Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic (affordable) cars

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I don't know how much leeway we're giving 'classic' here. For an affordable older car though, I've always thought of just abandoning practicality and going for a Toyota MR2. They're cheap and great. I'd have to go with 2nd gen though. The 1st gen have quite a following and are supposedly liked more because they're lighter, but they're just too ugly to me. The second gen are elegant.
    the MR-2 will always try and kill you though. supposedly (from and MR-2 owner) the first and third gens are a bit safer on the edge, and wont as easily throw you into a spin once you hit a pebble in the road. the second gen, which i also agree is the best looking, will throw you into a spin. very easily.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    According to the wiki, Toyota changed the car in 1993 because of driving problems like that, does your friend have an older one?

Honestly the Mk3 MR2 is on my short list of new cars to get, I just didn't think it would count in the 'affordable classics' discussion. :P
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the MR-2 will always try and kill you though. supposedly (from and MR-2 owner) the first and third gens are a bit safer on the edge, and wont as easily throw you into a spin once you hit a pebble in the road. the second gen, which i also agree is the best looking, will throw you into a spin. very easily.
    It's why I sold mine.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It's why I sold mine.
    Pussy.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Pussy.
    Maybe I should have finetuned the suspension.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Maybe I should have finetuned the suspension.
    Or your driving.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Dave, should we declare "no balls" on Wouter?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    What is it anyways? Its mid engined, I thought it had pretty good weight balance. Jittery suspension?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

mr-2 couldn't be much worse than an older 911 in terms of snap oversteer.

that said, my cousin did go through a two fences and a shop front in his in the wet, although i ascribe that to his lack of talent
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

my friend 'had' and gen2 turbo. he lost it in a corner when a deer ran out in front of him. he caught one rear wheel in the gravel on the side of the road, and he spun off into the woods. sailed through a couple of small trees, and if anyone had been in the passenger side, they would not have fared so well. he got out with a few bruises and scratches (mainly from having to climb through the thicket back to the road).

somehow through all of this he like them. he still has the wrecked one, and wants to take the engine and put it in a gen1. since the gen 2 turbo had so much more power than the first. still sounds like suicide to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TehRacer View Post
    Yeah but they break a lot. Trust me I know two people that have them.
    Between my father and I we have over 10 mgs. I know their tendencies, but lack of proper maintenance is a huge cause of their problems. The race car has been bulletproof ( knocks on wood) for the past few years of regular competition.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    According to the wiki, Toyota changed the car in 1993 because of driving problems like that, does your friend have an older one?

Honestly the Mk3 MR2 is on my short list of new cars to get, I just didn't think it would count in the 'affordable classics' discussion. :P
    First mistake your trusting wiki....alot of things on there should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we have been coming each year since 2005, and will be back next year. We might have been at the same 7-eleven gas station, did you see the Mustang with license plate #14?.... I got several shots of Andretti, both in the corkscrew and in turn 11.
    Well I guess we have a habit then of being at the same place at the same time and not knowing we were even there. I think I might remember the Mustang but then again I'm not too sure. Would you mind emailing me those pictures you took of him? If its not too much trouble just send them to arashmehdipour@ yahoo.com. Thanks buddy, and hope to see you next year!
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 09-08-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spambots will eat you.
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

we should all get together... have a monterey area UCP shindig.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    I might have a chance to sell my car for a reasonably good price. Not that the budget really matters because I'm curious on your opinions too. So i wanna know if you had some extra cash laying around, what kind of car would you buy that would stand out? for instance, and old jaguar or E30. Anything semi rare or just cool looking. Or maybe something with some heritage. It doesn't really matter how much, I'm just curious.
    Well, I've already got my "affordable" classic. It's semi-rare these days, is very cool looking (IMO), and it definitely stands out. If those are your criteria and you're not concerned with fuel mileage, I recommend an American personal luxury coupe from the 1970's, something like a Thunderbird or Lincoln Continental. If you can find one, you could get a Chrysler Cordoba and brag about your rich Corinthian leather.

Alternatively, you could live up to your username and try to find a Plymouth Barracuda. I imagine some of the later (the last Barracudas were made in 1974) V-6 powered models might qualify as "affordable."
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Thread Information