Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2008 Formula One Japanese Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean??
    In my opinion, Robert Kubica and Fernando Alonso have been the two best all round drivers of the past season, given the equipment at their disposal.
    I'm not sure what's laughable about holding such an opinion?
    I think he may have been referring to the fact that Alonso said he'd help Massa win the title.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

as a dissapointed ferrari fan, i must say that i hope renault can maintain the same momentum next season with BMW. The current title contenders have been immature & unmotivated. For the 1st time i m looking forward to a season where ferrari would be not challenging for the championships.
    In 07 they got lucky & mclaren got stupid towards the end, this season they both failed to capitalize on several opportunities, They just dont seem to the teams that one would really be proud of being a fan of any more.

On the other hand i beleive that all these penalties that we have been witnessing since SPA are total BS.
    this sport never used to be like that. now i feel that one has to question the credentials of those marshals plus whomever has effective input in these decisions.
    Sometimes i think that these marshals never watched a proper race.
    Last edited by torque55; 10-14-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    At this stage of the season, I'd rate Kubica alongside Alonso as the drivers of the year. He's been fast, smooth, consistent, largely mistake and accident free. Struggled a little in the wet, but other than that Kubica has been great all year. Alonso, as noted before, has punched well above the capabilities of the Renault all season. So, it wouldn't entirely surprise me to see Kubica snatch the title and Alonso pick up another win in the last few races.
    Alonso is no doubt a great driver, but for some reason the image of him getting impacient and ramming Heidfeld in Monaco sticks in my mind.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Alonso is no doubt a great driver, but for some reason the image of him getting impacient and ramming Heidfeld in Monaco sticks in my mind.
    Having seen the latest "incindets" I wouldn't say that was a case of ramming...
    Visca Catalunya!

In Alonso's defence, Monaco was during a part of the season where Alonso's mindset was to drive as crazy as hell as the car was pretty bad. If he got a podium, it would feel like a win and he didnt car how many DNF's it took.

Incidently, about midseason he re-evaluated his goals in helping Renault achieve 4th in the WCC, calmed down to score more consistent results and has now scored back to back wins.
    I am the Stig

Also with regards to Alonso/Renault's recent upturn in fortunes, apparently some of that can be put down to Elf.

Renault have been way down on power (reportedly as much as 30bhp) compared to some of the stronger engines all season long. Apparently for the past couple of races Elf have brought with them a completely new fuel mixture, which apparently has clawed back around 10-15bhp. Singapore wasn't much of a horsepower circuit, but Fuji certainly is with that humongous straight. The Renaults didn't really seem to suffer at all down the straights for a change.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Also with regards to Alonso/Renault's recent upturn in fortunes, apparently some of that can be put down to Elf.

Renault have been way down on power (reportedly as much as 30bhp) compared to some of the stronger engines all season long. Apparently for the past couple of races Elf have brought with them a completely new fuel mixture, which apparently has clawed back around 10-15bhp. Singapore wasn't much of a horsepower circuit, but Fuji certainly is with that humongous straight. The Renaults didn't really seem to suffer at all down the straights for a change.
    Aren't such mixtures prohibited?
    Also I've heard that maybe soon all these restrictions in power can be declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post

Even so you can't deny that Alonso's latest driving has been top notch.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Even so you can't deny that Alonso's latest driving has been top notch.
    I wasn't trying to. His driving has been excellent pretty much all year. The point is that with this apparent boost in power his efforts are getting more rewards.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I'm not sure what you mean??
    In my opinion, Robert Kubica and Fernando Alonso have been the two best all round drivers of the past season, given the equipment at their disposal.
    I'm not sure what's laughable about holding such an opinion?
    next time, i´ll just post twice to clarify things or at least post on a subject alone. Actually, i share your opinion (which i quoted to second it)and furthermore, I don´t believe either Massa or Hamilton have made enough merits to be World Champion* this season.

i apologise for the misunderstanding

*Apart from driver´s points, of course.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    next time, i´ll just post twice to clarify things or at least post on a subject alone. Actually, i share your opinion (which i quoted to second it)and furthermore, I don´t believe either Massa or Hamilton have made enough merits to be World Champion* this season.

i apologise for the misunderstanding

*Apart from driver´s points, of course.
    No problem. I thought you might have been referring to another post (the one on Alonso apparantly supporting Massa I assume?), but wasn't certain.

I'll be watching the last two races with interest. I'm not sure who win. Hamilton should win - if he uses the Alain Prost system of racing for points rather than taking unnecessary risks. But as we've seen Hamilton is a racer, and he doesn't yet seem to be able to step back from the desire to win at all costs even when taking a more cautious approach would be to his advantage. His instincts to race are great for the fans and give us plenty of controversy to discuss on internet boards. But these instincts may not help him win the title.
    Massa may win - given a good clean run. But, like Hamilton, he needs to race sensibly. He does have to take more risks due to being behind, and this could be his undoing. I feel Massa drives at his best when out front and unchallenged, and is a little erratic in traffic, much like his rival in fact.
    One thing I do hope for the last two races. I wonder if the real Kimi Raikkonen will turn up for these races rather than the imposter that has been wearing his helmet for most of the year?
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I wonder if the real Kimi Raikkonen will turn up for these races rather than the imposter that has been wearing his helmet for most of the year?
    Me too Wish to see a good old Kimi back. Though I think he'll be a 'servant' for Massa until the end of the season - it's Ferrari... And now, when he's no more a title contender, I'd like to see Robert on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Me too Wish to see a good old Kimi back. Though I think he'll be a 'servant' for Massa until the end of the season - it's Ferrari... And now, when he's no more a title contender, I'd like to see Robert on the top.
    Kimi won't be Massa' servant. He might let Massa past him maybe once, but he still have a crzy burst of speed in the second half of the grands prix, and if Massa is there to pass, he'll pass him.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Kimi won't be Massa' servant. He might let Massa past him maybe once, but he still have a crzy burst of speed in the second half of the grands prix, and if Massa is there to pass, he'll pass him.
    No he won't. He's not stupid.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Kimi won last years title despite being slower than Massa in Brazil where he needed to be ahead of him. It would only be fair to return the favour.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information