Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer Guys

yeah with that list of tasks I'd not go buying two processor boxes.
    Get a decent laptop and screen/keyboard for home docking.

If course if that si really all you want to do with comp then get a $300 netbook and spend the rest of the money on women and drink.

I went and looked at them today, I can get the 13" Macbook for $950 (student discount of $50, I thought it was going to be a little bit bigger discount...) at the store, anywhere I could buy it cheaper? Best buy is $999 I'm going to email the technology office at A&M right now and see if they have discounts on hardware.

They had this program in there called Finale Print Music. It looks sick, definitely picking that up too. You can write music, guitar tabs, transpose, tons of stuff. What are some other programs to get? iWork 2009? I'm not familiar with what comes equipped on Macs and what is extra.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I wouldn't get iWork if you're getting Office...

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    I wouldn't get iWork if you're getting Office...
    Ok that was my concern, that they would overlap. I will get Office for $20 though, what comes with Office? Word, excel, power point, publisher?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Ok that was my concern, that they would overlap. I will get Office for $20 though, what comes with Office? Word, excel, power point, publisher?
    Check with your school first. My school gave away copies of Office for either Mac or Windows, and rightfully so because we pay a technology fee.

I went and looked at them today, I can get the 13" Macbook for $950 (student discount of $50, I thought it was going to be a little bit bigger discount...) at the store, anywhere I could buy it cheaper? Best buy is $999 I'm going to email the technology office at A&M right now and see if they have discounts on hardware.

They had this program in there called Finale Print Music. It looks sick, definitely picking that up too. You can write music, guitar tabs, transpose, tons of stuff. What are some other programs to get? iWork 2009? I'm not familiar with what comes equipped on Macs and what is extra.
    Get one from the Apple Store online in a while, because usually they throw in a free iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Check with your school first. My school gave away copies of Office for either Mac or Windows, and rightfully so because we pay a technology fee.
    That's where the $20 Office is coming from, I have to wait until I register for classes June 4th and 5th though before I can buy any software.

What are some other programs to get? iWork 2009? I'm not familiar with what comes equipped on Macs and what is extra.
    It should come with iLife 09, which is pretty cool, mostly because of Garage Band.
    Don't pay for iWork without trying it first. Apple has a free 30 day trial on their site if you're interested. Keynote and Pages are great, but Numbers is not nearly as powerful as Excel (macros, goal seek, solver).
    You should check with your school to see if they can sell you the adapter you'll need to hook up an external monitor to the macbook. Apple charges $29 for them, I know my school will sell them to us for $8, so it's quite the bargain.
    Your setup sounds almost exactly like mine; I've got a 13" (plastic) macbook that I pretty regularly plug into a 32" lcd tv, but no other keyboard or mouse since my room isn't very big.

Yeah, so I decided to just order a Dell Studio 15, I really like it so far. I decided that for about 60% of the price of a basic (aluminum) Mac Book with the same functionality it just wasn't worth it to me. 250GB harddrive, 3GB of RAM, 15" 720p wide screen HD screen. I like it a lot. So I ended up getting the computer ($780), a printer ($150) and a wireless mouse and keyboard set ($60) now, and I'll probably hook it up to my TV if I really need a bigger screen, which, this one feels surprisingly big considering I'm used to a 20" monitor.

That's cool. Macs are quite expensive, and it seems like you got a good deal too.

Do you know where the computer questions thread went? I have a question about my Mac disconnecting from my wireless network randomly. For some odd reason, my IPod touch connects seamlessly, however.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's cool. Macs are quite expensive, and it seems like you got a good deal too.

Do you know where the computer questions thread went? I have a question about my Mac disconnecting from my wireless network randomly. For some odd reason, my IPod touch connects seamlessly, however.
    Go into your routers admin panel and set it to broadcast at channel 1, 6, or 11 then go into your Mac's wifi settings and lock it on the same channel you just set for that router. Your computer might be connecting to your neighbor's networks when your home network's signal fades or just spontaneously. The problem you're having could be one of many things though
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Go into your routers admin panel and set it to broadcast at channel 1, 6, or 11 then go into your Mac's wifi settings and lock it on the same channel you just set for that router. Your computer might be connecting to your neighbor's networks when your home network's signal fades or just spontaneously. The problem you're having could be one of many things though
    Thanks. I have a Lynksis router. How would I do that?

I'm a real klutz with computers.

And that could be the issue, all the Windows XP computers connect fine with the router in my house.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and hit enter. Then you should get to a linksys screen where you have to put in your login. I think username is admin and password is blank or could also be admin. Once you're in that page, look for a tab that has wireless settings or something of the sort and you should see an option to change the broadcasting channel. You can choose any number from 1 through 11 but only 1, 6, and 11 are the norm for home-use. Choose one of the three (6 is usually a safe bet) and then fool around in your mac and try to find a wireless advanced settings page for your computer. In there should be the choice to prioritize channel 6 in correspondence with your network.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information