Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna Seca track day

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    more pics!

1. is my brake pads decorating my wheel. all 4 looked like that.
    jesus! i bet the drive home would have seen a few close calls
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

it was very slow, and i left a big gap to the cars ahead. but as my location says.. its a short drive.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you made it out of there ok and that you had one close call to make a good story out of it.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Laguna's a blast... Even with the exciting moment, looks like you had fun!
    But was the track wet most of your session? Yikes.
    What did you use as a braking visual heading up to the corkscrew now that the big tree is gone?

Was the 510 BRE car the real deal?!?!? Cooool. Great looking Stude, too.
    Wish my home track was only 7 miles away. It's been completely re-vamped but it's still 40 minutes from home.
    Palm Beach International Raceway's Road Course

Matra's right, get some quality lines, use DOT 4 and some semi-metallic pads.
    Change the fluid and check the pads before and after your next track event.
    They might be noisy but will work well, both street and track.
    Bring spares with you. Pretty soon you'll carry a lightweight jack, tools, and track rubber
    wrapped in garbage bags to keep your interior clean.

Tape numbers are pretty fancy! We usually just use white shoe polish on the side windows.
    Last edited by csl177; 01-02-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Laguna's a blast... Even with the exciting moment, looks like you had fun!
    But was the track wet most of your session? Yikes.
    What did you use as a braking visual heading up to the corkscrew now that the big tree is gone?

Was the 510 BRE car the real deal?!?!? Cooool. Great looking Stude, too.
    Wish my home track was only 7 miles away. It's been completely re-vamped but it's still 40 minutes from home.
    Palm Beach International Raceway's Road Course

Matra's right, get some quality lines, use DOT 4 and some semi-metallic pads.
    Change the fluid and check the pads before and after your next track event.
    They might be noisy but will work well, both street and track.
    Bring spares with you. Pretty soon you'll carry a lightweight jack, tools, and track rubber
    wrapped in garbage bags to keep your interior clean.

Tape numbers are pretty fancy! We usually just use white shoe polish on the side windows.
    i really did have a blast. unfortunately the brake issue put a real damper on the day. it was full on wet for the first 2 sessions, and started drying out from there. by my last run there was a dry line going around the whole course, with the exception of a little river that is a constant problem running across right after rainey. not in a grip required part, but enough to get the wheels spinning for a sec if your really on it.

i use the apex of 7 to judge the corkscrew. i started braking just prior to the apex, although i probably could have waited until just after and been fine. i couldn't build as much speed as i thought i would going up the hill to 7 and the corkscrew. its very cool though going through the corkscrew. you can spot the top apex through your drivers side window, but you cant get a view of the bottom apex until well after you've already committed to your line. really fun.

it is an original 510 racecar. he's on numerous local racing sites/boards, ive met a few of the 510 guys at different places around monterey, and they seem to be a cool bunch. i guess they all frequent laguna. it is cool to have the proximity, although i really havent gotten to get down there as much as i wanted. but than again ive only lived here for 4 months. and coming from jacksonville, florida, i had to drive over an hour for a fricken autox. let alone an actual track.

still getting the brake situation sorted. and the race rubber thing is something i have been wanting to do for a long time now. wanted it for the mini, and now i want it for the G. just have to decide how i'm going to afford it. not easy to do when you are planning on re-doing a kitchen in the next 4 months.

and as far as the tape vs shoe polis thing. i have done the shoe polish, but the last two scca regions i have been in didn't like the polish, and this track day organizer had a firm no polish rule. painters tape is a much better solution, comes off easier, and is more visible to course workers. i just have a roll that i keep in the trunk, tucked in the spare.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information