Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Motors Financial Troubles Continue

General Motors Financial Troubles Continue

GM's big announcement came out today and it is pretty serious. GM announced a 4.2 billion dollar loss and is essentially saying that bankruptcy is imminent.

In GM's words:

Even if GM implements the planned operating actions that are substantially within its control, GM's estimated liquidity during the remainder of 2008 will approach the minimum amount necessary to operate its business. Looking into the first two quarters of 2009, even with its planned actions, the company's estimated liquidity will fall significantly short of that amount unless economic and automotive industry conditions significantly improve, it receives substantial proceeds from asset sales, takes more aggressive working capital initiatives, gains access to capital markets and other private sources of funding, receives government funding under one or more current or future programs, or some combination of the foregoing.
    GM's potential bankruptcy in my eyes is the biggest threat to the economy of the United States and the World; some solution needs to be found, and found quickly because the economic implications of GM going bankrupt are enormous. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs will be effected and not just in the US, but worldwide. GM's needs to remain operating for the sake of the economy as far as I see it, and it looks like the only hope for GM is government assistance.

It's quite a conundrum. Pour money into the hole which is GM and end up with no real plan to fix the company, if there were any customers in a bad economy anyway. In addition to having the same management in control when all is done. Wagoner should have been dumped long ago.

Crikey, even Toyota is slipping.

Now Hyundai wants to buy Chrysler.

Welcome to bizzaro world.

This is what happens when automakers are slow to adapt to a changing market.
    And a shitty overall economy doesn't help.

So basically GM is in big shit.

Goodbye GM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So basically GM is in big shit.

Goodbye GM.
    Deep shit, indeed.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Goodbye GM.
    We will see what the US government and economy does. President-elect Obama has stated that a priority is to aid the US automakers. As Dino said though, will giving GM loans just delay the inevitable or will it actually have a difference?

Ok, let's say GM does have to declare bankrupcy, what happens then? Do they still produce cars, are they bought by someone or what? Can they survive after this?

GM was in the shit before the economy went under. Failure to brace for it could cost them dearly.

They got to shut down a few in the states now before it's to late. Sell off assets and accept overseas designs and idea's more. But shrink the amount of car makers at home.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Bail out a sinking ship ?. It's like a shit that needs 1000 buckets to keep it floating, But it looses 10 bucket a day. How much longer can they keep this pace going for ?.
    Sooner or later someone has got to grab the bull by the horns and take charge and change everything for it's survival.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

If GM America goes down, does it affect GM Australia, and other countries?

It'd be a shame to see the Monaro et al go down as well.

Although I don't give a crap if GM dies. It deserves to. Since when does putting all your eggs into one basket ever work for the long term?

Even companies with fuel efficient offerings (Toyota, Honda) are hurting. What could GM possibly come up with within such a short period of time to pick up the slack (other than the Volt, of course). Nothing.

Epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    If GM America goes down, does it affect GM Australia, and other countries?
    Every part of GM is losing momeny apparently, so if GM goes under, everything does.

Except perhaps some parts (like Saab) could be sold off.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Every part of GM is losing momeny apparently, so if GM goes under, everything does.

Except perhaps some parts (like Saab) could be sold off.
    I saw news about Saab might be under Chinese or Japanese ownership soon
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    It's quite a conundrum. Pour money into the hole which is GM and end up with no real plan to fix the company, if there were any customers in a bad economy anyway. In addition to having the same management in control when all is done. Wagoner should have been dumped long ago.

Crikey, even Toyota is slipping.

Now Hyundai wants to buy Chrysler.

Welcome to bizzaro world.
    Actually, almost all car manufacturers are slipping... the world economy is going nowhere... and with the price of oil still going up... it's a safe bet that many people will prefer to walk or take the bus than driving their cars.
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Actually, almost all car manufacturers are slipping... the world economy is going nowhere... and with the price of oil still going up... it's a safe bet that many people will prefer to walk or take the bus than driving their cars.
    The price of oil going up?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

It'd be a shame to see the Monaro et al go down as well.
    =
    and Monaro_Country...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information