Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Realistic Dream Garage?

Any BMW M5.

Any BMW M3.

Any HSV Clubsport.

Any RX-7, especially a FD3S.

Any GT-R, especially a GT-R (R32).

I would like a nice Ferrari or Lamborghini but those cars are not realistic purchases for me.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Nice to read your many great replies! Many interesting choices, just showing how different taste we all have! Thumbs-up for all of you including the prices as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    BMW 3.0 CSL
    I've always loved the insane styling of the 3.0. Even though it's a roadgoing racecar, I don't think i would feel any less than a racecar driver in it.
    Just out of curiosity, would you pay 20-30k of your own hard earned money for a 70's Beemer? Compared to Mk1 M3 for instance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    2. Land Rover Discovery LR3 TDV6

Obviously for its off-road prowess.
    No cheaper way to go off-road?

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    One can see that the list has no connecting theme.
    ~20ish year old European coupes and sedans?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Secondly, I must have a Lotus Elise in my garage. I know it's a touch on the less realistic side of realistic, but used models already go for under $50,000 CAD and in a couple years I'm sure they'll be even less. Failing an affordable Elise, the S2000 could definitely make its way into my garage.
    I like the Elise too, but would I pay twice as much for (a Toyota engined) one than a S2000? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Those are the two cars that absolutely need in my garage regardless of everything else. And then I'd need something for a daily driver, which could change depending on the mood I am. Today perhaps a Mazda 2 1.5.
    Nice choices, I see you've played this game before!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17 View Post
    E39 bmw m5
    I've never driven one but I think I would be very tempted by one as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Knuto View Post
    3. 199x Renault Laguna 2.0
    When it's not about driving, but getting there. Extremely comfortable car and enough grunt. I would rather have this one than all new sedans. I think the Laguna is good enough
    Even though I don't agree with you I love your third choice! (The S2K and Alfa's are no-brainers)

I was a little surprised myself. According to sales numbers it's not very popular...
    It's a dream car, a second choice for many. Unless I had an garage to put it in, I don't think it would be smart to buy one even if I had the money.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I don't mean to be pedantic but the entire point of a Dream garage is it's complete LACK or realism As so aptly demonstrated by Bleeding Heart.....
    From what I've learned I think a good rule of thumb is to ignore everything he posts.
    3) Mazda MX-5

Could reasonably be called a fuel efficient runabout. Decent handling & the experience of the old without the rust, repair bill & electronic hell. Classless, honest, Beautiful.
    Also very tempting as I mentioned in my initial post. Here you can get early models for as little as 2000€. Personally I'd go for a 01-05 model, preferably with a 1.8 and try to pay less than 7-8000€.
    Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Anyway back from almost-reality to that low-priced Dream Garage of mine.
    Hehe, I don't even know of all of these cars, and haven't seen a single one in person!
    I'm well past spending mega $$ on cars so thanks for a good thread topic. And mate I know what you mean about the absurd prices being asked in recent years for anything remotely 'special interest' or 'collectible' especially since I remember not too long ago many of these self-same cars were essentially next to worthless. However FWIW I recently saw a rather tidy Amazon for sale locally @ only AUD $4,500 - about 2,250 euros
    I know exactly what you mean! Every once in a while you see very cheap cars, that you know are not going to go down in price. The magazines here are full of Mk1 Golf GTI's for around 1500€ for instance and other classics pop up every now and then for similar prices...

I often find myself thinking if only I had that huge garage to fill up!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I like the Elise too, but would I pay twice as much for (a Toyota engined) one than a S2000? No.
    I gotta say, it would have been awesome if Lotus had gone with the Honda S2000 engine in the elise instead of the toyota engine. But the engine is such a small part of the appeal of the car. An S2000 handles nicely, but not as spectacularly as an elise. Aside from power and (if you care) comfort, the elise wins in every category. That's why I'd pay the $46,000 for one. In a non-realistic garage, I'd probably see if I could get an S2000 engine in one, but I am happy enough with what it has to like the car as is.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I gotta say, it would have been awesome if Lotus had gone with the Honda S2000 engine in the elise instead of the toyota engine. But the engine is such a small part of the appeal of the car. An S2000 handles nicely, but not as spectacularly as an elise. Aside from power and (if you care) comfort, the elise wins in every category. That's why I'd pay the $46,000 for one. In a non-realistic garage, I'd probably see if I could get an S2000 engine in one, but I am happy enough with what it has to like the car as is.
    I wasn't talking crap about the engine I just referred to the Series 2 models (with the Toyota engines) as opposed to the older Rover powered Series 1 Elise that one could get for less than the S2000.

Looking at the prices here:

Series 1 Elise ~ 15.000 up
    S2000 ~ 20.000 up
    Series 2 Elise ~ 35.000

For me the price difference between the S2000 and the S2 Elise makes for an easy decider. As I stated in my first post, a modern Lotus or TVR would be a nice, but costly and hence not realistic substitute for the Honda. As for choosing between the S1 and the S2000, for me the price difference isn't worth the possible reliability problems.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I wasn't talking crap about the engine I just referred to the Series 2 models (with the Toyota engines) as opposed to the older Rover powered Series 1 Elise that one could get for less than the S2000.

Looking at the prices here:

Series 1 Elise ~ 15.000 up
    S2000 ~ 20.000 up
    Series 2 Elise ~ 35.000

For me the price difference between the S2000 and the S2 Elise makes for an easy decider. As I stated in my first post, a modern Lotus or TVR would be a nice, but costly and hence not realistic substitute for the Honda. As for choosing between the S1 and the S2000, for me the price difference isn't worth the possible reliability problems.
    Ah, ok. We never got the S1 elise, so I missed that part not being as familiar with it. New (which generally effects used prices) there's not the big of a difference in the series 2 elise and the S2000 over here, so if I had the money for one, I'd probably save a little longer and go with the elise. The elise has been my favorite pure sports car short of an F430 for quite a while, so choosing between a dream car and just a good sports car isn't that hard for me.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    I would like a nice Ferrari or Lamborghini but those cars are not realistic purchases for me.
    Hmmm... I just thought of this recently...

What about a working "replica" of an exotic car...

Still quite realistic for many IMO...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

i want this very model of the Lexus ES300, Cadillac DeVille and Carrera Targa because i dont like their current models. this ES300 and DeVille are both so simple, elegant and decent cars and i love their looks in real life. i dont like the round headlights of the 997 because it looks like the beetle.

i also have a thing for the new camaro and the Prowler. the RX8 is an unvanquishable car that i cannot live without.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by silverhawk; 12-28-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    nota, no place for a Fang?
    Mate I haven't seen one advertised for ages, so no idea of prices

But there is some doubt as to whether a Fang would fit my budget or indeed my physique

It was a tough decision to make, for sure, but there's just something about the Elise. Its handling and looks are just so perfect, and along with a B5 S4, I will have one eventually. Practicality and terrible Canadian weather be damned.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

No cheaper way to go off-road?
    Well, there certainly are cheaper ways to go off-road.
    But not in something that nice

And a used LR3 can be had for about $18,000 which isn't bad.

-> ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I rather like the Insight, it's a clever car. A shame that it can only seat two though.
    ^ I Just like it because it may be considered as one of the rarest and the most unique hybrids in the road today. And they're pretty realistic too (between USD$ 8K-15K).

-> And there is another 'Hybrid' Insight:

^ A K20A'ed Insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    BTW... I've forgotten about Trucks and SUVs

Toyota Land Cruiser 200 series
    ^ Of all of your choices on your list, I prefer the L/C 200 the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    G37/Sport,
    ^ I would think that the G35 S is you most realistic effort yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Ok... does this mean I can go a little extreme and post these cars..

---well... it's never too bad to dream...
    ^ I would think you got a little carried away there dude.

Wow, the S2000 is a common pick. I really like the car, but I wasn't expecting this much popularity.
    I was a little surprised myself. According to sales numbers it's not very popular...
    ^ I don't dream of having an S2000, I am driving a dream right now as my daily driver. The S is pretty realistic to be honest, I got mine for USD$17.5K with 37K miles, 1-owner, K&N CAI, and Skunk2 CBE. So a 2003 AP1 can set you back 'round between USD$13K-15K.

2) Subaru Forester XT

Looks like a mum's taxi, can be tuned to drive like a WRC car.

The ultimate Sleeper.
    ^ I agree with you, I love the SG Forester XT (& the STi). These Subies can drift pretty easily when I test drove them back then.

^ My favorite Forester of all time.

^ Unfortunately, there is no way an S2000 engine could cram into any mid-engine Lotus because the F20C & F22C are for FR cars only (like the AE86 or E30/6). But some crazy Lotus dudes had their way of stuffing a Honda engine onto their Elise/Exige S1's, with a sweet K20A from the Civic/Integra Type-R/Accord Euro-R. Heres some vids on it:

A S1 Exige [Rover] vs. S1 Exige [Honda]
    YouTube - Honda K20 Powered Lotus Exige VS Normal Modified Exige

A VTEC-powered 340R
    YouTube - lotus 340r honda supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Boy View Post
    ^ Unfortunately, there is no way an S2000 engine could cram into any mid-engine Lotus because the F20C & F22C are for FR cars only (like the AE86 or E30/6). But some crazy Lotus dudes had their way of stuffing a Honda engine onto their Elise/Exige S1's, with a sweet K20A from the Civic/Integra Type-R/Accord Euro-R. Heres some vids on it:

A S1 Exige [Rover] vs. S1 Exige [Honda]
    YouTube - Honda K20 Powered Lotus Exige VS Normal Modified Exige

A VTEC-powered 340R
    YouTube - lotus 340r honda supercharged
    Actually, I saw a tuner special in car and driver where one of the tuners (forgot the name, wish I had it now) did manage to fit an S2000 engine into an elise. Looked pretty slick to me.
    Big cities suck

Mate I haven't seen one advertised for ages, so no idea of prices

But there is some doubt as to whether a Fang would fit my budget or indeed my physique
    i think i saw one in a relatively recent unique cars mag for about 17-21k i don't remember which figure exactly if i'm right.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Actually, I saw a tuner special in car and driver where one of the tuners (forgot the name, wish I had it now) did manage to fit an S2000 engine into an elise. Looked pretty slick to me.
    back in 2000, Italian tuner Tenax created an 3.0 V6 Alfa Romeo powered Elise mk1.
    220 bhp @ 6100 rpm, 280 Nm @ 5100 rpm, no info about the weight, but 0-100 kmh in 4,2 secs and 270 km/h as top speed.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

isn't lotus kind of against V6's though
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information