Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Devices (Based on an MSN Article)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I have seen the iPhone used but I must say this touch screen keyboard business bothers me. I love technology yet am surprisingly tech old school - I have a CD player, I don't have a cell phone, my computers are all years old and used. I can't really justify buying really flashy new stuff because I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the money. I see many people that buy expensive tech and never use it enough to justify the money they spent on it. Part of this is due to my joblessness but even so, were I to get a job a cell phone would not be a priority, certainly not an iPhone which is a massive ripoff in my eyes.

Ferrer has it right I think - I spend so much time on the net already, why do I need a phone that connects me to the internet? Am I so dependent on it that I can't go places without accessing it? I mean it is sorta handy and if it was cheaper and faster I'd consider getting it but my buddy has an iPhone spent hundreds on it and spends probably 60-100 a month on a cell phone bill. A cheap cell phone will have many of the features of an iPhone but what it will never have is sexiness - and this is what apple products have. The fact that they are brilliantly designed is almost secondary to their (what I said about smart cars earlier and this is only semi-serious) fashion accessory status. They are hot, they are cool, everyone that's anyone has one, so you must as well. It doesn't bother me that they have all this cool stuff in them, what bothers me is frankly the cost of what you're paying for - 3G mobile internet is quite expensive at least here in Canada, and so are cell phone bills in general at least according to me. MY parent's have a cell and on the rare time a cell would be handy, I take it. This is probably around 30 times a year and even when I take it, I don't even always use it. When I'm out, it's often with friends so I could always use one of their phones and if I really need a phone and am alone, then phones are pretty much everywhere anyways. Mind you, if I could pay 10 bucks a month for absolutely unlimited calling on a cell phone and I had to lock into a contract for 3 years I'd probably do it, but this is a far cry form what it'd actually cost. As for cell phones themselves, I hardly care what I have, I guess a nicer lighter thinner shinier fancier one would be cool, but I find that the entry-level "free" ones typically have all the features I would ever need. I'm not sure I've ever texted with a cell phone and while I realise that there is some degree of practicality to texting, I am adverse to it largely as I think if you are going to talk to someone it's easier to just call them up.

Back to the iStuff, looking at the 8 GB iPod touch reveals that it is slightly cheaper than the 120 GB iPod Classic, it does have a larger screen too I guess but what I like most is that it is solid state memory - should be more reliable and I just like the fact that it has no rotating pieces - solid state may well be the wave of the future. I only have a few gigs worth of music - a vast majority of it is from my CD collection of about 120 CDs, a small amount downloaded off iTunes so I wouldn't need a huge amount of storage I suppose but I'd want to store all of my library on my iPod and never think of running out of space - advantage Classic, plus I think I prefer the classic interface. However, the touch has up to 32 GB (for 400 dollars mind you) and as I mentioned is solid state which could be handy. I suppose the choice is not too clear for me were I to get one but I am holding off until I get a job/a car with an audio jack in it as I don't really use my CD player much anyways because there are not many circumstances where I need it - when I used to take the subway an iPod woulda been superior to the CD player but that is no longer the case and mobile music outside the car is rare so why do I need an iPod if my car has no jack for it? I could buy a radio but I am cheap and I think aftermarket stereos are gaudy.

Yes I rambled but I had things to say and there is not much else to do tonight as me and my friends are all boring people and doing nothing sexy.
    It's hard to understand, appreciate, or justify an expensive cell phone until you've owned one. Especially if you own a cheap cell phone the difference in quality, for lack of a better term, is evident.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

If I get a Bluetooth for the PS3 does that make me a jerk?
    UCP FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I need to own an expensive cell phone to understand, appreciate, or justify it because I've seen them in use and I know the features I'd use. I just think I'd be happy with a bare-bones spartan one. Even were I in the position of being flush with money and could easily afford an expensive one, I'm not sure I could justify it. It must be said though that I am more able to swallow spending a large amount of money in a single purchase than a moderate amount over the course of a long time (see buying a nice cell phone vs. singing a longterm fancy bells and whistles contract for said cell phone.)

TG was right

I don't think I need to own an expensive cell phone to understand, appreciate, or justify it because I've seen them in use and I know the features I'd use.
    Trust me.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Trust me.
    I'd sooner trust fiset than you.

I'd sooner trust Quiggs than you.

I'd sooner trust badda than you.

I'd sooner trust What than you.

No I lied, they are all much less trustworthy than you.

Quote Originally Posted by rallyswift75 View Post
    If I get a Bluetooth for the PS3 does that make me a jerk?
    It makes you a douche jk

In all seriousness, I used to criticize fancy phones, I had the bare minimum when it came to phones, until one day my wife surprised me with a Blackberry... Now I don't want to go back, I'll either upgrade or stay with something similar.

I'd sooner trust fiset than you.

I'd sooner trust Quiggs than you.

I'd sooner trust badda than you.

I'd sooner trust What than you.

No I lied, they are all much less trustworthy than you.
    omg omg noob!!1!
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Haha I just got the BB Storm. Now I feel like an uber douchbag. It's cool though because I'm still 10x better than you.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    omg omg noob!!1!
    If it makes you feel any better, the order of trustworthiness in that list decreases dramatically as you go down.

You for example, are much more trustworthy than say, Mr. Quigglesworth.

My personal mobile (cell) phone is old.. but my work mobile is a Nokia E65. Yup, I carry two phones around with me.. and I barely use either of them when I'm not working. I could have just kept it with one, but this way I can turn work off.. or it 'runs out of battery'. I've used a few 'smart'phones before.. they all seem to have poor audio quality and poor battery life. They may have fixed that in the latest ones though I guess, it's been a while since I've played with one.

I sell Mobile phones for a living, so I see this tech come in and think to myself "Who would use this?"

As far As I'm concerned, the most practical aspects of a phone are Calling, Texting, Playing MP3's, storage of files and Internet use.

If i want a digital camera I'll buy one.

And in the end, the convergence of these devices into one just means every function is compromised.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
    Blackberry
    iPhone
    Bluetooth
    Segway (though I've never seen one)
    Sony PSP
    I'm pretty sure there are a lot more douchebag devices out there but these gadgets are just some of what I can think of
    * Here's a link to clarify: Gadgets that make you look like a jerk - Tech and gadgets- msnbc.com
    I hope this solves everything. Basically this post was typed as my response to how some people look like jerks with certain devices (i.e iPhones and Blackberries; not-so-smart people with smartphones). Disregard how good some of these devices sell.
    This article from MSN just reminded me of what I see where I live; most people who have blackberries and iPhones are self-centered people who happen to be Apple fanboys, for instance. Your take?.
    *Don't be like these guys (Photo courtesy of some guy at flickr.com)
    (Photo courtesy of MSN.com)
    internet, this is the prof we were waiting for
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

i just ordered the blackberry storm... someone please nominate me for biggest douche in the universe
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

A touchscreen Blackberry.

Good luck with that.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information