Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Realistic Dream Garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Knuto View Post
    I was a little surprised myself. According to sales numbers it's not very popular...
    Maybe it's a case of everyone who has the taste doesn't have the money? But it's a relatively cheap car, which is a lot of what makes it cool.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Count me as another who wouldn't mind a Honda Insight, though they're a rarity here, also quite expensive. Converely I have driven a mate's S2000 and found it personally not to my liking

Unfortunately my realistically priced garage took a setback this week when the car I test-drove last sunday and had intended to purchase on monday, and was in the process of finalising the sale of with its owner, was instead snaffled out from underneath me by a surprise new buyer. I'm really disappointed as it was still a really Good Thing - a genuine gas to drive - and in 2008 would be unrepeatably close to unique in terms of model specification, originality & condition. More power than Commodore SS-level V8; this was back in the day when anything was optional (even IRS!) and buyers could still choose a 'plain wrapper' with the optimum motor. So a very rare spec to begin with, especially in manual, and even harder to find cars of this genre still 100% stock-as-a-rock and in VGC. Even the (HSV) exhaust system was the 14 y/o original and sounded very mellow, very deep. Ahh well ..

Resplendant in Holden's most basic 'Executive' trim (and most common - complete with wind-up windows, and modest six-inch rims wearing plastic hubcaps, it presented just like any one of the zillions of VR-series Commodore V6 automatics that infest our roads. In other words it offered complete 'family sedan' anonominity (and invisibility) to other road users - including thieves or the cops. No stupid 'look at me' spoilers or fancy mag wheels. Yet thanks to a few rare options also a sleeper with a power/weight ratio that compares favourably to, by example, a certain E34 M5...

So yeah a real pity. It had no offers for over a month and I'd already haggled the seller down almost 40% off his orginal starting price of $7,250, when this cashed-up young twerp interrupts proceedings with a full-price offer. Apparently he's gonna turn it into a Summernats-type hoon car, with a loud paintjob, the idiotic oversize tacho and chrome supercharger poking out of the bonnet - although will most probably destroy it first which either way is a real shame. It had been babied all its life, I was going to keep it strictly original. Can't upload the ad (the only thing I did save) but here's a C&P of it to describe, and pic. Ok it doesn't look much but imo thats the appeal

Holden Commodore Executive sedan - V8 (factory fitted 185 Kw HSV motor with HSV plate) - one mature owner.
    I ordered this vehicle in late June 1994 and it was finally delivered in early Sept 1994. I ordered the optional 185Kw HSV motor, so after the vehicle was built it was shipped to HSV for all the upgrades.
    Features included are as follows:
    - Standard transmission (manual 5 Speed)
    - IRS and ABS (these were options at the time)
    - A/C and P/S. (air was an option)
    - 191,000 km (with oil changes every 5,000km...........not kidding!, have records)
    - Close to 12 months rego and good tyres.
    - The clutch was replaced 20,000km ago. Radiator also replaced at that time.
    This vehicle is Sherbrooke green in colour and has never been involved in an accident. It has never been modified or raced. (......I'm getting close to 60 years of age!)
    The interior is like new, as it has always had seat covers.

There is nothing to spend on this vehicle!

Asking $5,250 (Would like to sell before Xmas) LAST CHANCE, it will be mothballed and stored, if not purchased this week????)
    Anyway back from almost-reality to that low-priced Dream Garage of mine. Maybe OT but it would need a decent bike. I saw this old S2, imo the most appealing of Ducati bevels, for only eight grand on our local ebay. Also spotted a mint Guzzi T3 (great bike!) for a paltry $6k or so. Either machine would do me just fine (drool)

Of course any bike (especially Ducati) requires its own dedicated salvage unit, and I've always had a soft spot for Austin 1800 utes. My 2nd cousin a pastoralist from Cootamundra eventually owned three of these vehicles for farm use and swore by them - not at them

Ok the 1800 ain't sexy, but such a practical ute! Thats why my cuzzy bro bought his - two of them were brand new. But if not the Dowager, then there's a plethora of other local ute choices, eg like this snappy looking 1970 'HG' Holden Kingswood V8 (below)

With a sporty but discrete sedan, beautiful Italian motorbike (and related recovery-unit) already covered, its time for a true Roadster ... budget-style. In fact with their demountable windscreen (along with no side-glass) the redoubtable Mini Moke is pretty much a genuine Speedster. Something akin to this one would do nicely

Occasionally I like to attend the nearby motor races where you can still park your jalopy right on the circuit fenceline (typically Bathurst, or the windswept hellhole that is Wakefield Park) and view the proceedings in-car, and in comfort. So to complete this ideal garage of mine I'd need suitable accomodation in which to view the races, and what better device than this split-window Kombi I spotted for sale only a couple of years ago

Yes its a genuine 'VW Airport Tower' that was built for CASA (Oz's federal aviation regulatory body). The idea of it was to be able to travel to the many grass airstrips within its region and, in emergency, act as literally a (portable) airport tower. But it had obviously seen little use. Anyway I reckon it'd make a fantastic viewing platform at the races - complete with swivel seat & vintage air-conditioner. The extendable windsock etc is just sensational!

When offered on ebay it had IIRC only done 3,000-ish miles from new (!) yet only sold for about $4k. Thats a cheap-as price for any kind of split-window Kombi these days. Can you imagine fronting up to the Bathurst 24-Hour in this little ripper? What a peach!

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I guess most of you that has ever browsed through a web site or magazine for used cars, or perhaps set a foot in a used car showroom agree that ever too often you stop and think, "how much did you want again?"

I get the feeling when I see restored Beetles and Volvo Amazon's on sale for 15 000€+
    I'm well past spending mega $$ on cars so thanks for a good thread topic. And mate I know what you mean about the absurd prices being asked in recent years for anything remotely 'special interest' or 'collectible' especially since I remember not too long ago many of these self-same cars were essentially next to worthless. However FWIW I recently saw a rather tidy Amazon for sale locally @ only AUD $4,500 - about 2,250 euros
    Last edited by nota; 12-27-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Those aren't realistic at all.

Don't ruin the thread.
    oops...sorry about that... I got a little carried away...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

although handicapped by not having a garage at all, my realistic fill could consist of
    The current vehicle, (C5 Estate HDiF Twinturbo, 40k)
    a proper Lancia Fulvia Coupe (15k)
    A Citroen CX GTi Turbo (5-8k)
    an entry level Alpine A110 (25k) or some other French exotic, (DB, Bonnet/Matra, 8-15k))
    and possibly a BMW 3200 CS (35k) or an entry level 2800CS model (15-20k)

(all in Euro)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    a proper Lancia Fulvia Coupe (15k)

(all in Euro)
    Btw would this be a 'proper' Fulvia? (about 8k in euros)
    1968 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S 2dr Coupe Manual 4cyl 1200 For Sale - uniquecarsales.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Btw would this be a 'proper' Fulvia? (about 8k in euros)
    1968 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S 2dr Coupe Manual 4cyl 1200 For Sale - uniquecarsales.com.au
    not for me....RHD and I would search for a 1600.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1) A third generation RX-7 ($13k.) Well, actually my RX-7. I've wanted one ever since I was 12 (1st model year.) I've always been intrigued by the rotary engine. In a time or growing technical sophistication and weight, Mazda's passion for the quintessential light weight and simple (excluding the sequential turbos) sportscar is something I admire greatly. Its a friggin' blast to drive too

2) A C5 Corvette. If things go as planned you might see an Eggnog within the next 18months. I've always been a fan of Vets, and if you live in America they are the most logical sportscar.

The LS1 is powerful, reliable, and there is an endless array of after market goodies. I know 01 C5 Z06s have depreciated to ~20k, but by the time I put all the aftermarket parts on my C5 it will be faster than the Z06, but most importantly, be more appealing to the eyes. Mine will be white with black interior, a C5r headlight kit, and the rear end will be painted black (my own little way of paying homage to the glory days of Pratt & Miller.) ... a set of black painted C6 Z06 wheels too.

3) Lotus 7 replica. I really like the idea of an F20C powered example, like what World Class Motorsports does. However, their kit is way too expensive and at this point I lack the knowledge & tools to build my own chassis.... so this dream is on hold for a few years. I really don't have a good enough workspace either

4) Infinitti G35 coupe. The best GT car in my price range. The best balance of fun, sport, reliability, comfort, and style. I might be tempted to opt for a pristine example of a Lexus SC400 here (Soarer Z30) if a manual had been available for the US market.

5) I'd like to replace my work truck with a truck, Van, or large SUV that runs off of Compressed natural gas. The idea of filling up at my own carport with cheap fuel is just too enticing to ignore. I'd rather use a fuel that comes from beneath the beautiful Alabama red clay, no offense meant to my Canadian friends . I'm thinking it might be a better pantie dropper than any of the sportscars mentioned too. The girls around here spout of BS like "I'm going green," "we have to protect the earth," and "Save the Whales." I could be like "wanna go for a ride in my CNG econoline," and the girls would be like "OMG! your car runs on natural gas.. thats so hot!" Then I'd offer to show her the my Natural Gas compressor and demonstrate how it works n stuff.

nota, no place for a Fang?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Well your vette does look very logical, I'll say that for it...
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

not for me....RHD and I would search for a 1600.
    Aren't all regular coupes with 1600 engines, HFs?

They are rare and expensive, in any case. I'd happily settle for a 1300.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Aren't all regular coupes with 1600 engines, HFs?

They are rare and expensive, in any case. I'd happily settle for a 1300.
    paying a little more would still fall under the chapter "realistic"

paying a little more would still fall under the chapter "realistic"
    I haven't seen any 1600s going for 15 grand.

I did see an early 1200 HF for 14 grand time ago, though.
    Visca Catalunya!

I haven't seen any 1600s going for 15 grand.

I did see an early 1200 HF for 14 grand time ago, though.
    at today's (and tomorrow's) markets......

at today's (and tomorrow's) markets......
    Then I'll be able to pick my 1.3 Coupé for 50 cents...
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't mean to be pedantic but the entire point of a Dream garage is it's complete LACK or realism As so aptly demonstrated by Bleeding Heart.....

Regardless, I'll Play along.

My top 3:

1) BMW E36 328i Coupe

In my opinion the most elegant of modern BMW's. Rare but not enough so to attract attention, could realistically be driven in most road conditions, small enough for my needs.

2) Subaru Forester XT

Looks like a mum's taxi, can be tuned to drive like a WRC car.

The ultimate Sleeper.

3) Mazda MX-5

Could reasonably be called a fuel efficient runabout. Decent handling & the experience of the old without the rust, repair bill & electronic hell. Classless, honest, Beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information