Thread: Mazda ALMS B-K Motorsports closes doors.

Mazda ALMS B-K Motorsports closes doors.

Mazda ALMS team B-K Motorsports shuts down

American Le Mans Series team B-K Motorsports announced that it will no longer operate, due to the retirement of owner Bob Bach. B-K led the ALMS program for Mazda North American Operations and MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development since 2005. The team scored Mazda's first series win in 2005 at Mid-Ohio and scored a total of ten podium finishes.

In addition, B-K raced in the Star Mazda Championship and Mazda's Club Racing programs since 2000, scoring the 2002 SCCA Runoffs National Championship in Formula Mazda.

"I cannot begin to thank Robert Davis, John Doonan, and the entire Mazda staff for their amazing support," Bach said. "We have been so proud to represent Mazda on and off the track . . . We thank them for their continuous support, as we could not have done it without them."

Mazda North American Operations said it is in the process of finalizing its ALMS plans for 2009, ahead of making a formal announcement.

Mazda ALMS team B-K Motorsports shuts down - AutoWeek Magazine

So B-K got the new Mazda then folded? I hope that that was a Mazda decision.

You know, I always though in terms of results, B-K was crap. I think this is undeniable. I do hope that Mazda gets a good team for 2009 and is competitive but I doubt this. I hear that their engine was the highest powered of the P2s but it was not enough. And how involved is Mazda exactly? The block is AER based off a Mazda block and the chassis is a Lola and the team was B-K right?

Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development is heavily involved in the evo of the engine program.

Yes, based off of AER, Lola chassis, B-K team. Supposedly Mazda is committed to keeping the program going so we'll see. I still think the economy will put a damper on some racing plans all through the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You know, I always though in terms of results, B-K was crap. I think this is undeniable.
    Their qualifying time at Road Atlanta 2008 (with a brand new car) was faster than Audi or Penske could muster in 2007. But, I suppose compared to the titan Porsche and Acura efforts they really didn't stand a chance. I certainly didn't see this coming, I suppose I'll start looking for a new avatar tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Their qualifying time at Road Atlanta 2008 (with a brand new car) was faster than Audi or Penske could muster in 2007. But, I suppose compared to the titan Porsche and Acura efforts they really didn't stand a chance. I certainly didn't see this coming, I suppose I'll start looking for a new avatar tonight.
    Well that is impressive T.J htanks for that insight.

I think that you should keep the avatar for a while as it is slick and a good tribute.

So B-K got the new Mazda then folded? I hope that that was a Mazda decision.

You know, I always though in terms of results, B-K was crap. I think this is undeniable. I do hope that Mazda gets a good team for 2009 and is competitive but I doubt this. I hear that their engine was the highest powered of the P2s but it was not enough. And how involved is Mazda exactly? The block is AER based off a Mazda block and the chassis is a Lola and the team was B-K right?
    B-K Motorsports didn't have the budget of the Penske and Acura teams in LMP2. They also didn't have Michelin tires.

The Mazda MZR-R engine was built from scratch. It was built for the long-term with the customer in mind.

Mulsanne's Corner News

Inside the new Lola B08/80 Mazda

ALMS: Inside the New Mazda Lola LMP2 Coupe - Brightcove

The change from roadster to coupe and more

AUTO-RACING - The Online Motorsports Authority - NASCAR Racing Schedule - F1 - Formula 1 - Drag Racing - Motorsports - Indy Car - SPEEDtv.com

Mazda MZR-R engine:

Mulsanne's Corner: Advanced Engine Research P32 T V8
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

i'd like to something akin to the Furai appear

it's highly unlikely, but we can still dream...

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    B-K Motorsports didn't have the budget of the Penske and Acura teams in LMP2. They also didn't have Michelin tires.
    I know, but I wasn't talking about bang for buck I said results and they have not had good results to my knowledge. It seemed like a half-arsed effort to me, and it got half-arsed results. Anyways this has been discussed earlier.

Mazda will continue.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I wonder who will take over the Mazda effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I wonder who will take over the Mazda effort?
    Hopefully someone with better funding.

Hopefully someone with better funding.
    Hopefully more factory funding. I would expect them to keep it in house. Speedsource might be up to it, but I'm only speculating. Between their GRANDAM, SWC touring, and Star Mazda surely they can find somebody ready to step up.

I am fairly confident that Dyson will by running a two car Mazda Team in next years ALMS and I would love that team to go LM. I fell the situation with the RS Spyder was not ideal for Dyson as they were not able to develop the car with same support as Penske. This will be Different in 09 with Mazda and if they use the favoured Michelin rubber I would be surprised if they weren’t front runners in the LMP2 class next year, with possibly no RS Spyders and an Acura team which is now focusing on LMP1.

Dyson is one of the standouts, obviously, though I agree Speedsource could be a possibility as well...

Thread Information