48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Citroën DS19

15 31.25%
  • Mercedes-Benz 300SL

33 68.75%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroën DS19 v Mercedes-Benz 300SL

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Is that important? There have been "supercar" episodes on Discovery Channel. In one of them Eddy Irvine attributed the 300 SL with very poor and tricky handling.
    Top speed is not important and I've heard previously to this thread that it's suspension is poor, but what makes it for me is it's a sportscar and quite quick for the time, and the DS is not a sportscar and I tend to side with sportscars.

I also don't really like the looks of the DS (shock, horror) but think the SL is one of the better looking vehicles around.

lack of debate has never been good for any forum.....any of your acquaintances ever encountered snap oversteer, or a most driven in a sedate manner?
    And if it is driven sedately the DS is arguably a better proposition.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Now that I remember, dad purchased a used DS (maybe a 21, can't remember), but had to bring it back to the dealership because mom was feeling sick everytime the car was lifting at the take off...ehm, start.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

lack of debate has never been good for any forum.....any of your acquaintances ever encountered snap oversteer, or a most driven in a sedate manner?
    Ask Simon. He drove one from Geneva to Villa d'Este (at times over 100mph) and his only complaint was that it got hot inside in traffic.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Ask Simon. He drove one from Geneva to Villa d'Este (at times over 100mph) and his only complaint was that it got hot inside in traffic.
    will do, might see him in Geneva early March.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

why not apply some lateral thinking?
    Ok and with suitable apologies to Ferrer who has triggered my thinking about a mano a mano for similar era sedans

I've got no idea in regards to their comparative prices, but for example the DS versus this swing axle sensation...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...6&d=1173660562

And there'd be plenty of other reasonably equitable 'the DS vs X-sedan' fascinations on which to dwell. Here are just a few suggestions:

The peppy 1955-57 Chevrolet V8. Jaguar Mk1 or Mk2. Perhaps even Borgward's interesting P100 6cyl featuring .. air suspension!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Ok and with suitable apologies to Ferrer who has triggered my thinking about a mano a mano for similar era sedans

I've got no idea in regards to their comparative prices, but for example the DS versus this swing axle sensation...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...6&d=1173660562

And there'd be plenty of other reasonably equitable 'the DS vs X-sedan' fascinations on which to dwell. Here are just a few suggestions:

The peppy 1955-57 Chevrolet V8. Jaguar Mk1 or Mk2. Perhaps even Borgward's interesting P100 6cyl featuring .. air suspension!
    Woho! Love Tatras, that'd be a great rival. Very left-field.

The other though are nowhere near as special in my opinion (altough I like them). Well maybe the Borgward...

Oh, and apologies accepted.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    if that's Italian, I need some elaboration, because I didn't get it, or better, if it means what I think, it should be modified a little.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

A rough english translation would be "Man to Man" or "Toe to Toe".

I believe it's an old boxing expression.

Regardless, think of it as a two-way comparison.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I'll join you for the Borgward, although IIRC it has the Mercedes swing axle. It is a car on my list for the oddball corner, but I haven't seen one for ages.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The DS advanced the achievable standards in terms of ride quality, roadholding, handling and braking in an automobile.

The DS came in third in the 1999 Car of the Century competition, recognizing the world's most influential auto designs. Winner and second place went to the Ford Model T and the Mini.

Throughout its model lifetime, the DS managed to remain ahead of its time. It featured power disc brakes, a hydropneumatic suspension including an automatic levelling system and variable ground clearance, power steering and a semi-automatic transmission, and a fiberglass roof which reduced weight transfer.

Inboard front brakes (as well as an independent suspension) reduced unsprung weight. Different front and rear track widths and tire sizes reduced the understeer typical of front-engined and front-wheel drive cars.

I voted GODDESS

Quote Originally Posted by apple HEAD View Post
    The DS advanced the achievable standards in terms of ride quality, roadholding, handling and braking in an automobile.

The DS came in third in the 1999 Car of the Century competition, recognizing the world's most influential auto designs. Winner and second place went to the Ford Model T and the Mini.

Throughout its model lifetime, the DS managed to remain ahead of its time. It featured power disc brakes, a hydropneumatic suspension including an automatic levelling system and variable ground clearance, power steering and a semi-automatic transmission, and a fiberglass roof which reduced weight transfer.

Inboard front brakes (as well as an independent suspension) reduced unsprung weight. Different front and rear track widths and tire sizes reduced the understeer typical of front-engined and front-wheel drive cars.

I voted GODDESS

this is all far too reasonable..top speed rulezzzzz

I voted GODDESS
    Indeed.

Can I also add, for me the big Cit just feels more special than the Merc. Don't get me wrong I love the Gullwing, but the DS just pushed the outside of the envelope a lot further.
    this is all far too reasonable..top speed rulezzzzz
    LOL.
    Visca Catalunya!

does any-one know either cars current market value?

does any-one know either cars current market value?
    a pristine DS23 can now command about 40,000 plus Euros, the factory cabriolet go for 3 to 4 times more. Good running sedans may go from anywhere between 15-25. Rough cars can be bought cheap, but can set you back with nasty surprises.
    The Benz I estimate at 600-800 Euro with more for the gullwing than the roadster.

Thread Information