Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good news, Lambo back at killing people

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    And wwgkd would you consder extreme track cornering as low-traction situations as at that speed traction is hard to come by?
    cure it with downforce
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Is AWD really beneficial to 0-60 or is it traction control that does the job? The AWD adds what about 100 pounds or so to the car yeah, does the fancy traction control + AWD utilised by cars such as the GT-R make it better than a comparable RWD car?

And wwgkd would you consder extreme track cornering as low-traction situations as at that speed traction is hard to come by?
    Lambo's AWD has been pretty much useless to the car...

Just compare the LP640-4 to the upcoming Murcielago SV..

I'll bet there will be not much difference in their 0-60mph acceleration times...

Going round corners, having less weight would also help the lambo....

And like what cluth monkey said:

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    cure it with downforce
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Well if the LP640-2 comes out and has little to nothing other than a change form AWD to RWD then we can compare the two - but it's not out yet.

Hooray!

I can't wait for the new Superleggera! Sounds like fun!
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

No, I wouldn't think so. It requires a different driving style, and the speeds are different at different parts of the corners, but over all they don't have enough advantages on asphault to make up for the disadvantages. Really, to keep from understeering you have to apply the majority of the power to the rear wheels anyways (even if you don't understeer it's really hard on the front tires) and the few occasions that the front do recieve power don't really justify the extra weight to me.

It is hard to compare them since people tend to be fanboys or to prefer one style of driving to another. So even when the same sports car is offered in both variants there's still controversy. But look for instance at the 911. The more hardcore GTs get rear wheel drive, while the softer turbo gets awd. And there's not a whole lot of cars racing awd when they're primarily racing on asphault, many awd cars are even converted to rwd for racing. So I'd have to say advantage rwd, unless you just can't drive that style.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    But look for instance at the 911. The more hardcore GTs get rear wheel drive, while the softer turbo gets awd.
    I'd say the Turbo is the only supercar (for the track) even slightly worthy of AWD based on its rear engine design.

not if there's a GT3 in the vicinity.... AWD just looks silly then
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    not if there's a GT3 in the vicinity.... AWD just looks silly then
    True.

i guess unless it starts raining

Or you need to traverse off road terrain...

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Lambo's AWD has been pretty much useless to the car...
    As you would know having driven the cars in both guises in a variety of conditions?

Just compare the LP640-4 to the upcoming Murcielago SV..
    Which isn't out yet, though I'm sure you must have driven this as well in a variety of conditions to make such an informed comment.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Is AWD really beneficial to 0-60 or is it traction control that does the job? The AWD adds what about 100 pounds or so to the car yeah, does the fancy traction control + AWD utilised by cars such as the GT-R make it better than a comparable RWD car?

Bearing in mind we don't race our cars why would you need four wheel drive at all?

Figures are meaningless, driving pleasure isn't.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Does someone really buy an AWD Lamborghini because of the safety? I always though anyone who bought a post-Diablo Lamborghini had no taste, didn't like driving, or was a straight up would-be. For the purist customers and driving enthusiasts, RWD just makes sense for an automotive of Lamborghini's caliber.
    The reason the Lambo uses AWD is add to the traction and stability for high speed maneuverability and during hard acceleration. Because the Muce and the Gallardo have so much power and torque, if the road is a little slippery or you're not an excellent driver (which most of us are not), it's easy to lose traction. Though Ferrari has about the same amount of power, Ferrari's traction control systems and power delivery are significantly more advanced. I can only assume this announcement is a sign that Lambo and Audi have greatly improved Lambo traction control and power delivery.

Porsche has used AWD in the Turbo for quite awhile as a means to overing coming the rear weight bias as well as the car's small footprint. Anyone who's driven a GT2 will tell you that while the car is tons of fun, it's also a handful.

Finally, anybody who says that AWD and traction control are for whimps should remember that in cars with 400, 500 or 600hp it's REALLY easy to run out of road very quickly.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Bearing in mind we don't race our cars why would you need four wheel drive at all?

Figures are meaningless, driving pleasure isn't.
    Well, I am formerly an engineering student and a person who likes to know how things work and the mechanism of how they work so in this instance - it does matter.

It sounds - thought you don't state it - that you are siding with RWD cars. What if you prefer the grip/dynamics of AWD during cornering?

What if you prefer the grip/dynamics of AWD during cornering?
    But isn't AWD only used to the fullest off the tarmac? I'm no engineering expert but to my knowledge RWD provides better cornering than AWD (in a road racing perspective), and RWD is just better all around with track racing.

Thread Information