Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Critique Thread

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    ^^^ As a fan of modern photographic naturalism I really enjoyed that Sam, appreciate the effort it takes. I see you're currently a photojournalist for your paper, hope they put you on payroll. You should be building a stock book in the meantime. Nice work.
    Thank you very much! Yes, currently I am a paid intern but I just accepted a full-time job at another paper, so I am very excited about that!

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Thank you very much! Yes, currently I am a paid intern but I just accepted a full-time job at another paper, so I am very excited about that!
    What paper?

^^^ His bio says Davenport, Iowa at the Quad-City Times.

Good on you Sam for the new gig, there are thousands of photographers competing for regular work. When I was in the business there were 3 or 4 guys I specified for different jobs; some specialized in fashion or catalogue, some advertising/lifestyle, some automotive... or just had the style required for the client's needs. Most became friends and we keep in touch... I enjoy seeing their current work. One in particular has had an interesting career spanning Northern Ireland to Russia, Argentine and German fashion to war correspondent. He won UK photographer of the year once, not bad for an Irish Catholic anarchist. Another is a well known National Geographic photojournalist.

With all the professional talent I've met over the years I never considered myself a photographer. As an art & creative director it was always about the image, critique of technique is beyond my skill set.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    ^^^ His bio says Davenport, Iowa at the Quad-City Times.

Good on you Sam for the new gig, there are thousands of photographers competing for regular work. When I was in the business there were 3 or 4 guys I specified for different jobs; some specialized in fashion or catalogue, some advertising/lifestyle, some automotive... or just had the style required for the client's needs. Most became friends and we keep in touch... I enjoy seeing their current work. One in particular has had an interesting career spanning Northern Ireland to Russia, Argentine and German fashion to war correspondent. He won UK photographer of the year once, not bad for an Irish Catholic anarchist. Another is a well known National Geographic photojournalist.

With all the professional talent I've met over the years I never considered myself a photographer. As an art & creative director it was always about the image, critique of technique is beyond my skill set.
    Wow, you have some very talented friends. The QCT is where I am working currently, but my new job is at the Goshen News, a small (12k-15k circulation) in Northern Indiana. I'll be the lead photographer, as well as in charge of increasing the papers online presence through video, image galleries and audio slideshows. I am very excited for the opportunity!

Wow, you have some very talented friends. The QCT is where I am working currently, but my new job is at the Goshen News, a small (12k-15k circulation) in Northern Indiana. I'll be the lead photographer, as well as in charge of increasing the papers online presence through video, image galleries and audio slideshows. I am very excited for the opportunity!
    If you haven't read these books you should definately read them. I have them all on my Kindle and have read all of them at least once through and i reference them often. I also bought "The Digital Photography Book" for my sister in law when she got her new camera and she loves it!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305749044&sr=8-1"]Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-2/dp/0321524764/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b"]Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book Vol 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-3/dp/0321617657/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c"]Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book Vol 3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks-Photography-secrets-shooters/dp/0321544080/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305749207&sr=1-1"]Joe McNally - The Moment It Clicks[/ame]

reading these books will help any photographer, no matter your level!

well lets see, i guess ill try another photo, since those last 3 didn't seem to spark any interest
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's pretty good. I am not a huge fan of the highlights starting to blow out the clouds and the reflections in the car. I know you probably couldn't do anything about it but that car in that background doesn't do much for me either.

It's pretty good. I am not a huge fan of the highlights starting to blow out the clouds and the reflections in the car. I know you probably couldn't do anything about it but that car in that background doesn't do much for me either.
    I was just going around taking photos of the cars at the car show. Yeah that vehicle in the background was dumb. I didn't have my polorizer on the lens that is why everything is blown out. i had it set to Program mode, so the f/stop and shutterspeed were on automatic.

Ok i'll have a go at all this photo buisness, What do you think of this picture i took.

Sorry it's low res, i took it on a 3.2 mp phone camera.

P160110_14.51.jpg
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Ok i'll have a go at all this photo buisness, What do you think of this picture i took.

Sorry it's low res, i took it on a 3.2 mp phone camera.

P160110_14.51.jpg
    I like it, good scenery and nice composition except you should leave more space above the tree. You cut off the top of the tree Otherwise great shot, i like it.

^^^ Yes your right, i should have left some more space above the tree. It was a walking along shot otherwise i would have had another shot at it. But apart from that i'm quite happy with the shot.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I like the color!

^^^ Yea so do i, i think it was about 4.15 pm in the winter so the sun was going down.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I like it, it's really nice, I especially like all the lines in it. Very pleasing to look at. My biggest thing is that the horizon is kind of crooked. This is a problem I often find I have myself, so I would either level it out in PS or just try to pay more mind to that when taking the picture, or even use a tripod if you can!

^^^ I see your point. Good advice, thanks.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information