View Poll Results: Which one? LS7 or S85?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • LS7

11 78.57%
  • S85

3 21.43%

Thread: Finally we can see ls7 or s85 is better...

Finally we can see ls7 or s85 is better...

Hi guys! I readed your LS7 vs S85 comparison and it was very good, excellent. Thanks, but I see that there werent any "True" results that which engine performs better in real life because of different cars/ body types.

But know, Holden announced to build up their cars with LS7. Called "W427" , and as you see its name, it will be produced only 427 units.

I am very curios about which one will win, LS7 OR s85 but I am sure that a Race that consists only drag will be very contentious. HSV claimed that it can reach 0-100 ( 0-62 mph ) in only 4.7 seconds just like Bmw M5 do. But what will happen after that? For example rolling? I think LS7 will win ( And I want that )

unless the two engines are going to be available in the same car it's still not going car vs car, not engine vs engine.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

numbers on both please sir
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

pretty tough call. here's my take.

the motor in the m5 is definitely the more high tech motor. it is much better as far as hp/litre. that thing is cutting edge. so for some people that probably makes it the "better motor" in the same way that an m-16 is a "better gun" than an ak-47

the ls7 makes 10 more horsepower (not a big deal) but a lot more torque(big deal). more importantly, the horsepower and torque are both available at much lower rpm's, so the ls7 probably makes better use of its power, it has a better powerband.

how do they compare in weight?

for now im gonna say the ls7 is probably the better motor because it has a lot more torque, a more useful powerband, and is cheaper to produce. im also assuming its lighter and has a lower center of mass (but thats just a guess, i might change my mind if it is considerably heavier). i just feel like if you were to drop an ls7 into an m5 (a travesty!) it would probably be faster based of what i know right now
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    how do they compare in weight?
    We did this a while ago and it's in the old thread, the LS7 is lighter and has superior power to weight ratio than the S85.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 02-04-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Wouldn't they be calling it the "W427" because the LS7 is a 427ci motor?

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    Wouldn't they be calling it the "W427" because the LS7 is a 427ci motor?
    Yes.

the ls7 makes 10 more horsepower (not a big deal) but a lot more torque(big deal). more importantly, the horsepower and torque are both available at much lower rpm's, so the ls7 probably makes better use of its power, it has a better powerband.
    But the S85 also has the shorter geared 7-speed gearbox, whereas the LS7 will be invariably mated to a longer geared Tremec 6-speeder.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    But the S85 also has the shorter geared 7-speed gearbox, whereas the LS7 will be invariably mated to a longer geared Tremec 6-speeder.
    yeah, exactly right - so this is still a case of the two engines in different cars. also, from a distance, the w427 looks like a mkV golf gti when seen head on. just saying
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    definitely. i was trying to base my answer on if the motor was in the same car/transmission.

out of curiosity, does bmw make a manual 7 speed or is it all manumatic. second question, do they offer the option for a manual at all?

if not, thats a real shame, i loved the shifter on my old friend's m3, that thing was a delight.

definitely. i was trying to base my answer on if the motor was in the same car/transmission.

out of curiosity, does bmw make a manual 7 speed or is it all manumatic. second question, do they offer the option for a manual at all?

if not, thats a real shame, i loved the shifter on my old friend's m3, that thing was a delight.
    yeah, on the M5 they offer manual in the US only iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    yeah, on the M5 they offer manual in the US only iirc.
    But apparently it's a bit rubbish.

If you want a fast BMW saloon stick with the M3. Or better still, go for the 335i.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information