Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 GT or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

I'd rather a 6 Estate.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

umm... not available here, and the previous generation 6 is rubbish to drive. we looked at it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'd rather a 6 Estate.
    Dunno if we even have that over here.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by GumballRunner View Post
    lol
    Did you take the CX-7 to Laguna Seca yet?
    have not... will be taking the G to a trackday around xmas.

That's a problem. Becuase America doesn't like estates or hatchbacks you're stuck with little choice.

I'd be annoyed if I had to for an SUV because of this.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the G8 has a manual. get that.
    the EVO is too much for a first car.

ideally, get something second hand that's a lot cheaper. no warranty but it won't matter so much when you crash it.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    the G8 has a manual. get that.
    the EVO is too much for a first car.

ideally, get something second hand that's a lot cheaper. no warranty but it won't matter so much when you crash it.
    Tell Gumball about the joys of owning an ass-happy deathtrap.

well, thats wy we went with the CX-7. its the least SUV like of the primary competition in that pricepoint. the passat wagon was nice, but had to stup up to the vr6 for any power, and that was way more money. the murano was very dull to drive, nice but uninteresting. the rogue was cheap and uninteresting. she didnt want a toyota. and while she likes volvos, she doesnt like ford volvos. (her first car was a 940 turbo.)

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Tell Gumball about the joys of owning an ass-happy deathtrap.
    oh right!
    yeah, don't get an older 911.
    well, you can get one, i just doubt that you should.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

let alone a ****ing Ruf CTR!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Pretty interesting thread so far. I think it would be wise to think everything through first.
    When I first got my driving license I dreamt of getting an Aston or a Ferrari as my first car. My parents being car fans as well (similar to yours maybe) was looking at something like an AMG as well. Its pretty understandable actually.

I first drove in my parents E class, and because I thought I was a brilliant driver, I almost sent the car (with me inside) over the side of a highway bridge. The fact is that when we are under 20, we aren't as great drivers as we think we are.

When I eventually bought my first car almost 4 years ago, it was a 2000 Accord. 5-spd manual, 2.4L, pathetic power, but I still managed to have fun... until a Dodge Caravan totaled it

What I'm saying is that your first car when you are really just a kid (16!), shouldn't be some powerful car, even if your parents think so. Pick a cheap 2nd hand with good safety ratings, and after you really learn how to drive, look at something else. Thats what I'm doing at least

now i see you're from central jersey, i live here in staten island right nearby and i know for a fact that there are some pretty bad street racings accidets and busts over in jersey due to big open roads unlike here in staten island where we have crappy over crowded roads. over all in NYC we have crap roads so its not about speed, its about looks and sound. the G8 is a great looking car. i took a look at it and thought it was nice. A manual car is a nice first car but i don't know about learning to drive stick on powerful car (unless you know how to) a high powered rwd and stick is VERY BAD for inexperienced drivers. keep in mind i'm only 17 so i don't know too much but i know senior members will agree. i learned to drive stick on a fwd honda civic. now i feel i'm ready for a rwd powerful stick but i know it'll be dangerous. having learned on a g35, i've done some very stupid things especially with my VDC off and it hasn't always been pretty, especially when you don't expect it to happen. i have scared many people riding shotgun with dumb driving. of course you learn and move on but you gain wisdom with mishaps. luckily i have never been in a situation that i crashed or got a summons for my driving. at my age of 17 if i were given a POS to drive i would drive it. i was blessed to have a shiney new G35 sitting in my garage with no one using it so it became the car that i would use most of the time. anything would have been fine for me though. of course i love the power and style of the g. the girls love it and the guys evny it. thats truely a great feeling, especially if you worked hard for your car. i work hard to keep it in prestine condition. another great compliment is when some one gets in a stick car who knows nothing about driving stick and goes wow i didn't even know it wasn't an automatic. or wow i didn't even notice you had three pedals. i smile when i hear that. i am against having a fast car as a first but i'm not gonna hate because i know what its like. i believe that since i have a great car background and driving i knew what i could handle and how to handle it. if you know you can then you should be fine. when you get your car, eggnogg it and lets hope you don't end up wrecked!

also i can see how you could pick a G8 over a G37 sedan. more interior trunk space and a v8 torque beast! i am partial to the chassis of the G. saved me many times!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I'll tell you;
    You all know your stuff in terms of driving experience.

Another question (I know it sounds dumb):
    How much more powerful is the G8 GT than the Toyota Camry or the Honda Odyssey (Remember that I find the Camry utterly underpowered)?

I mean, when I put my foot down on the pedal ever so slightly, will I feel like I'm in an Atlas rocket in comparison?
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

Quote Originally Posted by GumballRunner View Post
    I'll tell you;
    You all know your stuff in terms of driving experience.

Another question (I know it sounds dumb):
    How much more powerful is the G8 GT than the Toyota Camry or the Honda Odyssey (Remember that I find the Camry utterly underpowered)?

I mean, when I put my foot down on the pedal ever so slightly, will I feel like I'm in an Atlas rocket in comparison?
    Depends on throttle response.
    However at full throttle you'll notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Depends on throttle response.
    However at full throttle you'll notice the difference.
    That's one hell of a given!
    I haven't floored either of them...
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

Thread Information