Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daimler rejects Volvo

Daimler rejects Volvo

Daimler decides not to buy Volvo - SMHl

Not looking good for the continuation of the Swedish manufactures.
    Last edited by Cyco; 01-03-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: URL fixed
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Page not found.
    Edit: Cyco has fixed the URL, as stated by his editing of the post.Thanks nota.
    Last edited by teatako; 01-05-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

If no one wants Volvo, I wonder what are the chances for Saab...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    Page not found.
    Worked for me so here you go

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald (AFP)
    German car giant Daimler has decided not to buy Swedish-based Volvo Cars from ailing US Ford, according to the weekly Der Spiegel's upcoming edition.

"Daimler boss Dieter Spiegel has carried out a close examination of a possible purchase in the past few weeks and acknowledged a series of possible drawbacks," the German weekly says.

Ford Motor Company said at the beginning of last month that it was reviewing strategic options for Volvo Car Corporation "in response to the significant decline in the global auto industry particularly in the past three months and the severe economic instability worldwide."

Ford said the review probably would take several months to complete, adding that it would continue to work closely with Volvo Cars, which is restructuring "to operate on a more stand-alone basis" under chief executive Stephen Odell.

Der Spiegel said Daimler's great rival BMW had also turned down the chance to take over Volvo, leaving Ford with little hope of finding a buyer, though it mentioned China's Changan as a possibility.

According to Der Spiegel, Daimler foresaw problems with harmonising Volvo parts and practices with its own prestige Mercedes cars, which would require substantial investment and small return.

Ford bought Volvo Cars in 1999 from the Volvo group for a hefty $US6.45 billion ($A9.18 billion).

Volvo Cars sales peaked in 2000 at a record 422,100 units, according to Ford.

Odell said in Ford's statement last month, "We have a strong brand presence in Europe, North America and the Asia Pacific region, and are growing in key markets such as China and Russia, where we are the leading premium brand," Odell said.

However, car sales have slumped in the United States and Europe amid the global financial crisis that erupted in August 2007.

Volvo Cars has announced thousands of job cuts worldwide since June, most of them in Sweden.

Volvo Group chairman Finn Johnsson recently told Swedish financial daily Dagens Industri that his company was not interested in buying back Volvo Cars, and the Swedish state has also ruled out acquiring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If no one wants Volvo, I wonder what are the chances for Saab...
    we can wait until the value of both brands fall to 1 $, then buy both, and expand KFL. gaining a lot of know-how on low grip surfaces, then we should convince Bernie&Co to set a few GP on snow so to ensure us the world championship hands down.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

So Ford MoCo's answer to survival is cut off it's arms to live. What is GM doing again ?.
    Good on FoMoCo for trying to survive no doubt they are in deep sheet also.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    we can wait until the value of both brands fall to 1 $, then buy both, and expand KFL. gaining a lot of know-how on low grip surfaces, then we should convince Bernie&Co to set a few GP on snow so to ensure us the world championship hands down.
    I like the idea.
    Visca Catalunya!

Volvo actually makes money, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Volvo actually makes money, right?
    No they don't.

Can't be bothered to search for the articles again, but just type "Volvo loses" in Google, or something...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I like the idea.
    KFL 4 lyfe.

Dig the signature Leon.

Shotgun President, CEO, Executive Commander, and Supreme Overlord of Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    KFL 4 lyfe.

Dig the signature Leon.

Shotgun President, CEO, Executive Commander, and Supreme Overlord of Volvo.
    We need a new S80 R. Yellow. With black wheels. Front wheel drive. And with some turbos...
    Visca Catalunya!

We need a new S80 R. Yellow. With black wheels. Front wheel drive. And with some turbos...
    As President, CEO, Executive Commander, and Supreme Overlord of Volvo, I approve this message.

Not suprising at all. When is comes to subsidiaries, Daimler can't make up their mind. Just look at how they treated Chrysler.

BTW: It's great to be back on the forums after a two week vacation hiatus.

This is a sad fact as Volvo makes a fine product, bearing in mind they are Rolls, but for the money, they are fine cars. Sadly companies like Saturn, (praying) Hummer, Saab, and Volvo all will need to face this reality in all to near future. Oh an possibly Chrysler too...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    As President, CEO, Executive Commander, and Supreme Overlord of Volvo, I approve this message.
    as head of the design (or whatsoever) I was considering taking the idea a step further.

V8 engine from Yamaha equipped with three turbos (one smaller for the whole engine, two bigger for each bank), and the variable compression ratio concept from Saab. it should be good for about a megabazillions hp.
    fwd is ok, but we need those shopping kart wheels at the rear for massive oversteering and a pretty fat guys seating on the bonnet to guarantee a decent traction.
    then I want to adopt those Volvo's wipers for the front headlamps, and the Saab's driver oriented airplane style cockpit. ejectable seating included (the rockets for the ejection mechanism would be also used during overtaking maneuvers or during straight parts).
    agree on th yellow paint scheme with black wheels.
    other updates to come.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information