• Toyota iQ

2 4.65%
  • Volkswagen Golf VI

0 0%
  • BMW 7 Series

4 9.30%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2009 World Car of the Year

The Jaguar XF seems to be the most interesting car, the diesel one, followed by the C5 with that awsome suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Too bad the mean age of those who are interested in buying any Buick is >76 years old.

Fact of the matter is, it wouldn't look cool to be driving a Buick. It's always had that impression that it was always grandpappy's car. And it still is as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather drive a Cadillac CTS.
    You know, you are talking to someone who drives a BMW...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Too bad the mean age of those who are interested in buying any Buick is >76 years old.

Fact of the matter is, it wouldn't look cool to be driving a Buick. It's always had that impression that it was always grandpappy's car. And it still is as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather drive a Cadillac CTS.
    if the LaCrosse is the same car as the Insignia, (outwardly possible but I doubt technically), then arguments like "not cool" should not play a role.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    if the LaCrosse is the same car as the Insignia, (outwardly possible but I doubt technically), then arguments like "not cool" should not play a role.
    It's the other way round. They have related mechanicals with completely different sheetmetal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's the other way round. They have related mechanicals with completely different sheetmetal.
    related? or the same, and the same chassis set up? Same engines?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

On another note, GM has just decided to move production of the Buick Regal (technically similar to the Insignia) to Ruesselsheim. They will use the production lines that became available now that all Saab production will be concentrated in Sweden again.

related? or the same, and the same chassis set up? Same engines?
    Well I don't have much info, but I'm guessing related.

The engines are even different, altough from the same family.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like this..do the Americans hate GM so much that they forgot to include the European COTY? The Opel Insignia....
    I'm not sure how the Insignia won the European COTY. Most reports I've read suggest that it isn't any better than the Ford Mondeo - which didn't win last year.

As for WCOTY, I'd humbly suggest that the GT-R or the IQ are the two top contenders. Both cars offer interesting and significant advances in automotive technology and where possible this is something that I feel any Car of the Year award should recognise.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    As for WCOTY, I'd humbly suggest that the GT-R or the IQ are the two top contenders. Both cars offer interesting and significant advances in automotive technology and where possible this is something that I feel any Car of the Year award should recognise.
    I would go with the iQ based on Ferrer's views (otherwise I don't know much) and the GT-R for what it has done and the awards it has won. Good choices motorsportnerd.

I'm not sure how the Insignia won the European COTY.
    by getting the most votes from an extended panel of European Journos, from many different countries. The difference in the voting by country adn by journo is shattering. I read many of the "reports" by the individual jurors and there was no clear cut winner. It was only the added up points that decided. The thing I noted that all European cars that made the final cut for the European COTY are included in this list, except the Insignia. (Or are the American Journos bound by a pact with GM to net tell the US people that the good GM products are made outside the USA)
    Further to this, the Fiat 500 was already last year's European COTY so why it is on this list escapes me.
    Last edited by henk4; 01-30-2009 at 01:43 AM.

by getting the most votes from an extended panel of European Journos, from many different countries. The difference in the voting by country adn by journo is shattering. I read many of the "reports" by the individual jurors and there was no clear cut winner. It was only the added up points that decided. The thing I noted that all European cars that made the final cut for the European COTY are included in this list, except the Insignia. (Or are the American Journos bound by a pact with GM to net tell the US people that the good GM products are made outside the USA)
    Further to this, the Fiat 500 was already last year's European COTY so why it is on this list escapes me.
    The jury system certain explains the result of the European COTY.

Perhaps the Fiat in the WCOTY is the Fiat 500 Abarth Esseesse? Or maybe its just because the Fiat 500 has been exported to markets outside Europe in the past year (I'm not sure about the rules on eligibility for WCOTY).
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

The jury system certain explains the result of the European COTY.

Perhaps the Fiat in the WCOTY is the Fiat 500 Abarth Esseesse? Or maybe its just because the Fiat 500 has been exported to markets outside Europe in the past year (I'm not sure about the rules on eligibility for WCOTY).
    maybe we should only allow jurors from countries that have no car entered in the final seven or five.....

maybe we should only allow jurors from countries that have no car entered in the final seven or five.....
    But then you have to decide what makes a car's nationality. Where it's built, designed, where the parent company's base is?
    That problem aside, it's an interesting idea.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    But then you have to decide what makes a car's nationality. Where it's built, designed, where the parent company's base is?
    That problem aside, it's an interesting idea.
    In general people know very well whether a car is French, Italian, German, Japanese, Swedish, Czech, Spanish, Romanian etc. For the great majority it is the first and mostly decisive criterion for judgment of a car.

In general people know very well whether a car is French, Italian, German, Japanese, Swedish, Czech, Spanish, Romanian etc. For the great majority it is the first and mostly decisive criterion for judgment of a car.
    I agree for most of that. Acura and Lexus stick out to me. Are they American or Japanese? Is a Ford Euro Focus American?
    I would agree with you that Jaguar is British and Saab is Swedish, but many on this site would not.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information