redistribute their vote. They didn't vote for the top vote getter the first time, what makes you ASSUME they'll vote for it the second time? They all may have NOT voted for the current top vote getter for a reason.

Let's not ASSUME, Pat.

Either way, people have taken the time to post their photos, per the rules set forth... they're entitled to voting system that is fair and equal. It's not about winning.. it's about having fun and seeing what each other comes up with each week. But if they're going to be judged, I think people have the right to expect a level playing field.

JT
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

Thread Information