Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need assistance from all petrolheads on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well you said you had fond memories of the Merc, and you searched specifically for a 250SE, so I'd keep the Merc as is.

Then if you want to race and can afford it, go for the Jag.
    Keep twisting my arm Ferrer, that 250 is a soft spot, but so is that AMG. An example of the ultimate muscle car, even the Yanks need to admit that. Google that car and look at the performance figures. There is a standard example on You Tube doing low 12's on the 1/4 mile....amazing car

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Keep twisting my arm Ferrer, that 250 is a soft spot, but so is that AMG. An example of the ultimate muscle car, even the Yanks need to admit that. Google that car and look at the performance figures. There is a standard example on You Tube doing low 12's on the 1/4 mile....amazing car
    I know it's brilliant. From an era when Mercedes-Benz was at the pinnacle of automotive construction.

But see it this way, my mother had a million years ago a Renault 11 GTL, and like you I have fond memories of that car. If I were to buy one I'm sure an 11 Turbo would the more exciting choice. But it just wouldn't be the same.

And I'm sure that the Jag isn't a slouch either.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Consider the Jag, keep the Merc as your fond memories classic show piece cruiser. Two cars are better than one. But that Merc is nice, I saw one in person at Meadowbrooks Concour's D'Elegance a couple years back.

I guess I'd take the Jag.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

What kind of engine Jag have??

The "ultimate muscle car"? Are we talking about this car?

How could a "standard example" run a 12 second quarter mile? Maybe the coupe is faster, but no way it's that much faster.

I'd say the ultimate muscle car is a black on black '68 Hemi Charger - this 250SE has nowhere near the presence of that car, and is nowhere near as fast.

How could a 2.5L engine keep up with a 7L enigne?

I'm speechless.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

How could a "standard example" run a 12 second quarter mile? Maybe the coupe is faster, but no way it's that much faster.

I'd say the ultimate muscle car is a black on black '68 Hemi Charger - this 250SE has nowhere near the presence of that car, and is nowhere near as fast.

I thought the AMG had a 6.3L
    EDIT: it does the 250 takes as long to get to 60 as the AMG takes to do the 1/4 (~12secs)
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-22-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

it's not a standard car
    it's race prepped and has a 6.3L engine
    it's the reason why the new C/CL/SL/S/CLK/E/CLS63 AMG is called a 63 even though it's a 6.2L

more cars the merrier! go for it!

never knew merc was making performance big cars for that long
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I thought the AMG had a 6.3L
    EDIT: it does the 250 takes as long to get to 60 as the AMG takes to do the 1/4 (~12secs)
    Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    it's not a standard car
    it's race prepped and has a 6.3L engine
    it's the reason why the new C/CL/SL/S/CLK/E/CLS63 AMG is called a 63 even though it's a 6.2L
    That clears things up - no less, I would not call it the ultimate muscle car - that is reserved for the American cars.

I bet you could get some pretty outrageous performance outta the big block American muscle cars if you had a tuning company play with things - Yenko did it with Camaros (Ok, so they are pony cars). With American muscle though, you could mod them easily yourself.

an original Broadspeed Jaguar was offered for sale last weekend by Bonhams at Goodwood. It was estimated at between 80-100.000 Sterling, but it failed to sell. How close is the clone to the original?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Regarding to the originality of the car, this is the introducing letter the current owner wrote to me iro the car...

Hello Basie,

The car has never raced but got it’s tec pass in 2006 and also 2007. The only thing that they said was that it would require the Mr Turbo ECU replaced with a standard one, but the original Broadspeed never had a standard Jaguar ECU! But you could tell them that a car looking just like this one raced at the South African GP in 1976. There is no tec specs for that car so you could say that it had a no standard Jaguar ECU!! I have a photo of that car somewhere and could email it to you.
    The car has always been a on going project but it could be raced now. But once you raced it a couple of times I’m sure that you would be able to improve it. Sadly I have only taken the car round the track at Zwartkops in Feb 2007 where it had a miss fire at 3700 rpm I discovered that it was the coil breaking down so have replaced it with a Magfire coil it revs freely up to 6500 rpm over that your asking to replace the engine at sometime. At Zwartkop it produced lots of interest on and off the track. It brakes well and also steers well into the corners once you have the tyres up to temp.
    The price I would like isR65,000.00 for the car and the moulds spare engine and other bits that are in the garage including if you would like them are 2, 4.2 XK engines. The Trailer hasn’t been registeres but was made for the car outside dimensions at the back wheels is 2.10 m so wide lady!! The trailer price R1500.00
    The Jaguar broadspeed is garaged at Dullstroom. If you would like to go look I would have to see if I can get the battery charge up and someone to take you there. Let me know.
    Regards,
    James

No no, we are talking about THIS car
    Attached Images Attached Images

what abouts is 65000 Rand in US$ or Euro?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information