Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Nissan GT-R articles...

Interesting Nissan GT-R articles...

Hey all. I'm not posting this to add to the 'Nissan GT-R is the best' talk... I just came across these two articles and thought they were neat and I just wanted to show you them in case you missed them.

The first one is a video of the Nissan GT-R against the Corvette ZR1.. It is a comparison video done by edmonds.com.

Link: Video: Corvette ZR1 Races Nissan GT-R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second one is "The 600-HP Phantom GT-R Is Not To Be Laughed at."

Even after the 2009 Nissan GT-R was introduced, the public was still waiting for something more. First thing, they wanted to know how much horsepower it had. The second thing, they wanted to know how much more horsepower it could make.

Well, the Japanese tuners have stepped up to the challenge and PowerHouse Amuse has delivered its own version of the Nissan GT-R R35, the Phantom GT-R. Don't let the name fool you, though; it is not to be laughed at. With 600 horsepower on tap, the 2009 Nissan GT-R by PowerHouse Amuse can tear up the pavement like a track car. Not only is its performance ability unreal, the Phantom GT-R also sports carbon-fiber body pieces that look as if they came straight out of the Nismo catalog.
    Cool read, check out the full article here..

Link: 2009 Nissan GT-R by PowerHouse Amuse -- Inside Line

Once again, just thought these two article were interesting and I just wanted to share with fellow car enthusiasts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Equinox; 11-04-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Yay!

I can't wait till Monaro Country gets his hands on this!

Oh no not ag...

Sorry, it's the default answer to GT-R/ZR1 thread.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

i don't get it. hundregs if not thouthands of ingeneering geniuses spent many years and hundreds of millions of dollars on developing this car, and then some group of geeks think they can make a better thing out of it in couple of months?

my opinion is - they can only worsen it
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    i don't get it. hundregs if not thouthands of ingeneering geniuses spent many years and hundreds of millions of dollars on developing this car, and then some group of geeks think they can make a better thing out of it in couple of months?

No offence, I disagree

Look back in history at the R32/R33/R34.

All cars have been made better by aftermarket tuners.

Faster, with higher comfort, better interiors, better fuel.

Just about every way.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 11-04-2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I like the video, because there is no bias etc. It's just straight talk and the numbers... Which speak for themselves.

I wonder what the GTR fans will say since the ZR1 won. I myself like the GTR, but I can't argue with facts and numbers.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I find it weird people assume that you can only like one or the other, and that if one is faster, that makes everyone else 'wrong'.

I like the ZR1 a lot. I also like the GT-R for what it is. Given the weight and power, and amount of work put into them, I believe the ZR1 is faster. This doesn't make the GT-R a bad car.

And honestly, the thing that excites me most about it is I know all the crazy things aftermarket companies will do with it.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    I like the video, because there is no bias etc. It's just straight talk and the numbers... Which speak for themselves.

I wonder what the GTR fans will say since the ZR1 won. I myself like the GTR, but I can't argue with facts and numbers.
    Video seems more biased than normal IMO, in favor of the ZR1. For example, in the dyno segment, they said:
    "The Nissan GT-R is rated from the factory at 480 HP and 430 lb-ft of torque, but on the dyno it put down 406 HP and 399 lb-ft of torque. The more powerful ZR1 is rated at 638 HP and 604 lb-ft of torque. On the dyno it delivered an amazing 505 HP at the wheels and 494 lb-ft of torque."
    I'm not so sure what's so "amazing." Looks to me like the GT-R did a better job of delivering the claimed power (85%) and torque (93%) than the ZR1(79% and 82%). And this is with the front roller on the AWD dyno rolling too; for the ZR1, the front roller was motionless.

Again, the numbers don't tell you the whole story. If you look at the overall scoring, it was very close: 76.6 vs 78.9. In the vehicle evaluation scoring, the GT-R was rated higher in handling, transmission, steering, build quality, tactile feel, materials, seat comfort and position, and was curiously missing points for the rear seats. ZR1 did better in engine performance (as expected), ride comfort, trunk space.

Some comments from the test:
    "Our test driver hops in the GT-R, quickly gets up to speed and lays down some solid laps right out of the gate...He then moves to the Corvette, which takes a little more time to sort out...the ZR1 is quicker than the GT-R, but the raw numbers don't tell the whole story because the two cars are completely different animals around the course.
    With the 2009 Nissan GT-R, it's a simple point-and-shoot exercise. The car feels steady, sure-footed and drifts into predictable understeer at the limit. Its seats provide solid support and the steering is direct and responsive. It doesn't have the flickable feel of the lighter Corvette, but its rock-solid chassis inspires the confidence to push it harder...If your driving skills slot anywhere below that of an SCCA road-racing champion, you'll probably go faster in the GT-R.
    On the flip side, the Corvette is a sweat-inducing workout that requires good footwork, quick hands and serious concentration. We alternate between jamming our knees into the dash to hold ourselves in place and sawing at the wheel to get the car pointed in the right direction...This Corvette will blow anything out of the water in a straight line, but on a twisty mountain road all that power is difficult to harness."

2nd Opinion:
    "I've driven both these cars. Together. Same road, same time. And there's not a significant enough difference in the way they drive on the street to sway me one way or the other.
    ...the real world, with its bumps, camber and ruts is a great equalizer. And the GT-R, which is far less compliant, powers through the real world with hardly a nod to its irregularities. Plus, it will always be easier to drive. This is the long way to say that it's just as quick down most roads."

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. 2009 Nissan GT-R Comparison Test

I don't think any GT-R supporter outside of hardcore fanboys has ever said the Nissan would beat the ZR1. The 997 Turbo was always Nissan's target.

BTW, some of those comments go a long way to explain how the GT-R is faster on a circuit like the 'Ring than one might think.
    Last edited by Guibo; 11-04-2008 at 03:58 PM.

for the record, i saw my first GTR today in manhattan on 57th st.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I find it weird people assume that you can only like one or the other, and that if one is faster, that makes everyone else 'wrong'.

I like the ZR1 a lot. I also like the GT-R for what it is. Given the weight and power, and amount of work put into them, I believe the ZR1 is faster. This doesn't make the GT-R a bad car.

And honestly, the thing that excites me most about it is I know all the crazy things aftermarket companies will do with it.
    Well said +1

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    for the record, i saw my first GTR today in manhattan on 57th st.
    I saw my first 2 weeks ago in small town AL

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    I saw my first 2 weeks ago in small town AL

Over a month ago, at Western Sydney International Dragway.

Then again at a meetup at bondi beach...

Two different cars, neither stock

Haltech GTR, and motec tuned GTR from envy imports.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
    In the vehicle evaluation scoring, the GT-R was rated higher in build quality, tactile feel, materials
    the corvette's american, it's to be expected.....

^LOL, yeah...

Saw my first GT-R two weeks ago, about 20 minutes after seeing my first Panamera. Sat in a GT-R at the dealer too.

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post

Depends on what the definition of "better" is really....more power? faster acceleration? more responsive handling? or is it more gas guzzling? less reliable? or compromised ride? So many stuff that a regular manufacturer does to make a product "marketable" might make it less optimized performance wise, but then again the tuners need not worry about the standard of all the owners, just the ones who went to look for them....

saw my first GTR outside of my office, a red one drove by...

btw is this the same Guibo from SC.net all those years ago?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    btw is this the same Guibo from SC.net all those years ago?
    Yes, same one. Hey there.

Thread Information