• Citroën DS19

15 31.25%
  • Mercedes-Benz 300SL

33 68.75%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Citroën DS19 v Mercedes-Benz 300SL

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    On gravel maybe.
    Certainly. Since the Merc's suspension can't move about.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Holland is after France the country with most DS followers. Prices have gone through roof. On the other bringing a DS from Australia to Northern Island could add a little bit to the cost....
    Last I heard it cost 1,500 euro to ship a car here from the USA west coast, maybe its a little more now?

On the face of it your estimation of 15~25k euro for your 'good running sedan' vs 6k euro here for very presentable examples 'requiring no work' leaves quite a considerable margin for freight, doesn't it?. Indeed for the price of one western european DS you could probably source two cars from here, purchase and ship them over, and still retain more than a pocket full of change. It'd be pretty sad thing to strip Oz of her lovely Snookers. Nevertheless I sense a collaborative business opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Last I heard it cost 1,500 euro to ship a car here from the USA west coast, maybe its a little more now?

On the face of it your estimation of 15~25k euro for your 'good running sedan' vs 6k euro here for very presentable examples 'requiring no work' leaves quite a considerable margin for freight, doesn't it?. Indeed for the price of one western european DS you could probably source two cars from here, purchase and ship them over, and still retain more than a pocket full of change. It'd be pretty sad thing to strip Oz of her lovely Snookers. Nevertheless I sense a collaborative business opportunity...
    rest assured it won't happen their is no demand for right handers over here.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

rest assured it won't happen their is no demand for right handers over here.....
    Speaking of right-hook Citroens...

Citroen SM Australia

But there might be in the UK.
    Visca Catalunya!

Holland is after France the country with most DS followers. Prices have gone through roof. On the other bringing a DS from Australia to Northern Island could add a little bit to the cost....
    you are right, i could not afford to import a DS from australia. But it is a good excuse for me to maybe take another trip to Holland.

i really like the country and its only a bus ride or a plane ticket away.

i always remember seeing a lot of VW Golfs and micro cars like the Subaru 360 etc.

on second thoughts, the way the British pound is going at the minute i dont think i can afford that either.

This is a great thread.

Some results of the Bonhams Retromobile Auction.
    An ID19 Familiale, just over 40k Euro,
    A ID19 Berline, 34k
    A DS19 Majesty 86k
    A DS19 Palm Beach 172k
    and the topping of the cake a DS23 Cabriolet for 337k.

There was one 300 SL Roadster, that went for 370k.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I've seen a DS23 in rough condition, but working, advertised for 5.000€ here.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I've seen a DS23 in rough condition, but working, advertised for 5.000€ here.
    Could be a solid base for a project, assuming that it was kept in the drier parts of Spain.

another testimony of the unique design of the DS
    Most Beautiful Cars of All Time - 20 Top Auto Designers Vote - Carscoop

another testimony of the unique design of the DS
    Most Beautiful Cars of All Time - 20 Top Auto Designers Vote - Carscoop
    Excellent link, thanks for sharing.
    Visca Catalunya!

At first you might be thinking that these cars are very different, but in fact they are very similar. Both were unveiled in the 50's, and both had astonishing technology for the time. Both had amazing styling and both have had recent cars insipired by them (the C6 and the SLR respectively).

So which one is it going to be?
    An apple green DS Palas powered by the 300SL windmill.

Excellent link, thanks for sharing.
    today I received my copy of Classic and sportscar with the article. I have read it now 4 times, but there is no such qualification list as the link suggested. Perhaps they applied some point system, but not C&SC.

today I received my copy of Classic and sportscar with the article. I have read it now 4 times, but there is no such qualification list as the link suggested. Perhaps they applied some point system, but not C&SC.
    I personally found much more interesting the desginer comments than the list itself.
    Visca Catalunya!

I personally found much more interesting the desginer comments than the list itself.
    buy it if you can find a copy. Actually only 4 or 5 of designers mention the DS, but three of them put it of first place. And to be in the spirit of this thread, also one mentions the 300 SL (as his third choice).

Thread Information