Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The time has come ...for an Alfa Romeo

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    This year, got a new one. Were able to badger the price down to $22k, might sound mad to Ameri-folks.
    Is it an Si model? Or an upper level one? Considering that American dollars are worth a little more than Australian dollars, that's really not bad.

To get the Civic to be a comfortable car, you really need to get the upper models that are pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by F6
    It's a quality product, though. My friend has a CivHy and it serves as a transportation module very well. Not terribly interesting to drive, but a solid car.
    Also, and I don't know if they're the stock speakers or not, but my friend's car has really tight and precise bass.
    We had a look at all the others; the Astra, Lancer, Impreza, Focus, Swift and SX4, Corolla and Jazz but the Civic was by far and away the nicest inside and the most obviously well engineered.
    Only problem is that on the all weather, long wearing tyres the road noise is pretty bad, but as you said, the sound system works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by leon
    Which engine is it?
    Just the 1.8, hey it's Mum's car. first tank took her almost 800km of mostly about town driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSX
    Is it an Si model? Or an upper level one? Considering that American dollars are worth a little more than Australian dollars, that's really not bad.

To get the Civic to be a comfortable car, you really need to get the upper models that are pretty expensive.
    Just the base model, it was a purchase of opportunity in some ways. If we'd gone for an up spec model it would have been starting at 28k with no room to negotiate.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I like the current Civic, one of my favorite hatches.
    I think its style, despite being subjective, is much better than the majority of its contenders. I'm not saying it looks better, but that it has a better design, not usual, not boring, not copy and paste, not average. Than you can hate it, but at least there is something to discuss about.
    I agree with that fully. Even if it's not a particuarly good looking car.

We looked at it last we were in the market for a car, and it was fine if a bit expensive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I agree with that fully. Even if it's not a particuarly good looking car.

We looked at it last we were in the market for a car, and it was fine if a bit expensive.
    yeah, the Civic went a bit too upmarket with the price, but after all, who didn't? The Focus mk2.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I recently saw Renault Megane turbo-diesel sedans being advertised for $20k driveaway, I thought it was a hellava deal

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    I recently saw Renault Megane turbo-diesel sedans being advertised for $20k driveaway, I thought it was a hellava deal
    That'd be brilliant if we were in the Euroland. My best mate was doing parts at a Merc/Renault dealer and it was like...oh a Renault is in for service? I'll order another turbo.

Great car, wrong continent.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

That'd be brilliant if we were in the Euroland. My best mate was doing parts at a Merc/Renault dealer and it was like...oh a Renault is in for service? I'll order another turbo.

I don't think the turbos on Renaults are particularly fragile, are they? Just, as with any any turbocharged car, let it cool down a bit after driving at high revs/high speed, don't turn it off immediately.
    Visca Catalunya!

isn't that what turbo timers are for ferrer? do they come with them?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    isn't that what turbo timers are for ferrer? do they come with them?
    I don't know to be honest. In any case after a motorway trip I always let the bimmer cool down a bit before switching it off. I've heard many horror stories about blown turbos in diesel cars...
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd be willing to risk a new Renault, especially at that price.

If an engine provides satisfactory reliability elsewhere then why not here? The Turkish-built Megane T/D sedan is terrifically specced, available six-speed manual and 5 year warranty. Potentially a great little car imo and for $20k already pre-depreciated! I can't understand why more haven't been sold. Btw isn't its 1.9L DCi engine basically the same unit also used in Renault and GM-E commercial vehicles? If so it can't be too bad reliability-wise!

Only a small selection but fwiw there's some very happy owners in this thread:

[ame=http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52800]just bought a Megane diesel - aussiefrogs[/ame]

After 23,000km my Megane diesel is well and truly run in. I recently tested out the fuel consumption, this time without the a/c on. It obviously makes a difference. On a trip from Sydney to Tahmoor and back (170km round trip), I got 3.5L/100km. That's 80mpg!

3,5l/100km?
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't know to be honest. In any case after a motorway trip I always let the bimmer cool down a bit before switching it off. I've heard many horror stories about blown turbos in diesel cars...
    I heard the first BMW diesel 6 cylinder 3.0 (184 bhp) suffered quite a bit this problem.

3,5l/100km?
    70 km/h, cruise control (or constant speed), top gear.
    The Stilo gives me 3.0l/100km in this situation.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I heard the first BMW diesel 6 cylinder 3.0 (184 bhp) suffered quite a bit this problem.
    Mine was about VAG diesels, but I don't think it's exclusive to one engine. Also if you treat it well you shouldn't have any problems.
    70 km/h, cruise control (or constant speed), top gear.
    The Stilo gives me 3.0l/100km in this situation.
    Ah yes, that makes sense. I could get some astonishing figures then too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information