Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Luxury.
    Necessary luxury.
    Luxury.
    Luxury.
    Luxury.
    Necessary to run luxuries.
    Luxury.
    I would consider a lock for a bike as an insurance, at least here it's not a luxury.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

golf is just expensive period. no you dont need the latest, but there is a difference. I used my first set of clubs for about 5 years and i finally upgraded to some hybrids, I'd say on good shots i probably get about 15 exta feet, but on crappy shots (a majority of my shots) it probably goes about 40 or 50 feet further.

you never really need the latest in anything but like with any activity, there are a lot of golfers who have to have the latest and greatest every few months. plus there's all the bag accessories, gps stuff (silly if you ask me), laser rangefinders, all kinds of gadgets galore!

plus just playing golf is expensive. just the city course out here is about 13$ to play without a cart. that adds up over a summer let me tell you.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

With over 220 golf courses and a population of 6 million we are a little over-supplied, which means cost is not bad. Tho' the big main courses are very difficult to get on ( like go to St Andrews at 6am and wait to see if you are early enough to book one of the public tee off times )
    I still have a hickory shafted "mashie" ( a 6-7 iron ). Was my fathers, has to be 60+ years old and is great for getting me out of the really rough links
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    a wallet
    a cellular phone
    a laptop computer
    a lock for a bike
    flatware
    batteries
    stationary
    Luxury
    Nuisance
    Luxury
    Necessity
    Unknown
    Necessity/ Nuisance
    Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think the issue hear is the meaning of what is a necessity and what is not a necessity.

I don't see anything as being a necessary - there is a always a condition on it for me on necessity to me. Food and water are not necessary - they are necessary to maintain human life for example. So if you share my view that necessities are always dependent on some factor, then everyone can have difference views of what are necessities. For one person, maybe all they need to be happy is a TV and some friends, another person may want a house, lots of gadgets, friends, a lover, lots of money, whatever. It's all about whatever your own perception is - I think post-modernists would agree with this interpretation.
    If life isn't a necessity, then nothing else is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I would consider a lock for a bike as an insurance, at least here it's not a luxury.
    some people would consider a bike lock a nuisance, in particular if it is fitted to somebody else his bike.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

and some generally overlooked types of nuisance...watches and jewelry.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If life isn't a necessity, then nothing else is.
    You got it.

Life is not necessary.

None of these things would be necessary if you were living in the bush...it's all perspective.

Some businessmen would have necessities that would be a college students luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You got it.

Life is not necessary.
    I think you are being a tad too radical.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I just think I'm using the word to the letter of the definition.

Thread Information