Thread: Settle an Argument: LSD vs Locked

Settle an Argument: LSD vs Locked

Settle an argument for me people, what's better for racing, an LSD or a Locked diff?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

i think LSD is better for racing and locked is for off road.....
    not sure though, don't quote me on this

Locked is only a good idea when going slow and steady.
    In racing the locked drive wheels means the car will always push in the direction the driven wheels are pointing in .... this makes steering difficult as it fights against turning corners. Even worse in FWD where a tight LSD can make for the worlds worst handling
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Dead on

In racing the locked drive wheels means the car will always push in the direction the driven wheels are pointing in .... this makes steering difficult as it fights against turning corners. Even worse in FWD where a tight LSD can make for the worlds worst handling
    makes perfect sense as well. Pretty much sums it up from my training and experience.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Spools (locked) are commonly used in oval racing (both dirt and paved). They are lighter and have less rotational inertia. They provide good stability in some conditions.

However, they aren't a good idea on most circuit type tracks. Basically they both have their respective applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    That was my impression, that they caused understeer. So a good LSD would be the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Spools (locked) are commonly used in oval racing (both dirt and paved). They are lighter and have less rotational inertia. They provide good stability in some conditions.

However, they aren't a good idea on most circuit type tracks. Basically they both have their respective applications.
    I was referring to circuit in particular, but thanks for the info. Would the weight saving and reduction in inertia give enough benefit to make people choose them over an LSD despite any handling issues they might cause?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Spools needs some pretty interesting setup choices to make them work well on road courses.....ideally you want to be able to lift inside rear on entering a corner....I have seen spool cars work well on an AutoX track in FSAE....one of the first more successful team to do this was university of queensland.....

There have been successful road course cars with spool also, the most famous one being the Porsche 956/962 line of cars.....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 10-11-2008 at 02:36 PM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Drove a spooled VN Calais 5lt, Hatted it. Shuddered on corners! - turned like a boat. To me it was - big deal with this POS.

Hand me a good LSD anyday.

Driven spooled cars and LSD cars on a circuit and the spooled do push a bit on initial turn in but not a huge problem. Most LSD for circuit use are a 2 way and are set that tight they feel like a spool anyway. Spooled on the street is stupid . The great thing about a full spool is the strength they are virtually unbreakable. Seen plenty of LSDs on the circuit loosen and lap times turn into tyre smoke
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Solid axle ftw in drag racing.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Solid axle ftw in drag racing.

Troof.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information