Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sooners.

Go Tim Tebow and Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    i think its completely rediculous for obama to be saying anything about college football other than cheering on his favorite team and the like. thats not his place, nor any politicians place to try to force change in college football.
    This is true, but he may be the only person that holds enough weight for someone to listen. Listening to Kirk Herbstreet and crew complain about it hasn't done much to the (flawed) system.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Obama was asked about playoffs in an interview and gave his answer as a joke basically - what can he do really? I thought it was pretty funny and hearing his reasoning was key.

The lack of playoffs is pretty sad to me as the system that is in place is controversial and undefeated teams can get glossed over due top being in weaker divisions so evaluating the true skill of a team in a weaker division is not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    This is true, but he may be the only person that holds enough weight for someone to listen. Listening to Kirk Herbstreet and crew complain about it hasn't done much to the (flawed) system.
    who cares if he is the only person who holds enough weight for someone to listen. its not right for the government to be "throwing its weight" around in college football.

The system will change when it changes man, yeah the system is flawed, but its tons of fun, and it makes a lot of money.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The lack of playoffs is pretty sad to me as the system that is in place is controversial and undefeated teams can get glossed over due top being in weaker divisions so evaluating the true skill of a team in a weaker division is not so easy.
    See thats what I like about the system (and the old pre bcs system). It punishes teams for having easy schedules. That schedule is the only reason its oklahoma playing for the championship and not Texas, its because Texas scheduled a bunch of creampuffs out of conference and Oklahoma scheduled a top 25 team (cincinatti).

it makes every game a playoff game. thats why so many people watch college football every weekend, because every weekend some nobody can knock of a legit contender because that contender didn't bring their A-game (cough...usc...cough). Plus you dont have any teams putting in their second string for the last few games of the season because they already clinched their playoff berth.

thats why nobody (outside of duke) cares about college basketball untill the tournament (and even then, not untill the sweet 16), its cause those games dont matter very much, especially for the traditionally good teams.

So yes, a playoff is really the only true way to know who the best team truly was, but it probably makes for crappier football the rest of the season.

plus, say there is an 8 team playoff. do you think an unbeaten bosie state or hawaii or whoever the "cinderella" of the year is is going to get picked to be in that 8 team playoff over a 1 or 2 loss team in the big 12 or the SEC? Its still gonna lead to a bunch of probably deserving teams being left out.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I really don;t know enough about the system to be a huge comment but plucking the "best" 2 teams by any system as opposed to picking the "best" 8 teams seems unreliable.

I don't think a playoff would dampen the season to any significant extent and I think the playoffs would be even more exciting and the ultimate victory more validated.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    See thats what I like about the system (and the old pre bcs system). It punishes teams for having easy schedules. That schedule is the only reason its oklahoma playing for the championship and not Texas, its because Texas scheduled a bunch of creampuffs out of conference and Oklahoma scheduled a top 25 team (cincinatti).

it makes every game a playoff game. thats why so many people watch college football every weekend, because every weekend some nobody can knock of a legit contender because that contender didn't bring their A-game (cough...usc...cough). Plus you dont have any teams putting in their second string for the last few games of the season because they already clinched their playoff berth.

thats why nobody (outside of duke) cares about college basketball untill the tournament (and even then, not untill the sweet 16), its cause those games dont matter very much, especially for the traditionally good teams.

So yes, a playoff is really the only true way to know who the best team truly was, but it probably makes for crappier football the rest of the season.

plus, say there is an 8 team playoff. do you think an unbeaten bosie state or hawaii or whoever the "cinderella" of the year is is going to get picked to be in that 8 team playoff over a 1 or 2 loss team in the big 12 or the SEC? Its still gonna lead to a bunch of probably deserving teams being left out.
    You do make a good point. The College Football regular season is far and away the most interesting season in all of sports (not opening this to argument, it's my opinion). I guess being a Rutgers guy and all, it'd be nice to see a Big East team contend for the national title since the SEC, Pac-10, and Big-10 always get spooged on; well the Big-10 not so much anymore after they realised that conference was overrated. Was a 2 loss LSU the best team last year? Most likely. Would it be cool to see an undefeated Utah go up against Florida or Oklahomo? I think so.

bolded word was a legitimate typo that I just noticed and went to edit but I think it's funny so I'll leave it in
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Tebow showed who deserved the Heisman this year by making the plays that made the difference.

Bradford did a good job too but not exceptional when it counted...he's a one-trick pony and Tebow is a Swiss Army knife.

It was a good game except for the sloppy penalties toward the end.

Grats to both teams for getting there and to the Gators FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Tebow showed who deserved the Heisman this year by making the plays that made the difference.

Bradford did a good job too but not exceptional when it counted...he's a one-trick pony and Tebow is a Swiss Army knife.

It was a good game except for the sloppy penalties toward the end.

Grats to both teams for getting there and to the Gators FTW.
    yeah... one of the best games i've watched this year, pro or college. i hadn't watched bradford play before last night, but i was thoroughly unimpressed. while he is obviously a competent qb, he did not appear to be the on field leader that tebow is. and that to me is what separates him from a pro level player, which i believe tebow already is. tebow should have gotten the heisman again this year.

anybody else amused by Tebow carrying the ball for the last 5-6 plays?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

yeah, florida wasn't looking too hot untill tebow put the game on his shoulders and started really running.

Tebow is definitely NFL capable.

Bradford, maybe, but he showed that he doesn't handle pressure very well.

This year's draft class isn't very impressive QB wise... (only saying that because Seattle looks like it will be drafting a QB in the first round, to start grooming a successor to Matt Hasslebeck who is obviously past his prime...)

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Tebow is definitely NFL capable.

Bradford, maybe, but he showed that he doesn't handle pressure very well.

This year's draft class isn't very impressive QB wise... (only saying that because Seattle looks like it will be drafting a QB in the first round, to start grooming a successor to Matt Hasslebeck who is obviously past his prime...)
    I don't know about tebow being NFL capable.. Can't see him running the option well in the big leagues were defenses will eat it up. I could be wrong though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

8 team playoffs is a bad idea. And even then you will get similar disagreements as to whether the team in 9th is better than the team in 8th or not. Not all teams can play against everyone else in college football so it just doesn't work like it does in the nfl.

I'd like to see conditional playoffs. When there is a clear #1 and #2 you dont really need them but otherwise you have them. With 5 weeks off after the end of the season they can squeeze some games in for close ranked and undefeated teams. Sure that means they have to play more games but if you are one of the top teams you should be able to handle it. And that also means more ticket sales and Ad revenue from tv.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    8 team playoffs is a bad idea. And even then you will get similar disagreements as to whether the team in 9th is better than the team in 8th or not. Not all teams can play against everyone else in college football so it just doesn't work like it does in the nfl.

I'd like to see conditional playoffs. When there is a clear #1 and #2 you dont really need them but otherwise you have them. With 5 weeks off after the end of the season they can squeeze some games in for close ranked and undefeated teams. Sure that means they have to play more games but if you are one of the top teams you should be able to handle it. And that also means more ticket sales and Ad revenue from tv.
    8 versus 9 I can't see as too big of a problem. Where I think people scratch their head is with the likes of an undefeated Utah not having a chance at the national title since their conference/schedule isn't up to terms with the powerhouse schools. With that, arguments can be made for USC, Texas, etc.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I agree - I think the issue with the current system which I have little understanding of is that there can be several teams viewed as the top 2 teams in the nation, maybe as many as 5 or 6 at most I'd say vying for that spot. IF you take the top 8, it's not that critical of not all are the absolute best as the lower ranked ones are not as crucial frankly, what matters is you have a good 3 to or 6 teams that are viable for the best in the nation and the rest don't matter that much as though they could squeak by they probably will be beaten - and it somehow doesn't seem as bad if 8 and 9 are mixed up in an 8 team playoff system instead of 2 and 3 being mixed up in the current system.

Thread Information