Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Realistic Dream Garage?

Your Realistic Dream Garage?

About two years ago I was browsing through a Finnish classified car ads magazine and started thinking about how few of the cars I would have actually been willing to pay the asking price for.

I guess most of you that has ever browsed through a web site or magazine for used cars, or perhaps set a foot in a used car showroom agree that ever too often you stop and think, "how much did you want again?"

I get the feeling when I see restored Beetles and Volvo Amazon's on sale for 15 000€+

I like classic cars and I would love to own one, but would I, personally, pay the asking price for a vintage Ferrari, for instance? Even if I had the money? Hardly.

Nonetheless every once in a while you come across a nice find though, a jewel of sorts - but just not quite what you was looking for... if only you had a friend that needed that type of car now... if only you could put a bit more of your monthly salary on cars... if only you had the space!

In the paper the only car that stood out for me personally was an old Datsun 240z, in seemingly good shape with an asking price of 4000€. With no way to keep it and plenty of holes to stick my hard earned cash in, I stayed with the loyal public transport system.

So the question is, if you had a large garage and no worries in the world, what cars would you personally buy (with your own money or a loan that you would have to repay eventually) and for what reason? Out with your odd choices!

As you can see from my list, what I lack in reasoning I fill in with feelings. Also as far as favorite- anythings go, obviously your preference and taste changes with time, but don't be afraid to pitch in!

I know there has been many similar threads, but none quite like this, so bear with me:

[1] For me, I'd definitely keep my BMW E34 M5. I'm too attached to it to ever give it away even if I'd find a more suitable daily driver. I love the car for what it is, I love taking it to work and back home, even being stuck behind tourists driving below the speed limit. I don't need to overtake in this car, I don't even need to drive fast in it. But knowing how easily I could, gives me a nice tingle in my stomach. Combined to a huge trunk and loads of space everywhere it's hard to see why I'd ever want to be without it. Only reason not to drive it would be trying to keep the mileage low.

Other alternatives: Other newer M's, Audi S's
    (meaning only what I, personally, see as possible substitutes)

Reason for preference: Simple and plain: the newer the car, the more it costs and the worse value/money ratio. There are many cars that would go under the "daily driver" category that I'm very fond of - but wouldn't change for my car. Also looks, Association, Practicality
    (In comparison with the alternatives)

Price I would('ve) be prepared to pay for a substitute: Up to 20.000€, as a daily driver even higher prices could be acceptable depending on the situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------

[2] Fiat 500. Simple - this is the coolest car ever made. If you'd ever want to make an memorable entrance to anything from a party to a business meeting - this would be the car to do it in. The fact that you can get one for just a few hundred, ranging up to a few thousand € makes them very attractive as a 2nd or 3rd car. This car is for me what the Mini is for the masses.

Other alternatives: The many sisters cars and clones out there, everything from 600's to SEAT and Puch.

Reason for preference: Availability, Cost, Being "the one"

Price I could be prepared to pay: Up to 4000€ (for this car or an alternative)

[3] Honda S2000, pricey - but personally I feel the early models might be worth it. A perfect car for just driving, not going anywhere, not stopping to pick up anything. Just you, a passenger and the car burning fuel down a sunny, twisty country road. My first choice as a second car, but because of the price - 3rd.

Other alternatives: Many similar cars, from MX-5's to Boxters, unlike with the Fiat 500 these "alternatives" wouldn't stop me wanting one. For that I'd need a Lotus or a TVR, but availability and price comes in there.

Reason for preference: Availability (In the UK, things would be different), Price, Association

Price: Up to 20.000€

[4] FIAT Panda 4x4, yes I said it. The perfect car for where I wouldn't want to take the rest. Whenever there'd be driving on gravel, snow, ice or if I'd just need a workhorse, this car would be it. I'm not saying I wouldn't drive the other cars on gravel, it just would be more enjoyable in this. Also this would be the car to lend to your friend without worries.

Other Alternatives: Land Rover Defender

Reason for preference: Price, Genius of the Panda, Association

Price: Up to 6.000€
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Definitely agree with you there with the BMW M (of whatever models) and the Honda S2000.

The others, not so much, because they're rare over on this side of the ocean.

But I wouldn't mind a Subaru Impreza either.

- Suzuki Alto

For basic indestructability and ease of use. It ALWAYS fires up and never shows problems. Ideal for city driving and parking. Remarkably well off-roader because of the high and soft suspension.

- Alfa 75 3.0 V6

Always been wanting this one after a awesome childhood test drive with my uncle! Been looking at a few lately as a 2nd car. Might be coming soon!

- FIAT 600 Multipla

Cute-factor = 100%

- Porsche 930

Fast and good looking! Fun on the deserted night-time roads here

- Citroen C6

Ideal long-drives car due to it's hydropneumatics. Good looker as well !

BMW 3.0 CSL

I've always loved the insane styling of the 3.0. Even though it's a roadgoing racecar, I don't think i would feel any less than a racecar driver in it.

Fiat X1/9

Something about its looks makes it look faster than it is. I also like the fact because it's mid engined, the balance is great.

Caterham Seven

I think i would pay to build this thing. Its amazing handling and lightness would be well worth building it for trackdays and wowing your friends(if they could fit)

Nissan 300ZX

Even though it was the worst of its kind, it's sort of one of a kind.

Toyota MR2 Turbo

I always liked the MR2s, but i think the styling of the 1991 Turbo was classic as well as sensible. Because it is so small and mid engined, i think it would be great fun to drive(and it has a nice little turbo).

i'm talking really really realistic here
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

1. Volvo V70R

A very nice sleeper. Easily tuned to ~400bhp. And a muffler-less 5 cylinder turbo sounds absolutely orgasmic.

2. Land Rover Discovery LR3 TDV6

Obviously for its off-road prowess.

Pando, good call with Panda 4x4! Oddly enough, that is one of my favourite dreamcars too...

Realistically speaking, I can not spend more than 10,000ish € for my second car. So here is my little list of possible hobby cars in that price range.

[1] Mercedes-Benz 250 C (W114-series)
    [2] BMW 6-series (E24)
    [3] Alfa Romeo GTV6
    [4] Lancia Thema 8.32
    [5] Lancia Kappa Coupe
    [6] Alfa Romeo 156 2,5 V6

One can see that the list has no connecting theme. None of these cars are fast or particularly good looking. My only requirement is that my car has to be 100% in original condition. And the tiny matter of me liking it.
    Last edited by Revo; 12-26-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Good thread, I've often thought about this a lot. As much as I'd like a Carrera GT and a personal helicopter in my garage, I think I've put more time into thinking about a garage that I'll hopefully one day have. Realistically.

To start, I will own a B5 Audi S4 one day. Since I am happy with the transit downtown, it may be my first car at that (excluding the SX I had, which I ditched before I moved). I don't plan on getting a car too soon while living in the city, so I'll be able to save up. The picture below is essentially how I want it; later model S wheels, Oettinger front bumper, slightly lowered. Paint it metallic black and you've got perfection.

Secondly, I must have a Lotus Elise in my garage. I know it's a touch on the less realistic side of realistic, but used models already go for under $50,000 CAD and in a couple years I'm sure they'll be even less. Failing an affordable Elise, the S2000 could definitely make its way into my garage. I must own a two seat roadster one day, for road trips down the west coast. I'll take an Elise in British Racing Green, or dark blue, thanks.

Finally, I'll need a nice hatchback to toss around in winter and for snowboarding trips up in the country. Enough room for luggage, some boards, and a couple friends. A car that I wouldn't be afraid of tossing through the salt, sand, and snow slurry of winter roads. I've always leaned towards getting a Mk. IV Golf, however I've really warmed up to the Mazda 3 hatchback, preferably the Mazdaspeed variant. It's also one of the few cars I like in white. It'd contrast nicely with my black S4.

i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Great thread there, Pando. And I rather like your list Revo.

As for me, my first choice is the Lancia Fulvia Coupé. I've always like Lancias, and while the Aurelias and Flaminias are certainly more desirable they are way more expensive than the little Fulvia. And it's pure Lancia in a concetrated tin. Elegant, classy and well engineered. It's one of those cars I want to buy one day.

Other alternatives: 105 Series Giulia Coupes, 02-series BMWs (for something a little bigger).

Why: It's elegant and restrained. It has clever engineering. And above all it's a Lancia.

Price: 6 or 7.000€ at most (I'd avoid HF's and Zagatos).

Lotus Elan (original). Again, another one of those must have cars. Legendary handling by legend Colin Chapman is more than enough a reason to want it. And top of all that it even looks good.

Other alternatives: Well perhaps an Alfa Spider or a Triumph TR if you absolutely have too. But the Elan is the real deal.

Why: That handling.

Price: Up to 20-25 grand for a well sorted example.

Those are the two cars that absolutely need in my garage regardless of everything else. And then I'd need something for a daily driver, which could change depending on the mood I'am. Today perhaps a Mazda 2 1.5.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    1. Volvo V70R

A very nice sleeper. Easily tuned to ~400bhp. And a muffler-less 5 cylinder turbo sounds absolutely orgasmic.
    good find, that looks positively sinister (and it's a volvo LOL )
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

What Ferrer said.
    I might add some sort of American muscle car. Not any of the high-priced top-of-the-line stuff. With a V8(no matter the size) and 4 on the floor, and that's it.
    Why: Simple fun.
    Price: I'd want to pay less than $7.5k
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    good find, that looks positively sinister (and it's a volvo LOL )
    Just imagine what lulz could be had with that

OH Jesus lets hope Quiggs doesn't find this thread.

For me it would be the following:

1. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5)

Although the C6 is not holding value as well as most expected and you can pick up used ones for a decent price, I've always had a soft spot for the C5. Not to mention the endless horsepower possibility's and the great results from simple bolt-on's.

2. Subaru WRX STI

This is an easy one: It's fun.

3. GMC Typhoon.

Similar to the GMC Cyclone but has room for the children. And it has a 4.3L turbo V6 with 280HP so 0-60 is in just 5.3 seconds.

4. Mazda RX8

This is awesome just because nobody outside of the extensive automobile knowledge base understands what a Rotary engine is or how it works. That and it rev's to 9,000 RPM's.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

1st car is a Jeep TJ Rubicon, but I'm kind of undecided exactly which one. I want a Brute conversion, but that gets rid of the back seat and adds a pickup bed. So no seating 4, but a lot of utility. Plus it's bad ass. Either way I want a highline fender conversion and a Hemi conversion (both from AEV same company that makes the brute conversion,) and a 3 inch lift and 37x14.50s. Why? Because I have a thing for Jeeps, and mine needs to be upgraded. With the hemi there's a ton of power, better mileage, lower operating costs and it only weighs a few pounds more. Plus, it's a hemi. And I want to be able to go anywhere, since I love fourwheeling.

2nd car is a Lotus Elise, base model, almost no options. I would probably option up the suspension, wheels, and tires, and possibly also get the limited slip differential. Why? It is one of the best handling cars ever made, is relatively cheap, gets pretty good mileage even with a lead foot and it would make a pretty good daily driver for me.

I'd also like a couple other cars, such as a real pickup for the bigger payload and towing (yes my family does actually use that so when I get more stuff I may too) and an E92 M3 for power lulz with a backseat. But the money probably won't happen.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

E39 bmw m5
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Thread Information