Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citroën DS3 Concept 2009

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The entire point of a Citroen is to be either ridiculously French or ridiculously cheap.
    I hate to disappoint you but a Citroen can be a ridiculously normal car for ridiculously normal people.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

But then it's not a proper Citroen, now is it.

At least not in branding terms.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

But then it's not a proper Citroen, now is it.

At least not in branding terms.
    I still have a unique suspension system....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I hate to disappoint you but a Citroen can be a ridiculously normal car for ridiculously normal people.....
    Having Peugeot cater that market in the same industrial group, why not focus Citroën (the whole of it, not some preposterously named DS models) on premium market? The potential is there, it just needs to be exploited in my opinion.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I still have a unique suspension system....
    You keep telling yourself that

I agree with the sentiment of what Ferrer says, but the fact remains that Big premium Citroens aren't renowned for being high sellers, and in the current market Citroen has almost placed themselves as somewhat of a bargain car dealer - getting you the most equipment and cheapest car for your money.

It's going to require an almost top-to-toe reboot of their brand image - Dealers inclusive.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Having Peugeot cater that market in the same industrial group, why not focus Citroën (the whole of it, not some preposterously named DS models) on premium market? The potential is there, it just needs to be exploited in my opinion.
    could take quite some time to convince the stubborn "car experts" (and journos for that matter) that also other countries than Germany can produce some good quality cars.

You keep telling yourself that
    I just told it to you, I already knew....

could take quite some time to convince the stubborn "car experts" (and journos for that matter) that also other countries than Germany can produce some good quality cars.
    Not that it can't be done. Audi and Lexus are clear examples of that.
    Visca Catalunya!

Not that it can't be done. Audi and Lexus are clear examples of that.
    Audi came as a "new" brand in 1963, when it took over the DKW products and fitted a four stroke engine in the F102. (the prewar efforts of Audi were quite limited although the Imperator is an impressive machine) It took them at least 10 years to firmly establish them on par with BMW and probably even later with Mercedes.
    Lexus started from scratch. (although based on only locally supplied up-market Toyota models, the Celsior to begin with)
    The name Citroen has been in use since 1919 so it has 90 years of non-premium reputation to deal with.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-10-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Audi came as a "new" brand in 1963, when it took over the DKW products and fitted a four stroke engine in the F102. (the prewar efforts of Audi were quite limited although the Imperator is an impressive machine) It took them at least 10 years to firmly establish them on par with BMW and probably even later with Mercedes.
    Lexus started from scratch. (although based on only locally supplied up-market Toyota models, the Celsior to begin with)
    The name Citroen has been in use since 1919 so it has 90 years of non-premium reputation to deal with.
    You see I diasgree partly with that. Yes they may have done the 2CV or ZX, Xsara and many others, but on the other hand they have done TA the DS and the CX and even some of their cheaper cars did have outstanding features and/or design.

So it definitely would be difficult, but not impossible.
    Visca Catalunya!

You see I diasgree partly with that. Yes they may have done the 2CV or ZX, Xsara and many others, but on the other hand they have done TA the DS and the CX and even some of their cheaper cars did have outstanding features and/or design.

So it definitely would be difficult, but not impossible.
    they did have outstanding features, but were never considered premium. But yes, there were favourite cars for independent thinkers and more creative people, by its very definition a minority.....

they did have outstanding features, but were never considered premium. But yes, there were favourite cars for independent thinkers and more creative people, by its very definition a minority.....
    True. But for instance so were Saabs and they ended being premium.
    Visca Catalunya!

True. But for instance so were Saabs and they ended being premium.
    Saab ended...period.

Saab ended...period.
    Because GM messed with it. Not because their cars were bad.

And if Saab ended, then Citroën can take its place.
    Visca Catalunya!

Because GM messed with it. Not because their cars were bad.

And if Saab ended, then Citroën can take its place.
    yeah, my current Citroen workshop shares a dealership with Kia.....

Thread Information