Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Volt 2008-

Chevrolet Volt 2008-

hide-out plz

Chevrolet Volt Leads General Motors Into Its Second Century

DETROIT - General Motors launched its next 100 years today by unveiling the much-anticipated production version of the Chevrolet Volt - a vehicle that delivers up to 40 miles of gasoline- and emissions-free electric driving, with the extended-range capability of hundreds of additional miles.

"Revealing the production version of the Chevy Volt is a great way to open our second century," said Rick Wagoner, GM Chairman and CEO. "The Volt is symbolic of GM's strong commitment to the future ... just the kind of technology innovation that our industry needs to respond to today's and tomorrow's energy and environmental challenges."

Form follows function
    The design of the Chevrolet Volt production car has evolved from the original concept that was unveiled at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Because aerodynamics plays a key role in maximizing driving range, GM designers created an aerodynamically efficient design for the production vehicle. Many of the design cues from the concept vehicle endure in the production Volt, including the closed front grille, athletic stance, rear design graphics, outside rearview mirrors and more. The Volt's rounded and flush front fascia, tapered corners and grille are functional, enabling air to move easily around the car. In the rear, sharp edges and a carefully designed spoiler allow the air to flow off and away quickly. An aggressive rake on the windshield and back glass help reduce turbulence and drag.

Working closely with GM aerodynamicists to shape the Volt, design and engineering teams developed one of the most aerodynamic vehicles in GM's history. They spent hundreds of hours with the Volt in GM's wind tunnel, testing and re-testing parts such as the front and rear quarter panels, rear spoiler, rockers and side mirrors. Aerodynamic improvements enabled GM to reach the Volt's target of driving up to 40 miles (based on EPA city cycle) without using gasoline or producing emissions.

Inside, the Volt offers the space, comfort, convenience and safety features that customers expect in a four-passenger sedan, and it delivers them in a variety of interior color, lighting and trim options unlike any offered before on a Chevrolet sedan. Modern controls and attractive materials, two informational displays, and a touch-sensitive infotainment center with integrated shifter distinguish the Volt's interior from other vehicles in the market.

Some of Volt's interior technological features include:

* Driver-configurable, liquid crystal instrument display
    * Standard seven-inch touch screen vehicle information display
    * Touch screen-style climate and infotainment controls
    * Optional navigation system with onboard hard drive for maps and music storage
    * Standard Bluetooth for cellular phone and USB/Bluetooth for music streaming

New era in automotive transportation
    The Chevrolet Volt is leading a new era of electrification of the automobile by creating a new class of vehicle known as the Extended-Range Electric Vehicle, or E-REV.

The Volt uses electricity to move the wheels at all times and speeds. For trips up to 40 miles, the Volt is powered only by electricity stored in its 16-kWh, lithium-ion battery. When the battery's energy is depleted, a gasoline/E85-powered engine generator seamlessly provides electricity to power the Volt's electric drive unit while simultaneously sustaining the charge of the battery. This mode of operation extends the range of the Volt for several hundred additional miles, until the vehicle's battery can be charged. Unlike a conventional battery-electric vehicle, the Volt eliminates "range anxiety," giving the confidence and peace of mind that the driver will not be stranded by a depleted battery.

The Chevrolet Volt can be plugged either into a standard household 120v outlet or use 240v for charging. The vehicle's intelligent charging technology enables the Volt's battery to be charged in less than three hours on a 240v outlet or about eight hours on a 120v outlet. Charge times are reduced if the battery has not been fully depleted. At a cost of about 80 cents per day (10 cents per kWh) for a full charge that will deliver up to 40 miles of electric driving, GM estimates that the Volt will be less expensive to recharge than purchasing a cup of your favorite coffee. Charging the Volt about once daily will consume less electric energy annually than the average home's refrigerator and freezer units.

Charge out of driving
    The Chevrolet Volt offers spirited driving performance in a remarkably quiet interior. More than 220 lithium-ion cells contained within the Volt's battery pack provide ample power. The Volt's electric drive unit delivers the equivalent of 150 horsepower, 273 lb-ft. (370 Nm) of instant torque, and a top speed of 100 miles per hour. The lack of engine noise, combined with special sound-deadening materials, make the Chevrolet Volt an extremely quiet vehicle to drive.

GM estimates that the Volt will cost about two cents per mile to drive while under battery power compared to 12 cents per mile using gasoline priced at $3.60 per gallon. For an average driver who drives 40 miles per day (or 15,000 miles per year), this amounts to a cost savings of $1,500 annually. Using peak electric rates, GM estimates that an electrically driven mile in a Chevy Volt will be about one-sixth of the cost of a conventional gasoline-powered vehicle. The cost savings are even greater when charging during off-peak hours, when electric rates are cheaper.

The Chevrolet Volt is expected to be built at GM's Detroit-Hamtramck manufacturing facility, subject to GM successfully negotiating satisfactory government incentives. Production is scheduled to begin late 2010 for models in the United States. Pricing has not been announced. Visit media.gm.com/volt for more information.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the annual global industry sales leader for 77 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 266,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 35 countries. In 2007, nearly 9.37 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at General Motors | Corporate Website | GM.

# # #

PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS: 2011 CHEVROLET VOLT

General

Vehicle type:

5-door, front-wheel-drive sedan

Category:

Extended-Range Electric Vehicle (E-REV)

E-REV competitors:

none

Chassis:

independent McPherson struts front, compound crank twist axle rear, four-wheel disc brakes, full regenerative brakes to maximize energy capture, electric power-assist steering

Seating capacity:

four

Manufacturing location:

Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly (subject to GM successfully negotiating satisfactory government incentives)

Performance

Top speed (mph):

EV range, city (miles):

40 (based on EPA city cycle)

Dimensions

Wheelbase (in / mm):

105.7 / 2685

Length (in / mm):

177 / 4404

Width (in / mm):

70.8 / 1798

Height (in / mm):

56.3 / 1430

Cargo volume (cu ft / L):

10.6 / 301

Battery system

Type:

lithium-ion

Energy (kWh)

Electric drive unit

Power (kW / hp):

111 / 150

Torque (lb-ft / Nm):

273 / 370

Exterior

Tire and wheel size:

specially developed low rolling-resistance tires on 17-inch forged aluminum wheels
    pics #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 03-06-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

pics #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

It doesn't look as good as the concept, but I read that the concept was an aerodynamic nightmare so they kind of had to change it. This car excites me though because hopefully it will work the way they say it will and that this will be a shift from traditional hybrids to better more fully-electrical cars.

EDIT: Oh yeah, happy 100 GM. Someone should start a thread for them. I would but I don't have time.

The interior. Thats just....wow.

overall it's a highly effective presentation that I hope does well.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I think it looks brilliant. In black, with some different wheels, it'd look amazing, i've no doubt about that. The interior's also pretty cool, but i don't like the plastic, iPod look.

All in all, love it, much better than the concept imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    I think it looks brilliant. In black, with some different wheels, it'd look amazing, i've no doubt about that. The interior's also pretty cool, but i don't like the plastic, iPod look.

All in all, love it, much better than the concept imo.
    Yeah, I thought about the iPod too, but on second thought I'd say Power Mac G3.

I love it.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

True, that interior does look phenomenal. For a GM too..
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I guess its main problem will be the price. it does look good, and probably it's even a good car, but it doesn't look like a 35/40k $ car or so good to be worth such an amount of money

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I guess its main problem will be the price. it does look good, and probably it's even a good car, but it doesn't look like a 35/40k $ car or so good to be worth such an amount of money
    When it's out we'll know. Now it's too early to say.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    When it's out we'll know. Now it's too early to say.
    well, we have data, both about its "performance" and its price. Usually, reality is worse than press release, but beside that, I don't think this car is going to be retained worth of that price. but yes, hard to say. I would say the same about the Panamera, but we both know it's going to sell like hot cakes. too bad.

Yeah, it seems to be the right car for the right time, but is it the right price?

well, we have data, both about its "performance" and its price. Usually, reality is worse than press release, but beside that, I don't think this car is going to be retained worth of that price. but yes, hard to say. I would say the same about the Panamera, but we both know it's going to sell like hot cakes. too bad.
    But the Panamera is going to be objectively a great car, even if we don't like it, in that aspect worthy of its price tag probably.

Maybe this will be the same, maybe not.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But the Panamera is going to be objectively a great car, even if we don't like it, in that aspect worthy of its price tag probably.

Maybe this will be the same, maybe not.
    the Panamera will be just a new and fast expensive sedan, probably better than some or all of its competitors, if there are. It can be a good car, even exiting and thrilling, but just for car enthusiasts like us. the price tag of the car is almost irrelevant.
    the Volt is a step forward in the car industry and in the individual mobility, something that everyone can/shall appreciate and use, if we can afford it though. this isn't a car that rich people would buy and drive, just because it's "green", or it doesn't appear so. I would buy it, but for less much money. I mean, 35k $ converted to € could be a good price, because beside of its performance, it doesn't offer something more, like astonishing/new style, a roomy boot, or tons of new gizmos that I can't find in any of its class competitors.

Someone at GM sure liked the Scion TC.

This may be the trick to get potential buyers to want this car. Just like most other GM cars you have to beat buyers over the head and make bargain basement deals to lure them away from the Japanese competitors...this car will be no different.

Whilst our gov't is busy propping up the entire banking/financial community with billions of dollars the car(credit) industry also has it's head barely above water waiting for a life raft.

Excerpt:

U.S. automakers have been lobbying for $25 billion in low-interest loans backed by the U.S. government for new fuel-saving technologies.
    The framework for that loan program was included in last year's energy law that established the first large increase in U.S. fuel economy targets since standards were introduced more than 30 years ago.
    Wagoner told reporters earlier that $25 billion was a "fair amount" for the auto industry.
    GM's Chevy Volt plug-in electric vehicle, the production version of which was unveiled by Wagoner earlier on Tuesday, could be one of the vehicles that could potentially benefit from the government loan program.
    The Volt, which seats four people and features a touch-sensitive entertainment center, can be recharged by plugging it into a standard electric outlet.

Business Feed Article | Business | guardian.co.uk

The concept looked disgusting. This looks so much better. In fact, it actually looks damn good. Perfect cop car.

Thread Information