Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95

Thread: Ferrari boss says sedan out of the question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,273

    Ferrari boss says sedan out of the question

    I coulda predicted this :
    Quote Originally Posted by Left Lane News
    As long as Luca di Montezemolo is in charge at Ferrari, the Italian automaker will never build a sedan. That was the declaration di Montezemolo made at the Paris Motor show yesterday, following the debut of rival Lamborghini’s Estoque four-door.
    While Porsche is prepping its Panamera sedan and Aston Martin is putting the finishing touches on its Rapide, Ferrari is steadfast in its opposition to such a strategy.
    The company chairman made it clear he feels sister company Maserati covers the sedan segment sufficiently. This seems to echo a recent statement by Ferrari spokesperson Davide Kluzer that SUVs and sedans are something “we will never do.”
    Di Montezemolo also noted the supercar maker would not build a vehicle with a V10. Instead, it will focus mostly on V8s, plus new fuel-efficient technologies like the Formula One Kinetic Energy Recovery System.
    So there you have it, folks. The Lamborghini Estoque will remain the world’s most exotic sedan for the foreseeable future.
    I hope they still do V12s. Maybe smaller diplacement like a 3.6 (One-and-a-half F1 V8s stuck together).
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Carthage, MO. US
    Posts
    1,339
    Im glad, because so far all the exotic sedans look ridiculous. None of them have impressed me so far. I mean, the car is a good car, but we already knew that before they made them because of the company. so mainly the focus was look and features right? well they failed miserably if you ask me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    612 type 4-seater 2-door is all the space you need in your exotic GT car. Having four doors is just being greedy.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,288
    I'm sorta wondering what role an exotic sedan will play for people. Because you could just buy a Bentley and get power, performance, and more luxury. You buy an exotic for other reasons. Of course people will still want it for it's badge and uniqueness but I don't see a reason for it to be a big long term success. I bet it's a short term niche thing that will most likely play itself out.
    You can call me scott.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Republika ng Pilipinas
    Posts
    665
    Whoa... Ferrari can make GT car, Sportscars, Supercars, Hypercars, F1 cars, etc... Anything related to going fast... But, Why will they make a sedan???? It will seem out of place in the ferrari fleet...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Monterey, California
    Posts
    55
    Thank God!!!
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I coulda predicted this :

    I hope they still do V12s. Maybe smaller diplacement like a 3.6 (One-and-a-half F1 V8s stuck together).
    Its hard to stick a V8 and a V12 together. In a V8 the cylinders are at a 90 degree angle and on a V12 60 degrees (even though Ferrari uses a 65 degree angle).

    Personally I'd love to see a twin turbo V12 in 3 litres (called the 250), 3.3 litres (called the 275) or even four litres (called the 330). That'd be sweet.

    And of course, two doors only!
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Antwerpen, Belgium
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    Im glad, because so far all the exotic sedans look ridiculous. None of them have impressed me so far. I mean, the car is a good car, but we already knew that before they made them because of the company. so mainly the focus was look and features right? well they failed miserably if you ask me.

    I do think you have to take a new look at the Monteverdi 375/4 sedan from the seventies. If that is ridiculous, I don't have it anymore. Furthermore, the wedge-shaped Lagonda designed by William Towns wasn't exactly a misser neither.

    The current BMW 7-series, OTOH, is a designers' nightmare...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,315
    Luca pointed at the Maserati QP. It is a hard to beat design, and commercially successful (over 20,000 now), so why spend money on a competitor from the same house.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,442
    In other news this week, Hummer says it won't do a 4 door saloon either.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Its hard to stick a V8 and a V12 together. In a V8 the cylinders are at a 90 degree angle and on a V12 60 degrees (even though Ferrari uses a 65 degree angle).

    Personally I'd love to see a twin turbo V12 in 3 litres (called the 250), 3.3 litres (called the 275) or even four litres (called the 330). That'd be sweet.

    And of course, two doors only!
    A turbocharger in a Ferrari would be somehow wrong.

    (I know they've done several turbocharged cars in the past)
    Last edited by Ferrer; 10-04-2008 at 02:23 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
    Posts
    16,252
    ^ i disagree if it was a V8, but i do agree in that a V12 with turbo's would be...wierd (wrong?)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Republika ng Pilipinas
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Its hard to stick a V8 and a V12 together. In a V8 the cylinders are at a 90 degree angle and on a V12 60 degrees (even though Ferrari uses a 65 degree angle).

    Personally I'd love to see a twin turbo V12 in 3 litres (called the 250), 3.3 litres (called the 275) or even four litres (called the 330). That'd be sweet.

    And of course, two doors only!
    a twin-turbo V8 is not that wierd and not that wrong for ferrari

    But a twin-turbo V12 is something wrong... What they will have is a car with too much power and too much torque...

    It could easily reach 1000-1300 bhp... (The most powerful naturally-aspirated engine found in the Ferrari FXX Evoluzione has 860 bhp)

    Even if they will limit the engine to less than 1000 bhp... They will still have too much torque, about 1000Nm or even more... Yeah, i know the top speed will be awesome, it may even hold the record for the fastest production car but we have to remember it needs to go around corners. It would have problems in handling because of too much torque spinning the wheels too much...

    Just watch the video in top gear when they have reviewed the brabus S biturbo roadster...

    YouTube - Top Gear - Brabus S Bi-Turbo Roadster
    Last edited by Bleeding Heart; 10-04-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: I need to clarify my post so you could understand me more...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg
    Posts
    9,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Even if they will limit the engine to less than 1000 bhp... They will still have too much torque, about 1000Nm or even more... Yeah, i know the top speed will be awesome, it may even hold the record for the fastest production car but we have to remember it needs to go around corners. It would have problems in handling...[/url]
    What does horsepower have to do with handling?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

    (Ted Joans)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Republika ng Pilipinas
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    What does horsepower have to do with handling?
    I'm sorry... but i'm afraid you have not understood me that much...

    I wasn't saying about too much horsepower affecting handling... My point there is about too much TORQUE

    Too much torque will spin the wheels so much that its nearly impossible to control the car...

    Now do you understand my point... I'm sorry if my english is not that good...

    If you want... You could watch the video on the link that i've given for you to understand me more...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,801
    Lets see how long they last until they cannot resist joining the trend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Really useful performance listings...
    By Egg Nog in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  2. Ford Mustang (5th gen) Boss 302 2007-
    By McLareN in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 06:36 PM
  3. Ferrari 456 question
    By uboz in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •