Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: UK Garage Lotus Extrema - 2009

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    IMO... the Lotus is as perfect as it can be nowadays.
    No they aren't.

    Current Lotuses are far too heavy.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No they aren't.

    Current Lotuses are far too heavy.
    first gen Elise was better from this point of view.

    Perhaps we should remember the Elise GT1 never played too well, not probably only because of the added power, but because the design was already quite extreme.
    I would use a 400 bhp or so engine for a track day version, or a less powerful but with more torque than the Toyota unit for the road, 300 bhp, not more.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Republika ng Pilipinas
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No they aren't.

    Current Lotuses are far too heavy.
    860 kg is still too heavy?

    Remember the 340 R, that thing weighs 700 kg more or less. i wouldn't call that heavy for a car.
    Last edited by Bleeding Heart; 01-25-2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,315
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    first gen Elise was better from this point of view.

    Perhaps we should remember the Elise GT1 never played too well, not probably only because of the added power, but because the design was already quite extreme.
    I would use a 400 bhp or so engine for a track day version, or a less powerful but with more torque than the Toyota unit for the road, 300 bhp, not more.
    Whoever said a Lotus doesn't need mega power, I agree with him.

    In my opinion the original Elan and Seven embody the Lotus philosophy. If you want meag power buy some german panzewagen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    860 kg is still too heavy?

    Remember the 340 R, that thing weighs 700 kg more or less. i wouldn't call that heavy for a car.
    The original Elise weighted over 100kg less than the current one. On that basis the current one is just too heavy.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
    Posts
    16,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The original Elise weighted over 100kg less than the current one. On that basis the current one is just too heavy.
    wasn't it also very hot, with a fragile drivetrain? imo i'd go straight to the 2-eleven thing, i don't need a roof all that much.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 01-25-2009 at 08:26 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    and the 340R besides being marginally an Elise, was based on the previous gen.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,237
    Elite: 503 kilos
    Elan: 680 kilos
    Proper weights for a car.

    I know I said a Lotus shouldn't have more than 300hp, but I do love the Caterham Levante (if you consider that a Lotus).
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,218
    When you google lotus elite, this is the second thing that comes up... I'm angry now. and will refuse to ever look at TIME magazine again

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,315
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    wasn't it also very hot, with a fragile drivetrain?
    But I doubt those problems have been solved by adding weight...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But I doubt those problems have been solved by adding weight...
    rather changing drivetrain and using more kilos of heat insulator
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,315
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    rather changing drivetrain and using more kilos of heat insulator
    They could've put a lighter engine.

    And since it was hot, remove the heater save some more weight...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
    Posts
    2,585
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Elite: 503 kilos
    Elan: 680 kilos
    Proper weights for a car.

    I know I said a Lotus shouldn't have more than 300hp, but I do love the Caterham Levante (if you consider that a Lotus).
    You can't really compare cars from 50 years ago to cars of today in terms of weight like that. The cars of today have to meet a lot more in the way of safety requirements that make it almost impossible to hit those old weights, even with more advanced technology. Obviously, there are exceptions, so don't start flaming me for this, but it's not a fair comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But I doubt those problems have been solved by adding weight...
    Well, it's not like they just added lead weights to the vehicle. Beefing up the powertrain, etc. is going to add weight.
    Big cities suck

    "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,315
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Well, it's not like they just added lead weights to the vehicle. Beefing up the powertrain, etc. is going to add weight.
    Yes, but the whole point of a Lotus is lightness.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,237
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    You can't really compare cars from 50 years ago to cars of today in terms of weight like that. The cars of today have to meet a lot more in the way of safety requirements that make it almost impossible to hit those old weights, even with more advanced technology. Obviously, there are exceptions, so don't start flaming me for this, but it's not a fair comparison.
    IKWYM.
    I said it slightly sarcastically (in my own head, at least) because I realize how unfeasible that would be today. That being said, many cars today do need some simplification and added lightness.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gran Turismo 5
    By Sauc3 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Lotus Europa S / SE 2006-2010
    By Matt in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM
  3. Lotus 2-Eleven 2007-2011
    By 90ft in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 01:36 AM
  4. Lotus Exige Cup
    By 6'bore in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 12:55 AM
  5. Lotus Exige Sport 240R
    By shockwaveracing in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •