Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Australian car industry bailout

^as the buick grand avenue or some shit, yeah. actually looks alright with the buick badge...maybe that will be the new craze once kids get over putting chev badges on
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Plenty of Chev-badged Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo utes around here. Hows that for an identity crisis?

the first time i saw that, i assumed he'd put an LS2 in there or something, as that's the rationale from the commodore kids. but no..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

...slightly less shameful than a Chev batch on a Daewoo though. Uuuggh.

I hate chev badges on Commodores. More when that commodore is only a V6.

I had heard worst case scenario there are 2. The Court's sell off peace by peace of Holden to pay creditors. And as we know it - it will not be the same again. Most body parts interior etc are made overseas. Elizabeth closed down and body's assembled in Melbourne. Engine plants closed down and shipped in for assemble only. Car turns into 10% Australian content if it's lucky. All designs and testing still carried out in Australia.

That being if GM can't sell Holden the court might give them no choice to even act and do it. So no india or china deal which keep them as a whole with many of the other subsidiary working out of holden HQ still. Considering Holden has controlling ownership of GMDat which makes them worth plenty.

Section 2 of worst case.
    Toyota buys Holden and shuts the doors within 5-8 years of the transition. Selling all interest and land. Or Toyota could invest in a real large car RWD AWD V6's V8's which might open doors and give them a new image to old time enthusiast..

Last night i seen Holden was not worried about it's parent company going under. They are not worried about loosing any jobs what so ever. Either they know something or they know jack.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    I hate chev badges on Commodores. More when that commodore is only a V6.

Chev badge is so diluted by Daewoo connection, it's almost more of an insult to Commodore.

Section 2 of worst case.
    Toyota buys Holden and shuts the doors within 5-8 years of the transition. Selling all interest and land. Or Toyota could invest in a real large car RWD AWD V6's V8's which might open doors and give them a new image to old time enthusiast..

Last night i seen Holden was not worried about it's parent company going under. They are not worried about loosing any jobs what so ever. Either they know something or they know jack.
    ...or their PR is on overdrive. They sound like real estate agents who when the market goes into freefall, try to boost it back up with blindly (ignorant) optimist press statements hoping their fantasy becomes reality. How can they not be worried? At least as part of GM they have access to a truly global parts bin, be it for widgets or fully assembled cars, and GM are an intrinsic part of their genetic blueprint.
    Tata might have the capital, but what would they see as the direction for Holden?
    With Toyota's latest economic results, are they even still interested in investing in a (relatively) small regional player, when they've got so much capital tied into their own Aussie plant. Surely they don't need V8 expertise, Lexus seem to be doing just fine on that front, and the motors are GM sourced anyway. As for RWD, Lexus again. Like your enthusiasm, but Toyota aren't reknowned for extravagance, much too conservative for that.

Best case scenario: How about a Lexus-badged Caprice? Or HSV 6.2L repowered Hilux?

How's this for a worse case scenario. Extreme Out-to-Pluto-&-back longshot: Holden is bought by Ford. Commodore range is stripped back to "Omeagre" (extreme base spec with hand-wind windows, rubber mats, steel wheels, no cruise, etc) and H-XS-V (pushed up into BMW 5-serices/ Merc C63 price range where they sell like frozen hotcakes). V8 Supercars becomes a 1 make series, 50% of the fans (diehard Holden supporters) desert the sport, Bathhurst dies altogether or is replaced by Corollas vs Lancers vs Focus's. All the Holden merchandise has a big blue oval in the middle of the redness. Alcoholism and suicide go off the charts....

Forgot to add, Toyota is not too shabby in the AWD experience either!
    Last edited by Tall_G; 11-16-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Sudden brainwave!

Quote Originally Posted by Tall_G View Post
    ...or their PR is on overdrive. They sound like real estate agents who when the market goes into freefall, try to boost it back up with blindly (ignorant) optimist press statements hoping their fantasy becomes reality.
    Reminds me of the former Iraqi minister for public relations during the American attack....maybe Holden hired him....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Reminds me of the former Iraqi minister for public relations during the American attack....maybe Holden hired him....
    Comical Ali? I think you're right! Wonder if he's also behind Holden's 5kw reduction in engine output to "improve economy and emissions outputs"?

Thread Information