Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 GT or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Pontiac G8 GT or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Here is the dilemma:
    I am getting my first car soon (I will admit I am extremely thankful that my parents are actually going to spend money on a car for me).
    With their consultation we have come down to two very possible choices:

THE PONTIAC G8 GT:
    This is basically a Holden Commodore SS with hood scoops, a Pontiac logo, and the wheel on the other side. This car appealed to my parents because of the fact that it is a full-sized sedan, it looks great, and has promising reliability being Australian and not American. They also don't really mind the 361hp and the 385 ft/lb torque...all for barely over $30,000!
    http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources...c-G8-GT_01.jpg

THE MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION X:
    This is the less likely choice because of its worse highway fuel consumption, smaller size, and longer braking distance than the G8. Also, my parents are not very supportive of my first car having manual transmission, so the $38,000 MR is more possible because of this, but I'm hopeful that the appeal of the GSR's lower pricetag (by $5000) will change their mind. The points for the Evo X include its superior handling and more promising reliability.
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte..._evo_3_4f3.jpg

Both cars are very safe and have decent warranties.

SOME OTHER CHOICES:
    From when I was about 8 years old, I always thought I would get an old Porsche 911 as my first car. I found a black RUF CTR (humunahumunahumuna) in St. Louis, Missouri for $38,000 and a bunch of other beautiful Porsche 911's for under $30,000 all over AutoTrader Classics. Honestly, one of those would be my #1 choice, but my parent's won't even consider used cars...
    http://images.traderpub.net/img/10/d...90460112_1.jpg

My question for you guys is: which car should be the one?
    Also, what points can be used to possibly convince my parents to get a used car (besides price, handling in the case of Porsches, reliability in the case of Porsches)?
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 11-30-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Pictures too wide.
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

resale value .... you'll lose less with a good 911 than a new Pontiac

Also, what have you driven as a manual ?
    No reason why it's any "better" for them to stick (!) you with an automatic.
    Sounds liek typical unfounded bias. Correct it with education

The EVO has the advantage of much better handling and that brings safety.

Forget the 911 as a first car unless you are able to afford a relpacement once it's exited a corner backwards. The 911 is a car that needs to be learned how to drive OR is driven very sedately. If you intended the latter then go buy a people carrier
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

THIS IS AN ESSAY I WROTE DURING THE SUMMER...tell me what you think

- thanks in advance

Why that Porsche?

Since 1933 when Hitler gained interest in Ferdinand Porsche's automobile designs for the “People's Car”, the trademark of Volkswagen has been associated with Germany's most reliable and practical manufacturer of automobiles. When Ferdinand decided to expand his chain of people's cars to a performance line, he left a permanent mark with the rear-engine, air cooled, round-headlight design of the 365 coupe. These design features are kept in today's 911s, but they are most exquisitely expressed in the Porsches of the 1980s. Other German manufacturers available to the U.S. market, such as Bayerische MotorWerke (BMW) and Mercedes-Benz, are just pretenders, advertising unnecessary cosmetic and technological luxuries and pushing a premium name to sell their horseless carriages.
    The 911 was introduced in 1963 as 901 and was based on the legendary 356. Porsche had to change the name of their first sportscar, because Peugeot had a copyright on all three digit car model numbers with a zero in the middle. There is no other car that is so well built around its engine as the 911. The rear-placed six cylinder engine is aircooled and had a volume of 2.0 liters in 1964. The car was very fast in those years. The 911 immediately did well on the race tracks and is ever since known for its outstanding performance in handling, acceleration and most of all braking. The body of the car, which makes it so easy to recognize a 911, was designed by Ferdinand "Butzi" Porsche. The design is so well done that every line seems never ending and the car looks good from every angle, the reason for the Porsche team not to change the car's body very much in 30 years. When Lagaay, Porsche design director, was asked why they hadn't redesigned the new 911's door he simply answered; "it's a good door".
    Reliability and simplicity has been part of Porsche through its more than 70 years of existence. JD Power & Associates often gives the 911 line of Porsches a 10.0/10.0 for reliability. Even Consumer Reports rated the Porsche 911's reliability with their solid red “excellent”. Other research suggests that models from 2005 to 2009 are also consistent in reliability with previous models, but little can be found on Porsche's 911's from the 1980s. However, with such reliability ratings in the 21st Century, when automotive electronics manufacturing is outsourced to China and quality tends to droop as “we don't make things like we used to”, Porsches of the 1980s should fare well for many years to come, even with a few thousand miles on their odometer.
    Along with Japanese-car-like reliability, Porsches are known for their stability during normal driving and at high speeds (not that I plan to speed) because of their high-quality independent front and rear suspensions. Furthermore, these old Porsches actually accelerate faster than a 2009 Audi TT. While an Audi TT (2000cc, Turbocharged) takes 6.1 seconds to get to the 60mph mark, a stock Porsche 911 Carrera (3164cc) from 1984 takes 5.5 seconds. The reasons that the old Porsche fares better than a brand new Audi is for two reasons: the Porsche both weights less and has a bigger and beefier engine. These extremes of performance are the very same that make the car very safe. In addition to the air bags that are standard (and virtually unchanged) since the late 1970s, the steering capabilities and quick acceleration and braking of these classical Porsches makes their accident avoidance capabilities excellent. Also, the tighter suspension allows the driver to feel his speed through the automobile's vibrations, preventing one from, for example, going 90mph without noticing the fact.
    Though surprising, it is assumed that Porsche models dated 1984 have a miles-per-gallon (hwy) rating of over 25. This is impressive for a six cylinder engine, especially for one made in the 1980s.The Audi TT, a four cylinder turbocharged vehicle, gets 26 mpg.
    In terms of insurance, the higher the value of the car, the lower the impact on the wallet. Also, insurance discounts for good grades and policy combinations will make the expense of protecting a young driver less evident. On Progressive.com, for example, monthly payments to insure a 1984 Porsche 911 are $411.26 for their Custom package (with all forms of coverage maxed-out) or $2250 when paid in full. Despite what had been predicted, insurance for this vehicle is not so extravagant after all.
    With reliability, sensitive handling and pedal response, decent gas mileage, and respectable safety, this 1984 Porsche 911 widebody should prove a great first car for a spoiled teenager to remember and cherish through to his middle ages (similarly to our former next-door-neighbor). With these advantages, sufficiencies, and the styling to make mom happy, little can justify the purchase of a Honda Accord coupe or Audi TT instead of this truly beautiful specimen of classical German engineering.
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

That is quite a lot of monye to spend on a car that statistically you have a greater than 50% chance of crashing (this is not directed at you in particular, but all of us teen drivers). But, if your parents do want to fork over the dough don't dismiss a BMW 3 just because it's ugly. Good performance, reliability, I'd assume good resale value etc...
    I would take the Pontiac out of the choices given, though.
    Your image of the Mitsu isn't displayed try attaching it. ( go to advanced and click on the paperclip to manage attachments, they make sure the image shows up)
    EDIT: An 80s 911 could have been completly wrecked mechanically by the idiot behind the wheel, regardless of how strong its internals are. If you do look at buying one, beware.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 11-30-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    resale value .... you'll lose less with a good 911 than a new Pontiac

Also, what have you driven as a manual ?
    No reason why it's any "better" for them to stick (!) you with an automatic.
    Sounds liek typical unfounded bias. Correct it with education

The EVO has the advantage of much better handling and that brings safety.

Forget the 911 as a first car unless you are able to afford a relpacement once it's exited a corner backwards. The 911 is a car that needs to be learned how to drive OR is driven very sedately. If you intended the latter then go buy a people carrier
    I agree with your point about the driveability of the Porsche and the good handling of the Mitsu, but what do you think of the G8? There are a bunch of reviews about it on youtube (by Edmunds and Cars):
    YouTube - Pontiac Reinvents Itself: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT by Inside Line
    YouTube - 2008 Pontiac G8/ Quick Drive

Also, I am thinking about upgrading the hell out of either one of these cars with forced induction and such...which would be the better one with which to do this?

Hope nobody minds...

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    That is quite a lot of monye to spend on a car that statistically you have a greater than 50% chance of crashing (this is not directed at you in particular, but all of us teen drivers). But, if your parents do want to fork over the dough don't dismiss a BMW 3 just because it's ugly. Good performance, reliability, I'd assume good resale value etc...
    I would take the Pontiac out of the choices given, though.
    Your image of the Mitsu isn't displayed try attaching it. ( go to advanced and click on the paperclip to manage attachments, they make sure the image shows up)
    EDIT: An 80s 911 could have been completly wrecked mechanically by the idiot behind the wheel, regardless of how strong its internals are. If you do look at buying one, beware.
    I gotta say that your are just like my parents by grimacing at the sound "pontiac". You may be surprised how awesome the car is; take a look at my previous post.

The BMW 3 is way out of my league though.... 43k is really pushing it lol

BTW, I'm an excellent driver!

Hope nobody minds...

Quote Originally Posted by GumballRunner View Post
    I agree with your point about the driveability of the Porsche and the good handling of the Mitsu, but what do you think of the G8? There are a bunch of reviews about it on youtube (by Edmunds and Cars):
    YouTube - Pontiac Reinvents Itself: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT by Inside Line
    YouTube - 2008 Pontiac G8/ Quick Drive

Also, I am thinking about upgrading the hell out of either one of these cars with forced induction and such...which would be the better one with which to do this?
    Don't do it to a classic Porsche.
    It would be easier on the Mitsu, you could just crank up the boost, but that will shorten the life of many of the parts.
    If you mod the G8, it would have to be a more thourogh job($$$), but because of that it might last longer/work better than an upped Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Don't do it to a classic Porsche.
    It would be easier on the Mitsu, you could just crank up the boost, but that will shorten the life of many of the parts.
    If you mod the G8, it would have to be a more thourogh job($$$), but because of that it might last longer/work better than an upped Evo.
    I like your points, hellcat

I am to continue leaning towards the Pontiac G8 GT. I love the idea of having a 2000HP M5 killer via twin turbo! Can't wait to get some Carbon Fiber to cover that L76!

Hopefully GM will keep Pontiac long enough for me to get the car!

Hope nobody minds...

Thoughts ?

After the first para ....... guess you're doing an engineering degree at college
    After the second para ..... omfg you are a nerd
    Last para ...... but at least you know how to brown nose your parents

Seriously, spent far too much time impressing with irrelevant facts. I measn startign with Hitler is never a good idea
    Parents will want to know ... is it safe, is it affordable, will it be reliable, does it have the right "image" ( that's the image THEY have for you, not the playboy one you may have for yourself ), will he kill himself in it.

A million miles away from yours of .............. will it be fun, can I drive it fast, will I get laid in it !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I like your points, hellcat

I am to continue leaning towards the Pontiac G8 GT. I love the idea of having a 2000HP M5 killer via twin turbo! Can't wait to get some Carbon Fiber to cover that L76!

Hopefully GM will keep Pontiac long enough for me to get the car!
    What?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

The BMW 3 is way out of my league though.... 43k is really pushing it lol

BTW, I'm an excellent driver!
    Whoops, sorry! I thought the basest of the base-model 3s (In America at least) was $29,995, turns out the cheapest 3 is $35 kays.

Inflation's a bitch.
    Either that, or I wasn't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Thoughts ?

After the first para ....... guess you're doing an engineering degree at college
    After the second para ..... omfg you are a nerd
    Last para ...... but at least you know how to brown nose your parents

Seriously, spent far too much time impressing with irrelevant facts. I measn startign with Hitler is never a good idea
    Parents will want to know ... is it safe, is it affordable, will it be reliable, does it have the right "image" ( that's the image THEY have for you, not the playboy one you may have for yourself ), will he kill himself in it.

A million miles away from yours of .............. will it be fun, can I drive it fast, will I get laid in it !!!!
    I am actually gonna get a business degree in college (Columbia University I hope), I cannot deny the nerd accusation (I also build my own computers and water cool them :P) and am actually looking for a car that I can drive when I start a family with a big hint of fun (oxymoron lol)

But then again I sure wouldn't mind getting a little somethin' somethin' before the whole family thing...
    Last edited by GumballRunner; 11-30-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Hope nobody minds...

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    What?
    That's actually possible with a Chevy smallblock

MWUAHAHA!

Hope nobody minds...

Hope I'm not coming off as a spoiled brat here...

lol

Hope nobody minds...

That's actually possible with a Chevy smallblock

MWUAHAHA!
    Do you really need 2,000 bhp to "kill" a M5 though? A M5 will do 0-100 km/h in 4.7 seconds, whereas a G8 GT will do it in 5.3 with a good driver at the wheel. 4.7 seconds 0-100 sprint isn't so spectacular either, considering the car has 507 bhp.

I highly doubt you can get 2,000 bhp out of that engine, even if you throw in a considerable wad of cash in tuning (several thousands).
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Thread Information