Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need computer help

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    In Windows XP (and probably the later ones) there's a command that will convert a FAT32 disk to NTFS.. and it probably won't destroy any data. It didn't when I tried it anyway... Also, it's not very magical. But yes, unless Macs have a funny way of enhancing the file system, FAT32 won't support a filesize over 2GB. I would suggest researching for a way to either make a Mac read NTFS, or Windows to read whichever Mac/Unix related format you go for. There's probably a way...
    last time a disinterested checked I didn't find a way
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Not a Mac user, but I seem to remember that Macs will read, but not write to, an NTFS partition.

Might be worth a try: NTFS-3G: Stable Read/Write NTFS Driver
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Not a Mac user, but I seem to remember that Macs will read, but not write to, an NTFS partition.
    true, it happened to em when I bought a 750 gb Seagate, dad's Mac read it but couldn't write.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Actually, the 480mbps figure is a top speed, sustained transfers are rather slower.
    True because of the way the packets work, that top speed is only theoretical... However like I said he's only using about two sevenths of the top speed... which is definitely quite sustainable. Much more likely a graphics card issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    True because of the way the packets work, that top speed is only theoretical... However like I said he's only using about two sevenths of the top speed... which is definitely quite sustainable. Much more likely a graphics card issue.
    I feel like it is more of a read issue from the hdd via USB. From what I've gathered the video is fine when uploaded but once saved looses the quality and suffers to compression/bitrate. Like matra said it could be the program saving it in a lesser quality (I had this problem with roxio10) or the USB transfer rate isn't enough to stream the HD video/sound.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    From what I understood the file size is still 25 gb once transferred, unless I misread it.
    OK, for it to be the same files size then it's unlikey that an on-the-fly conversion was done. Damn that woudl have been an easy option
    Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    Mac cannot read NTFS
    The next usual support type question.
    What version of Mac OS you running as since Mac OS X 10.3 NTFS is supported.
    WIthout it's support it kind of makes bootcamp a pointless option
    Ther are now quite a few drivers out there providing mroe complete NTFS support.
    therefore, the only option is to format it to use the fat32 file system. In fact, this is also why the file system that windows use on my mac via bootcamp also uses fat32. So if you are going to use your hdd for both pcs and macs, then fat32 is your only option.
    Used to be
    However mac offers you other file systems as well
    and if you see no need to share the drive with either VM environment or another phsysical machien by moving the drive then I advise usign a native Mac format. As said earlier things like journalling are important for reliable and recoverables.
    I would suggest researching for a way to either make a Mac read NTFS, or Windows to read whichever Mac/Unix related format you go for. There's probably a way...
    native in Mac OS X 10.3. and plenty of supported solutions fro m3rd party and mostly free
    Sourceforge.net is always your friend in these circumstances.
    I personally use this one Paragon NTFS for Mac 6.5 - vnunet.com Paragon NTFS

hmm good point, Rocke, what drive is it and what rotation speed and transfer rate for the DISK. Possible that if it is relyong on USB power it may be a low performance laptop type device and unable to sustain high read rates More details on the kit pls
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-24-2009 at 05:07 PM.

ok I got it all working now...

heres what I did...

I opened up disk utility...selected the hard drive....erased everything on it...and set the format to MAC OS extended....

and viola that made it so that it could accept the 25 gig file....

so then I copied the file over and I said something about it not running as smoothly...then I signed off and didnt say anything since.

We'll I quit safari and itunes and all of the sudden it started playing fine...my guess...no enough ram? Idno, I have 1 gb of ram now...with 4 gig's coming on monday. Anyways, it played fine after I shut down a few app's

Then I opened up the file in FCE4 and started and finished the file compressions today. A few more editing things to do tomorrow and then I can upload the file to my accounts. btw, it was my sister's wedding last saturday that I had filmed

Anyways, thanks for the help...even though I figured it out on accident
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Thread Information