Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford Chip-in-a-key.

The rate of crashes, fatal and non fatal, per kilometre driven for 16 y/o drivers is almost 10 times the rate for drivers aged 30 ~ 59, accordring to the NHTSA.
    Too many young driver suck, so this seems like a good & reasonable idea to me

However I'd like to see this idea taken further .. lets also have the provision of an itemised printout of throttle opening % and G-force, superimposed over a sliding-scale background of Denial Of Access
    Ford said its market research showed that 75% of parents liked the speed and audio limits, but 67% of teens didnt.

neither for nor against it really, +1 for natural selection.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Some manufacturers already do this under a different name. Valet key.
    My cars got one of those, except its already limited to a slow speed by being a shit car, so the key just doesn't work with glovebox and boot locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    So you always thought clearly when you where 17 I assume?
    and you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    neither for nor against it really, +1 for natural selection.
    natural selection would be a good thing, but you are in a safer place while speeding and being drunk inside of a car than on the sidewalk.
    In Italy a lot of accident connected to drunk-doped-drivers are happening in th last years, it's kinda scarring, adn it's not something connected directly with speed or volume, it's just the wrong attitude. everyone is free to do whatever he wants to himself as far as it doesn't affect the other people around him.
    this key isn't going to solve anything, probably it could make things even worst. it's a sort of parental-esp: the result is that now a lot of common and stupid drivers think they can do whatever they want with their cars, because in case of danger the esp will do the miracle. right.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I would never drive a car that had one of these devices, or for that matter any "nanny-state" speed-limiting devices imposed by a Government. I would never succumb to this as a matter of principle.

Once drivers have passed their test and have gained a full licence, they should have the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else when on the road.

I'd support letting learner drivers drive with restrictions, but seeing as at present in this country, they should be with an appropriate adult / insructor anyway, this is a moot point.

What could work is letting people begin to learn to drive a year earlier with an instructor, then let them take a test to get a restricted license, then finally get their full license upon passing another test at the same age they currently would. This would mean that a driver of the same age would have more experience.

Some seem to think that young people should not be allowed to drive until they are older than at present, but all that will do is mess things up for the responsible ones. The above approach would benefit safety AND liberty.
    Oh Hai there, it's probably the same where you are but I ask you, drive 170mi south, meet me at Godalming College, Tuesly Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU27 1RS

KthnxBai!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    and you are right.

natural selection would be a good thing, but you are in a safer place while speeding and being drunk inside of a car than on the sidewalk.
    In Italy a lot of accident connected to drunk-doped-drivers are happening in th last years, it's kinda scarring, adn it's not something connected directly with speed or volume, it's just the wrong attitude. everyone is free to do whatever he wants to himself as far as it doesn't affect the other people around him.
    this key isn't going to solve anything, probably it could make things even worst. it's a sort of parental-esp: the result is that now a lot of common and stupid drivers think they can do whatever they want with their cars, because in case of danger the esp will do the miracle. right.
    So what your telling me is that in your younger years you never once made a snap decision which in hindsight wasnt the best idea? are you prehaps a morman?Really boring? or just simply full of sh*t?

Because I can tell you I dont some silly things and many of them where fun but in hindsight I wouldent do them twice (and many I still do to this day)

Yes drugs are a problem worldwide you may find drugs are prolific nearly everywhere in the world thats why countrys are bringing in roadside swabs and repeat drink drivers have breathilisers in their cars, that is also another measure ive seen put into place with teenagers but at age 16 its not as prolific as bad driving.

Speed =dangerous and volume = distraction cuting down on both in certian instances surely wouldent hurt?

The idea is to reduce potential problems not fix them I think ford is very well are the problem will never be gotten rid of fully, you just seem to enjoy being obtuse atm.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

As a recent(ish) recipient of a liscence, I think that, though I may not want or feel I need one, a lotta the f*ckin idoits I know could really use them. Many go 60 down 35mph streets and cut everybody up in freeway traffic, unfortunatley this key would not really prevent either of those things. The problems are swerving acrose the road(deliberatly or otherwise) and relative speed to other motorists, I think.
    This post had a point but I forgot it.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    As a recent(ish) recipient of a liscence, I think that, though I may not want or feel I need one, a lotta the f*ckin idoits I know could really use them. Many go 60 down 35mph streets and cut everybody up in freeway traffic, unfortunatley this key would not really prevent either of those things. The problems are swerving acrose the road(deliberatly or otherwise) and relative speed to other motorists, I think.
    This post had a point but I forgot it.
    I think the problem is that you can see a lot of people doing that. And not all are youngsters.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So what your telling me is that in your younger years you never once made a snap decision which in hindsight wasnt the best idea? are you prehaps a morman?Really boring? or just simply full of sh*t?

Because I can tell you I dont some silly things and many of them where fun but in hindsight I wouldent do them twice (and many I still do to this day)

Yes drugs are a problem worldwide you may find drugs are prolific nearly everywhere in the world thats why countrys are bringing in roadside swabs and repeat drink drivers have breathilisers in their cars, that is also another measure ive seen put into place with teenagers but at age 16 its not as prolific as bad driving.

Speed =dangerous and volume = distraction cuting down on both in certian instances surely wouldent hurt?

The idea is to reduce potential problems not fix them I think ford is very well are the problem will never be gotten rid of fully, you just seem to enjoy being obtuse atm.
    I can't see the reason for offending me, you don't know me and don't know my short life, for the same reason I didn't offend you.
    obviously I did my errors, and will do others during my life. but at 17 I wasn't reckless as some of my mates or as me just a couple of years before.
    please, don't judge who you don't know nothing about, and respect their ideas.

I didn't say Ford had a stupid idea, I said we need something more.
    and probably you don't know very much about drug and alcohol if you think at the age of 16 these aren't real problems.
    I agree this can reduce the problems, but my opinion is that this will lead people to be less afraid and interested on what their sons do, because there are gizmos saving them or preventing them from doing major errors. I have my reasons to think this and I'm not asking you to like what I say or to agree with me.

Age =/= Driving talent.

While the figures certainly point to younger people being inexperience in handling a vehicle, and need all the help they can get, I still think that the only way one gets experience with driving is to Practice.

For the record, when I first started driving, I switched the radio off.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I can't see the reason for offending me, you don't know me and don't know my short life, for the same reason I didn't offend you.
    obviously I did my errors, and will do others during my life. but at 17 I wasn't reckless as some of my mates or as me just a couple of years before.
    please, don't judge who you don't know nothing about, and respect their ideas.

I didn't say Ford had a stupid idea, I said we need something more.
    and probably you don't know very much about drug and alcohol if you think at the age of 16 these aren't real problems.
    I agree this can reduce the problems, but my opinion is that this will lead people to be less afraid and interested on what their sons do, because there are gizmos saving them or preventing them from doing major errors. I have my reasons to think this and I'm not asking you to like what I say or to agree with me.
    I Found it offensive you said you always thought cleary as a teen which is bull no one thinks as clearly as you could of hoped at that age.

And if you found that offensive then you have some really thin skin there, my aim wasnt to offend you but take it as you will.

I know more then you think about drugs and youth but still if their in a car they can speed at the stab of a throttle they have to activly go out and find drugs. if they own a car they can drive it till it blows up but if they take drugs its only has a half life. id focus more on the idiot behind the wheel not the idiot on drugs behind the wheel.

Try reading carefully i said drugs arnt as big of an issue as bad driving. Cars tend to take more then 1 life when it goes wrong.......
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

I don't find this alarming due to the fact that the chip isn't to be installed on ALL cars, just this/a few models. It's not being forced on anyone. Also, if this was my parent's "take it or leave it" choice for a car for when I was a teen, I wouldn't give a damn and just take it. If it will give them peace of mind, so be it!

regarding the above poster's comment "no one thinks as clearly as you could of hoped at that age" I disagree, as it is feeding into the stereotype that "all teens are stupid/reckless". In my teen years, I remember knowing kids that were responsible and mature people, with their values intact, as well as the party animals.

Also, it is not a given that kids have to actually make an effort to go and find drugs... maybe they find themselves in tempting situations at school...just as easily as finding the throttle under their foot.

I see this more as a reassurance for parents giving their teen their first car than a solution for the aforementioned problems.

I Found it offensive you said you always thought cleary as a teen which is bull no one thinks as clearly as you could of hoped at that age.

And if you found that offensive then you have some really thin skin there, my aim wasnt to offend you but take it as you will.

I know more then you think about drugs and youth but still if their in a car they can speed at the stab of a throttle they have to activly go out and find drugs. if they own a car they can drive it till it blows up but if they take drugs its only has a half life. id focus more on the idiot behind the wheel not the idiot on drugs behind the wheel.

Try reading carefully i said drugs arnt as big of an issue as bad driving. Cars tend to take more then 1 life when it goes wrong.......
    you are continuing to use your derogatory tone.
    I'm not going to defend my statements or whatever my experiences have been, it doesn't concern you or this thread.

a recent statistic (as I said, it's a growing problem in Italy) showed that of all the accidents caused mainly by speeding and dangerous driving, in half of them the subjects were driving under the influence.
    in many of those accidents people died. More than one person at a time, as you said (recently, also two policemen lost their life trying to stop the car). Ironically enough, the driver is usually the survivor.

that's my point and my concern.
    a drunk/doped up driver is obviously more dangerous than a sober stupid one. I hope that you will agree on this at least, but actually I doubt you really care about what I'm saying, I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

besides, simply because you say you know about drugs and youth (I'm not discrediting your claim), it doesn't mean you know more than everyone else on those matters, so making blanket statements is kinda out of line.

again, I don't feel like you are respecting everyone's opinions and ideas.

that's my point and my concern.
    a drunk/doped up driver is obviously more dangerous than a sober stupid one. I hope that you will agree on this at least, but actually I doubt you really care about what I'm saying, I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.
    Supid people are stupid all the time. Drunk and stoned people are only faded when they're drunk and stoned.
    Though I have no facts to back this up, I would think that the stupid drivers during the day with more traffic have much more potental to hurt others, than a drunk driver at night. I'll admit there are a lot of exceptions, but that's the way I see it when looking at my high school class.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Just drive like everyone is out to kill you.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information