Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Officially World's Largest Carmaker

Toyota Officially World's Largest Carmaker

With the announcement of sales numbers for 2008, the General sold 680,000 less than Toyota did. 8.35M to 8.97M cars sold. This means that they have officially taken the lead in sales numbers, in addition to production numbers that they had taken the lead in 2007.

GM Press Release
    GM Announces 2008 Global Sales of 8.35 Million Vehicles
    * GM Asia Pacific sales volume grows 3 percent; Chevrolet sales in China grows 16 percent to nearly 200,000 vehicles; 1.09M vehicles sold in China sets record with 6 percent volume growth
    * Third consecutive year of more than 2 million vehicles sold in Europe; Chevrolet sales breakthrough 500,000 mark with record share; Opel sets sales record in Central and Eastern Europe with volume up 13 percent
    * GM beats the industry with more than 1.27 million total vehicle sales in Latin America, Africa and Middle East Region led by top-selling Chevrolet Corsa, Celta and Aveo
    * GM continues emerging markets leadership with 2008 market share growth in 14 of 26 markets

DETROIT – Record-setting sales performance in GM’s Latin America, Africa and Middle East and Asia Pacific regions, and a third consecutive 2 million vehicles sales performance in Europe during 2008, helped General Motors sell more than 8.35 million vehicles globally last year. GM’s nearly 3 percent growth in both the Asia Pacific and Latin America, Africa and Middle East regions partially offset North America sales that declined 21 percent, and growing pressure in Europe that resulted in 7 percent fewer sales. Compared with 2007, GM’s total sales were down 11 percent, reflecting continuing global economic pressures that include tightening credit, falling commodities prices and lack of GDP growth.

In 2008, GM sold 5.37 million vehicles outside the U.S., accounting for 64 percent of total global sales volume compared with 59 percent a year ago.

In the fourth quarter of 2008, GM sales of 1.70 million vehicles were down 26 percent compared with the same quarter a year ago. Most of that decline was reflected in 379,000 fewer vehicles sold in North America as the market yielded to a crushing lack of consumer confidence, and tightened credit requirements, in the United States.

GM Continues Growth in Emerging Markets

“GM’s 2008 sales performance shows that we are continuing to take advantage of new emerging market opportunities and are meeting customer needs with fuel-efficient products that offer compelling design and great value – such as the award-winning Opel/Vauxhall Insignia in Europe, the Buick Excelle in China and the Corsa in Latin America,” Jonathan Browning, vice president, global sales, service and marketing, said today. “We saw sales volume increases in the key four emerging markets of Brazil (up 10 percent), Russia (up 30 percent), India (up 9 percent), and China (up 6 percent).”

“The challenges in the global financial markets, including credit tightening, the drop in commodity prices, and economic uncertainty continue to negatively impact overall demand for new vehicles,” Browning added. “For the total global industry, we saw about 3.5 million fewer vehicles sold in 2008 than the previous year.” With these market challenges comes significant opportunity and GM is well-positioned with new products either on showroom floors or on the way in the near future.

Chevrolet sales in Asia Pacific grew 14 percent in 2008 compared with a year ago. Chevrolet sales in China (up 16 percent) and India (up 9 percent) powered much of this growth. The Wuling brand continued strong growth in China with sales up 17 percent in 2008 compared with a year ago. The Buick channel is very strong in China with the all-new Regal and soon-to-be-launched LaCrosse. The Chevrolet Cruze and Cadillac SRX also will play important roles in taking advantage of China growth in the months and years ahead.

In the Latin America, Africa and Middle East region – a traditional Chevrolet stronghold – 2008 sales grew 3 percent compared with 2007. Chevrolet accounted for nearly 90 percent of GM’s sales in the region and Brazil remains the second-largest volume market for Chevrolet. Also, GMC, Cadillac and Saab showed impressive annual percentage increases in their sales volume – up 24, 22 and 16 percent, respectively, compared with a year ago. GM sales in the LAAM region beat the expected industry performance, with more than 1.27 million vehicles sold.

A large, relatively young population with a low car-per-capita ratio, hold promise for the market in years to come. Several new Chevrolet product launches are on tap for 2009 including the Cruze, Malibu, Traverse and Camaro.

Chevrolet sales in Europe also contributed to the brand’s solid 2008 results, growing 11 percent and breaking though the 500,000 vehicle mark for the first time. Chevrolet is also performing strongly in emerging markets. It remains the top-selling import brand in Russia. In addition, Opel sales in Russia increased by 49 percent, while Saab increased 68 percent in 2008 compared with a year ago. The Opel Insignia won the prestigious European Car of the Year Award – a first for Opel in 22 years and a strong statement about GM’s global midsize vehicle architecture. Important launches for GM this year in the region include the Opel Insignia Sports Tourer and Astra; Chevrolet Cruze; and the new Saab 9-3X and 9-5.

A highlight of GM’s North America regional performance was the all-new Chevrolet Malibu sedan that achieved the highest percentage gain in annual sales volume (39 percent) of any of the top-20 selling vehicles in the United States. While GM’s total North America vehicle sales volume in 2008 declined 21 percent, there were a number of bright future product opportunities highlighted at the North America International Auto Show in Detroit this month. They included the new Chevrolet Camaro and second-generation Equinox; the second-generation Cadillac SRX and all-new CTS sport wagon; and the Buick LaCrosse.

Sales of Cadillac outside of the United States were supported by strong growth of the brand in Latin America, Africa and Middle East (up 22 percent).

Note: Global sales results are based on preliminary numbers reported and have been rounded.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), one of the world’s largest automakers, was founded in 1908, and today manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM employs 252,000 people in every major region of the world, and sells and services vehicles in some 140 countries. In 2008, 8.35 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM’s OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at General Motors | Corporate Website | GM.

Note: In this press release and related comments by General Motors management, we use words like "expect," "anticipate," "estimate," "forecast," "objective," "plan," "goal" and similar expressions to identify forward-looking statements, representing our current judgment about possible future events. We believe these judgments are reasonable, but actual results may differ materially due to a variety of important factors. Among other items, such factors might include: our ability to comply with the requirements of our credit agreement with the U.S. Department of Treasury; the availability of funding for future loans under that credit agreement; our ability to execute the restructuring plans that we have disclosed, our ability to maintain adequate liquidity and financing sources and an appropriate level of debt; and changes in general economic conditions, market acceptance of our products; shortages of and price increases for fuel; significant changes in the competitive environment and the effect of competition on our markets, including on our pricing policies. GM’s most recent annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly report on Form 10-Q provide information about these factors, which may be revised or supplemented in future reports to the SEC on Form 10-Q or 8-K.

# # #
    from Jalopnik
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 01-21-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

They don't make much of anything interesting, but they do know how to sell their cars. Not a big shock though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

This was all over Bloomberg this morning. Lets the short positions begin...oh, the stock's worth nothing, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    They don't make much of anything interesting, but they do know how to sell their cars. Not a big shock though.
    true, still I was expecting a similar difference but with lower figures for both of them, especially for Toyota, almost 9 millions of cars in 2008 is pretty impressive
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

In other news... Toyota officially World's most boring carmaker.

But since Audis seem to be on a bit of a roll too, it doesn't surpirse me.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota View Post
    All your base are belong to us. There is no chance to survive make your time. ha ha ha
    I´m sure a lot of you will be bawwing about this rather unsurprising news for days, as you´ve bawwed about Audi selling more cars than BMW in Germany. But you can´t mess with success.

Japanese industrial and product design is successful because if every little component in their products could talk, they´d say "I am a part of this product and I have to do my job. (And do it perfectly. Every single time.) No matter how small". Toyota does not rely entirely on styling to create demand, nor attempts to make products more profitable by cutting costs to the extreme (the Ford Pinto being an emblematic example).

Ultimately, to put it in a fashionable way, the people have spoken loud and clear, as it is the people who have made Toyota what it is.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In other news... Toyota officially World's most boring carmaker.

But since Audis seem to be on a bit of a roll too, it doesn't surpirse me.
    In other other news a vast majority of car users either don't have the money to buy an exciting car or don't care.

not surprising. They make quality products at competitive prices and don't have the labor/legacy costs that GM has.

I assume they will be number 1 for quite a while, but nobody stays number 1 for forever. Eventually someone, will knock them off

cant fault them for not making a single exciting car. the ones they did make under the toyota name weren't selling well. Do we consider the IS-F to be exciting? the bottom line is that right now, they are making what people want/are buying.

although Toyota did loose more money than GM last quarter.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Toyota's Strategies

TOYOTA is #1 because they determined to be the world's largest car manufacturer several decades ago and then set about doing the things necessary to achieve it.

Some of these are:

1. Producing at least one vehicle in each product type - obviously if you have say 13 different vehicles in your range you are not going to have the same sales opportunities of one having say 103 different products covering all vehicle types.

2. Producing cars of quality and reliability - not many of us want to own a 'lemon' even if it is "exciting" do we? In fact market research has found the majority of car owners place style and excitement beneath low running costs and dependability.

3. Having after-sale warranties on bodywork and power trains etc that give owners peace of mind

4. Providing an after-sales service rather than the historical "We have ya check and now you are on ya own." treatment. In other words thinking the car buyer is a client rather than a 'sucker' and making that attitude pervade all TOYOTA do.

I am sure you can add more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    In other other news a vast majority of car users either don't have the money to buy an exciting car or don't care.
    Interesting or exciting cars don't have to be expensive, that's a common misconception.

However it takes a special person to buy a special car, so of course the market is going to be limited.
    Visca Catalunya!

Interesting or exciting cars don't have to be expensive, that's a common misconception.
    There can be, but then refer to the second part of my post. Also, those cars may not be up to Toyota quality or cost Toyota prices.

There can be, but then refer to the second part of my post. Also, those cars may not be up to Toyota quality or cost Toyota prices.
    Yes, but even those who could be bothered can't see past a certain badge or a certain reputation. Which is a shame really.

As for quality and cost, any car will be acceptably reliable if you take care of it. And as for cost, there's always the second hand market. And anyway you can have interesting new cars for what a Toyota costs.
    Visca Catalunya!

As for quality and cost, any car will be acceptably reliable if you take care of it. And as for cost, there's always the second hand market. And anyway you can have interesting new cars for what a Toyota costs.
    Wrong about the firs part - our TL had to be recalled for catastrophic transmission failure and had to have it's warranty extended by Acura. Even still, I'm not sure the tranny is good.

Many people like to buy new, and many other people simply do not care that their car is not exciting. I don't like Toyotas and I drove one for some time as it was my car-school car - a Corolla, but I understand why people by them and I think it is pretty reasonably.

Large masses can be dumb, but the masses selecting Toyota as their "whip" of choice makes a lot of sense to me.

Wrong about the firs part - our TL had to be recalled for catastrophic transmission failure and had to have it's warranty extended by Acura. Even still, I'm not sure the tranny is good.

Many people like to buy new, and many other people simply do not care that their car is not exciting. I don't like Toyotas and I drove one for some time as it was my car-school car - a Corolla, but I understand why people by them and I think it is pretty reasonably.

Large masses can be dumb, but the masses selecting Toyota as their "whip" of choice makes a lot of sense to me.
    Of course it does make sense. They are reliable, reasonably piced, reasonably practical and perform adecuately.

Toyotas have no hint of passin or soul whatsoever, they feel exactly like appliances, like cars that'll only take you from A to B. And that most of all is what I don't like about them.

And anyway if you want a new car there are still alternatives, from Italy, from France, from Germany... even from Japan!
    Visca Catalunya!

for a brief period we had an Mr2 Mk1 in the household. It was really fun to drive, but surplus to requirements.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information