Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montreal GP dropped from 2009 F1 Calendar

North America now has 0 F1 races, ridiculous!!! I always wanted to go to the Canadian GP and now I may never get that chance! The closest is Brazil? Really? Canada usually has a lot of excitement too.

what a rubbish decision

Not to mention the 75 million dollars the GP brings to the local economy.

Its such a great event. the whole city goes crazy over this race, you have never been downtown Montreal on GP weekend you have not lived your life to the fullest! ( for us in Montreal at least )
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Where is the Grand Prix of Brunei?
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post

Its such a great event. the whole city goes crazy over this race, you have never been downtown Montreal on GP weekend you have not lived your life to the fullest! ( for us in Montreal at least )
    Whats the reaction there ZeTurbo, any riots yet?

FORMULA One will only survive for one more year unless drastic spending cuts are implemented, FIA president Max Mosley has warned.
    Max Mosley warns on future of Formula One | The Australian

If F1 is to go down I'd dearly love to see the manufacturers get involved in sports car racing like the good old Group C days, so top class racing would become interesting again.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

F1 still has so many fans that I doubt it would go down entirely. Sure, the sport is way too expensive for privateers but I'd think they're willing to go to drastic measures to keep F1 alive if a couple more teams have to quit.

And on topic, I wouldn't be surprised to see F1 back in North America in a few years. We've seen how quickly the race calendars change nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    F1 still has so many fans that I doubt it would go down entirely. Sure, the sport is way too expensive for privateers but I'd think they're willing to go to drastic measures to keep F1 alive if a couple more teams have to quit.
    I wonder how much more they can take. Here is an interesting article on the current state of total chaos at the FIA: Rear Wheel Skid

Note the shot of Massa's pit malarkey, it is quite superb.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

F1 concenrates on going on street-circuits nowadays... This season, they didn't race in indianapolis... Then next year, canada... What's next???
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    F1 concenrates on going on street-circuits nowadays... This season, they didn't race in indianapolis... Then next year, canada... What's next???
    Montreal is a street circuit...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Note the shot of Massa's pit malarkey, it is quite superb.
    Stunning action pic

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Montreal is a street circuit...
    The circuit, at Parc Jean-Drapeau on Île Notre-Dame, a man-made island in the St. Lawrence River that is part of the city of Montreal, was originally named the Île Notre-Dame circuit. It was renamed in honour of Canadian Formula One driver Gilles Villeneuve, father of Jacques Villeneuve, following his death in 1982. The venue hosted the Champ Car World Series Grand Prix of Montreal from 2002-2006.

What I meant about a street circuit is when some sections of the track are also used as a public road...

Just like Monaco
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    What I meant about a street circuit is when some sections of the track are also used as a public road...

Just like Monaco
    Or like Montreal.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post

Yeah you got it ZeTurbo - the atmosphere is absolutely great there - it is all over the city, the radio, the TV, all downtown... it is so cool. Couple that with the great food, great atmosphere, and good weather, and you have a great event. Hopefully this will pass and it will be back on the calender. If this is gonna be a long term loss of the CGP it may be a very long time until I see another F1 race in person.

Ah well, as Wouter stated, Mosport is still here, and Bowmanville is only 1 hour away as opposed to 7 or so for Montreal.

Thread Information