Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 "Dream, cars of the future since 1950" exposition, Turin, December 23rd 2008

2008 "Dream, cars of the future since 1950" exposition, Turin, December 23rd 2008

So, after a long time trying to fix all the pictures I took because I messed up with the ISO (1600 isn't exactly the right figure when you are in a very enlightened and white painted building), I'm ready to present you my coverage of the event. Thanks to John Tawley for some tips he gave me.

The exhibition's theme where the cars mainly since the 1950 that represented the view of the future trough cars, mainly concept cars, one-off or limited editions.

I visited the 23th of December, because previously I was busy at university, with the last exam the 22th of December (passed, yay!), and that represented a problem, because the show was on since September (I didn't know), and was going to close the doors the 28th of December, so some cars were already missing.
    I don't even know which were missing for sure, but looking at another coverage from SwissCarSightings, I can say these cars weren't there, and who knows what else: a 1929 Fiat 525S, the 2008 Fioravanti Hydra Concept, the 2008 Italdesign Quaranta Concept (which I personally saw leaving the show on its own wheels in Turin's traffic) and the real 2004 Italdesign Volta Concept (grey car) , since the red unit you are going to see in this thread is just a fake car, with the brake's discs made of paper...
    I don't understand why they allow such a fact, if the show is on until a certain day, there shouldn't be some features missing in the last days.
    the same happened to a friend of mine which went to Geneva last year for the auto show on the final days, and one of the main cars, the red Audi R8 V12 TDI Le Mans, was missing because, I later discovered, it had been sent to the States for some reviews.

apart from that, I have to say the exhibition was excellently organized, the light was perfect and even the disposition of the cars, with a lot of space between each other, so to give visitors the opportunity to take picture from the angle they want.
    I had a previous experience at the 2006 "Mitomacchina" exhibition in Rovereto, TN, Italy, where the lights where too yellow if not almost orange and the various stands were too overcrowded by cars.

there was a lot of text posted on the walls, some pictures and schemes too, but in most cases I forgot to take pictures of them, sorry for that.
    I would still post those I have, like the first posted on the wall at the entrant:

The history of cars in Turin has developed along two lines. Our region has been mass-producing cars for a century, yet has never stop fuelling hotbeds of creativity, craftsmanship and technology expressed in one-off vehicles, prototypes and dream cars.
    There are many powerful car districts in the world, in the United States, Japan, Korea, Germany and France, but never has there been an entrepreneurial and socio-economic phenomenon as Turin.
    Alongside the manufacturing and mass-production tradition, all the brands and the great masters, some who have disappeared, some forgotten, most not known to the younger generations, have offered their vision of pure beauty, free of the restrictive standards demanded by the production chain.
    This search for new style categories of future cars that designers have driven forward since the Second World War shows how their formal proposals have been underpinned by ingenious technological insight, often proceeding and provoking change.
    some pics of the building's roof, and the view from the outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The first car is a wooden replica by Italdesign, scale 1:1, build in 1986, and resembling the 1928 Voiture Maximum by Le Corbusier.

Le Corbusier it's the pseudonym of Charles-Edouard Jeanneret (1887-1965), artist, painter, sculptor, urbanist and architect, a true member of the futuristic tendency.
    he was very attracted by the urbanization and cars, considered as the main and more representative product of the 20th century.
    This was his only project of a car, and was revamped in 1935 in order to participate to a concurs of the Société des Ingénieurs de l'Automobile, asking to design an economical two seaters, costing less than 8000 Francs, and with a top speed of 80 km/h.
    103 entries were present, but his was considered the more innovative and at the same time realistic, with its main points being the comfort and a design process from the inside to the outside (form following function).
    in order to optimise the use of space, a monocoque was adopted, with the wheels included in the main volume, a rear engine, an aerodynamic shape for the front and a spacious cockpit.
    all these themes are present in cars at least 30 years older if not more.

this is a Frech carriage from the end of the XVII century.

The classic definition of a carriage is a four-wheeled horse drawn private passenger vehicle with leaf springs (elliptical springs in the 19th century) or leather strapping for suspension, whether light,smart and fast or large and confortable.
    Some horsecarts found in Celtic graves show hints that their platform was suspended in a frame, elastically. The Romans in the first centuries BC used spring wagons for overland journeys.
    With the decline of the antique civilizations these techniques almost disappeared. In the Middle Ages all travellers who were not walking rode (save the elderly and the infirm).
    A trip in an unsprung eart over unpaved roads was not lightly undertaken. closed carriages began to be more widely used by the upper class in the 16th Century.
    don't blame me for the poor English, I'm just copying.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.

second part

In 1601 a short lived law was passed in England banning the use of carriages by men, being considered effeminate. Better sprung vehicles were developed in the 17th Century. New lighter and more fashionably varied conveyances, with fanciful new names, began to compete with one another from the mid-18th Century.
    Coachbuilders cooperated with carvers, gilders, painters, lacquerworkers, glazers and upholsterers to produce not just the family's state coach for wedding and funerals but light, smart, fast and comfortable vehicles for pleasure riding and display.
    At the end of the 19th Century they were little by little abandoned just as automobiles came into use, an coaching became an upper-class sport in Britain and America.
    I just noticed the Italian is completely different, so I will post it in a couple of minute.

EDIT: here is the Italian text (freely) translated (by me)

The carriage born in Hungary during the XV Century,
    Previously, during the whole Middle Ages, light wheeled carts were present, but the actual cart and the wheels were directly connected, without any kind of suspensions.
    Italy and Germany were the areas where the carriages were mostly diffused, in the mid-15th Century only three were present in Paris. the first carriage in England appeared in the 1580, while a renowned person of Brandenburg (D) owned 36 carriages, each with six horses. The diffusion in Italy was so high that in 1936 the first garage specialized in the refurbishment, repair and built of carriages was created in Ferrara (near Modena).
    A few year later, from 1554 in Mantova, Bologna, Milan and in the whole Republic of Veneto the first decrees were emitted for limiting and ruling not only the use of the carriages, but also the rank of the people allowed to drive one, or even stating the level of luxury allowed for the carriages themselves.
    Regardless of these decrees, the comfort of those new vehicles and their important in the social life were so high, that in Milan, at the end of the 17th Century, there were 1500 carriages.
    A hundred years before, Italian coatchbuilders substituted the system of chains and straps used as suspensions in the original Hungarian project, with elliptical springs, an innovation that got improved on the following Century with better techniques in the surgery of steel.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-17-2009 at 03:37 PM.

1796 Cugnot's Car

Steam-powered vehicle, model on scale 7:10.

This is the first self-propelled vehicle.

The fardier, designed by Nicholas Joseph Cugnot, had the purpose of transporting heavy loads in the military arsenal in Paris.
    the two vertical cylinders were powered by steam generated in a boiler.
    These transmitted movement to the front wheel, which also provided steering.
    The original is in the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers in Paris

1891 Tricycle by Enrico Pecori

Steam-powered tricycle. Vehicle built by the inventor Enrico Pecori. The horizontal twin-cylinder motor is powered by a boiler-generator with a concentric fire box. Chain-driven on the rear axle.
    Steam power did not manage to rival the combustion engine, but vengeance is best served cold.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-18-2009 at 04:04 AM.

1935 Monaco-Trossi racing car

Revolutionary radial engine

Made by the engineer Augusto Monaco and Carlo Felice Trossi, who tested it in the trial of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in 1935.
    The 16 cylinders of the two-stroke engine are arranged in a double star pattern with a single combustion chamber for each pair of cylinders.
    The motor is front mounted and air-cooled, as on aeroplanes. It has front-wheel drive to avoid the necessity of a long drive shaft.
    Engine size: 3982 cc
    Power: 250 hp at 6000 rpm
    Top speed: 200 km/h[quote]
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.

1935 Monaco-Trossi racing car

1954 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint

Bodied in series by Bertone, it's a very representative model of the Italian style and engineering of the fifties.
    Gifted with brilliant performance, it was produced between 1954 and 1966. An year after the introduction of the Sprint coupe, the sedan, a spider bodied by Pininfarina and other performance oriented versions followed, until the Giulia family was unveiled, mainly distinguishable for a larger displacement.

Engine: 4I, 1.290 cc
    Power: 80 hp at 6.300 rpm
    Top Speed: 165 km/h
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-17-2009 at 04:09 PM.

1954 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint

1970 Pininfarina Modulo

The Modulo is considered an icon of Italian design for what it expresses and evokes. Bearing witness to the creativity of our country in dozens of shows around the wrold.
    It won more than 20 international prizes. An experimental one-box model, it was fitted on a chassis housing a rear mid Ferrari engine 60° V12.

"We have always aimed to combine form and function with our idea-cars. In this sense, the Modulo is unusual in its own way, closing a particular period of research, often exaggerated, into pure forms. Still today they represent the seed of innovative aesthetics, heralding formal and philosophical ideas that are now more current than ever. More than could have been imagined then, in 1970."

Sergio Pininfarina.

1970 Pininfarina Modulo

2006 Swarovski Crystal Aerospace by Ross Lovegrove, Swarovski an Sharp

Investigation of the potential of crystal to increase the exploitation of the solar energy used by this space vehicle.

2006 Swarovski Crystal Aerospace by Ross Lovegrove, Swarovski an Sharp

Since I can First remember the shape of the cars developed from the Trans Australia Solar Car Race have fascinated me. This (is) a world where nature and technology fuse with man's ambition to achieve ultimate performance levels and create a true sense of a sustainable future for us. The forms that have evolved from this particular science embody logi and beauty and stimulate visionary dreams of lighter structures, advanced material innovation, ecologically harmonized transportation system and a life of silence and clear air.
    Such scientifically engineered entities are art forms of the highest order, and now that we have entered the 3rd Millennium with all our collective hopes and fears, they for me symbolize the potential man's creative thinking and helps us refocus our collective ambition. Instinctively I present this as a concept which converges the intelligence of solar innovation with the optical scientific arm of Swarovski in order to investigate the potential of using crystal to amplify light. Polycrystalline Photovoltaic cells embody the word crystal in their original definition so the legitimacy of their correspondence in this project to evaluate discovery and performance is the key to my work in this field.
    Currently we are collaborating with Sharp Solar Europe and Swarovski Optial laboratories for the cell/crystal research. We are also consulting with Anthony Lo, designer of the Hy-Wire Concept for GM, now based in Sweden, and with Coggiola of Turin, Italy, on the fabrication of the car. This is my first realized project since receiving The World Technology Prize for Design in San Francisco recently, awarded by the World Technology Network, (WTN)

Ross Lovegrove

more (a lot) to come tomorrow
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-17-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks, Leon.
    Interesting stuff.
    That Monaco-Trossi is quite simply awesome.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information