Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Calais VY LS1 V8 or Ford XR6 Turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by AERO_HDT View Post
    If you were to go either, I'd have to go the Calais. I've driven both cars over the years, as my business had clients which catered to both vehicles. The interior on the XR is complete rubbish if you don't have leather. The carpets are cheap and thin, the doortrims are woeful and to be serious, I've come across more BA Falcs with "broken" interior fittings (the lower seat panels are the first to go) than most other cars.
    In 4 years the only interior damage to my dad's was when his briefcase slid across the seat and smashed a speaker cover, so they're pretty hardy.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

We had a few issues with the Fairmont over time. I still had until the collection some of the parts we replaced that cracked and faded.
    Of late i have come across some that have moaned about some bits and peaces.
    Mine is pretty much the same it's just had my TLC and foot to care for it.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

You cant necessarily say one make will stick together better than another. The nature of mass produced cars is you'll get lemons and you'll get the complete opposite.
    I am the Stig

Perhaps you're right, but I've been in the detailing business for 10 years and it's just an observation that I had made based upon my experiences. I've done thousands of Falcons, and an equal number of Commodores and I've seen the best and seen the worst.

On average, I found the BA interior trim parts were more prone to breakage than a similar era VY-VZ. And having worked at Broadmeadows with both Ford and FPV, I've seen more than most.

I understand that there's lemons and roses on the production line, if you ask me both makers screw their cars together in the same manner, but I think Ford skimped on materials for the BA.

Once again, just my two cents.

UPDATE: Have driven a few of each, Calais quieter and feels like better build quality but IMHO the XR6T with Capa flash tune would kill the LS1, it felt much much faster and the engine felt a lot smoother and more refined than the LS1 but the LS1 sounded better, but to be fair on the LS1 I have not driven a modified or tuned version so maybe I'm selling them a bit short, but the Calais was very classy and felt it to drive, it would really come down to how much money I guess, if the right car showed up at the right price I'd buy either.

I bought a BA XR6 Turbo blueprint with premium sound and don't regret it one bit, the XR6 Turbo has got to be one of Australia's best kept secrets, I always knew they were good, but I never expected it to be this good

pics? good to hear you like it.

oh and blueprint is the colour i'm putting on my mini lol.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Did the premium sound come with the colour ICC screen or just the 6 stacker?
    I am the Stig

sorry everyone, I have not been on here for months.

The premium sound came with the large ICC display with the "welcome to ford" logo when you start up, the large window display makes all the difference to the impression of luxury of the car from the inside, the XR6T's I looked at without it still looked like taxis from the inside.....fast taxis though, "get me to the airport Abdul.....I'm in a hurry"

It's now one of only two XR6T's in SA with Liquid LPG injection, it goes like hell with the gas injection (more top end on gas more bottom end on petrol)
    but need an injector upgrade as it is using too much gas at the moment but it still only costs $25.00 a week to run Later I want to get it tuned, it is currently 186rwkw's on petrol which is about average I think, but the other XR6T here in SA I'm aware of made 221rwkw's on gas with just a gas injector upgrade, I have not had mine dynoed yet on gas. The torque is increased a lot on gas, it will pull in 3rd gear (auto in manual mode) from 1500rpm without raising a sweat and the midrange roll on power of these cars is absolutely amazing on gas or petrol, I doubt many stock cars out there could match the roll on power flexibility of these cars.
    Traction control works on gas with this new JTG LI system which is good because it would be a pain in the arse in the wet (or dry sometimes) without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by muso; 06-27-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Ford will be the first choice of majority people.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 08-13-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information