Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Guys

They make Macbook Pros look like a bargain.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Falcon Northwest

If you want a desktop rivaling laptop, go no further. They have two options, the bigger complete desktop replacement, or the still impressive thin and light model. Be warned though, they don't come cheap.
    One hour battery on the big one . Seriously what's the point.

And **** I HATE websites that play music.

Saw this link and had this thread come to mind. Good read for those interested.

Build the Perfect PC! Step-by-Step Illustrated How-To Guide | Maximum PC
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Recommend NOT trying to make an uber-laptop. You want something easy to take to class/lab and even the bar with wi-fi Laptops able to play the latest games are not very portable and you need the lap of a 50stone guy to put them on -- too big, too power hiungry.

If games and hi-end compute are wanted then get/build a decent desktop machine and then get a linux ultra portabel notebook. Gives you what you need in class, lab and with friends and isn't a pain to carry around or embarrass you into getting labelled uber-geek

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Recommend NOT trying to make an uber-laptop. You want something easy to take to class/lab and even the bar with wi-fi Laptops able to play the latest games are not very portable and you need the lap of a 50stone guy to put them on -- too big, too power hiungry.

If games and hi-end compute are wanted then get/build a decent desktop machine and then get a linux ultra portabel notebook. Gives you what you need in class, lab and with friends and isn't a pain to carry around or embarrass you into getting labelled uber-geek
    What he said. I don't personally see the need of having a mega-powerful laptop when you could have a sleek and trim laptop and mega-powerful desktop instead. Or even a trim laptop and XBox 360/ PS3 instead if gaming is a big factor.

I'm leaning towards a Macbook 13" with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a 22-24" monitor. Why should I or why should I not go with this setup?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

You're turning a laptop into a desktop?

Why not get a Mac Mini instead? A new one will be out soon, I think.

And if you're running Boot Camp, I like it because you get the best of both worlds.

And, make sure the keyboard works for both.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You're turning a laptop into a desktop?

Why not get a Mac Mini instead? A new one will be out soon, I think.

And if you're running Boot Camp, I like it because you get the best of both worlds.

And, make sure the keyboard works for both.
    Somewhat, basically that laptop has all the RAM/memory I need, so I can take it to class in my backpack, then use it as a desktop in my room. Kind of a two in one functionality type thing.

But you're stuck with laptop quality video graphics
    I'd go netbook for the road - cheaper, lighter.
    And then decent system for the home.

So then maybe a mac mini, and just sync files from the notebook to the mac? I think mac minis are what, $400?

Isn't the mac mini as brain-damaged for space to add/upgrade as the laptop ?
    Absolutely, sync is your friend ... and if you use a network synch site ( Microsoft Live is getting there , I use my own server ) then you can access the files even if you DONT have your laptop with you ( or the battery dies )

My first question shuold have been what do you want to do with the computer in the home ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Isn't the mac mini as brain-damaged for space to add/upgrade as the laptop ?
    Absolutely, sync is your friend ... and if you use a network synch site ( Microsoft Live is getting there , I use my own server ) then you can access the files even if you DONT have your laptop with you ( or the battery dies )

My first question shuold have been what do you want to do with the computer in the home ?
    Really all I do on the computer is use the internet, email, word, excel, listen to music, and download and store photos and use photoshop to work on them.

So whatever I need to do that, and be able to do it in class (mostly the word/excel and internet) would be my ideal set up. Small portable lap top and a full size desktop? I don't want to spend too much, but I also don't want to spend nearly as much and find myself limited.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Somewhat, basically that laptop has all the RAM/memory I need, so I can take it to class in my backpack, then use it as a desktop in my room. Kind of a two in one functionality type thing.
    I see what you're doing. Looks like a good setup if you're looking for an all Mac thing.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    So then maybe a mac mini, and just sync files from the notebook to the mac? I think mac minis are what, $400?
    Yeah, Mac Minis are about $500 to $600. But the Macbook you're looking at at least $1000.

I have a similar setup, minus the Mac Mini. I use a Macbook with bootcamp, 250 gig hard drive. At home I have a junker desktop that my parents mainly use for web surfing. Works well enough for my purposes.

It's hard to say what your future use is going to be but I'd recommend getting a good laptop ─ Macbook 2gig or MBP if you're an Apple fan ─ and then spending 700-800 on a desktop PC that'll run your more intensive applications or for when you want the convenience of sitting at the desk with your pc instead of hunching over the laptop. This way you have the mac for class and the pc for stuff like MatLab or CAD applications if you take engineering or science routes. I'm a big believer in Samsung Monitors if you're looking for any recommendations. Especially the 22" / 24" HD models.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'd got with the MacBook + external monitor idea. It's the most convenient setup.

I can't recommend a Mac Mini.

Thread Information