Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The best car EVER

Hehe, I'm with Wouter. The Mini is the grand daddy. And like all good grandparents, it beats it's descendent, that blasted BMW abomination.

I'd have to agree with motorsportnerd, when talking about the "best car ever" it's hard to define "best" since so many factors are involved, and are of varying importance to different people, but the most logical train of thought would be the car that has impacted the world the most, and that would be the Ford Model T.
    I think the number of cars sold worldwide is a pretty good indication of a model's significance, so right up there with the model T would have to be the original VW Beetle, no other car has sold as many or been so pervasive in almost every part of the world.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

The S-Class, a huge step up in the class, and the autombile, and even with many new competitors is still at the top of the class

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    I think the number of cars sold worldwide is a pretty good indication of a model's significance, so right up there with the model T would have to be the original VW Beetle, no other car has sold as many or been so pervasive in almost every part of the world.
    There is any chance than that ultimately the Lada (many millions built yet and still in production) will become the best car of the world, and though its original, the Fiat 124 became European car of the year in 1965 (and was my car of choice for getting my drivers lessons) I think to be nominated the best car ever is a bit too much honour
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Intensely difficult though it is to pick one single car that can unquestionably be called "the best", I have to agree on the Porsche 911.

In particular, the narrow body RUF Turbo R version:
    It is practical, in that you can easily fit all of your luggage/ shopping in, or if you choose, 4 people (at a tight squeeze).
    It is easy to drive as an everyday car, you have the joy of being able to see out the back for instance.
    It has 4 wheel drive, so you can go off-road (well, a flat field is the limit, but its more than most SUV's see.)
    It had huge performance, the acceleration to 200+mph is absolutely effortless.
    The engine is still only a 3.6, so fuel consumption is still reasonable, and servicing costs are significantly less than the tens of thousands you pay for your McLaren.

See how fast it is:
    http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/RUFs_lo.wmv ~ 10MB dial-up friendly
    http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/RUFs_hi.wmv ~ 20MB broadband

(Interesting to see how the CTR is still faster, despite being 14 years older.)
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 12-29-2004 at 09:02 AM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by elsamico
    i think its not the porsche, i would prefer to go with some thing like a Mercedes E55 AMG because that is pure luxury ,class, and brute force, i think also its quite affective because it is unsespecting with looks, but has a hidden 5.5 liter , 500bhp engine..
    i would also say that the new aston DB9 would beat off a porsche with a stick...
    E55 just is a bit too subtle. Its the wow factor of the Porsche, the styling that everyone recognises, that makes it such a great car. The greatest car in the world will never be a sedan, its too boring and conventional.

And with the Aston DB9, I don't think so...

Porsche 911 996 Turbo: 0-60 in 3.9 secs, on to a top speed of 189MPH

Aston Martin DB9 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, on to a top speed of 186MPH..

Volkswagen Beetle

My choice: My Volkwagen Beetle was undestructable -till the german TÜV finished his (legal) "life". It was my best car ever -I got it as a (old and rusty) gift after an accident, drove it for 6 years and 100.000 km with nearly no costs and a consumption of 6,5/7 litres of fuel for 100 km and without any breakdowns on freeways as on dirt roads. My dream car: a Bugatti T 50 profilé, it could also be a Monteverdi 450 SS "Hai"/Shark -or (more common) maybe a Marcos 1600/1800 GT, a Melkus RS 1000 or a Volkswagen Brasilia SP 2.

ford Power

I'd defintely take an orginal Ford G.T 40 talk about a killer also a 1967 shelby 427 ac cobra wouldn't be bad

plymoth hemi cuda

I say 71' Plymoth Hemi Cuda. Got some pics below!
    Attached Images Attached Images

With any doubt, Porsche 911 (all) or the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

my opinion on this one is the 2000 ford mustang cobra R again, just my .02
    1992 mustang gt twinturbo'd
    1988 mustang gt bottlefed
    2004 mach 1 resting in garage
    see pic's of my car's at www.turborides.com

Lambourghini countach. Provoked debates and started arguements across the world. When that happens, you know you've got yourself an amazing car
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Its a definate tie between the 2004 Toyota Highlander and 2003 v6 Mustang, they're both in our garage, heh; Damn Im good.

a v6 mustang? whats the point of having a mustang without a v8?

Alot of people seem to agree its the 911 turbo. It's pure perfection .

Thread Information