Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fires in Australia?!

i heard it's changed direction now?
    this pic made me wonder how long it will take the wildlife to recover.. usually they'd get out ahead of the flames but it was moving so fast?

Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    ABC News - Video
    suggest scroll down for
    'Kinglake obliterated...'
    'St Andrews residents ...'
    My Dad and his wife run the general store/post office in St Andrews.. luckily for them they're down the bottom of the hill so they were ok.

I'm glad to hear that pimento, It must have been scary for them
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i heard it's changed direction now?
    this pic made me wonder how long it will take the wildlife to recover.. usually they'd get out ahead of the flames but it was moving so fast?

It turns out that as smaller animals flee a fire the larger predator wait near rather close and the small guys run away from the fire and into the awaiting mouths of the predators. I guess that would mean that the predators, because they are not fleeing might take a rather large hit.

The PM, Kevin Rudd: "There are no words to describe it other than mass murder."

The Beeb (where I've gotten most of my info in this) doesn't say what percent contained the fires are. Any estimates?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Pretty scary stuff, especially with my house being perched where it is, on top of a big hill. We're constantly on fire alert.
    All about the t-tops

Looking at this, as Nota says, makes you realise just how lucky Canberra was in 2003. Only 4 people lost their lives that day.

Current estimates put it up to 173....Many of these people died after being trapped in their cars or, even worse, having an accident and becoming immobile.

I cannot think of anything more frightening to have to go through than a firestorm, if you can help with anything - clothes, shoes, money - donate.

Also, Don't forget to donate to the Appeal for victims of flooding in North Queensland - These people are suffering as well and they need your help as much as those who've lost everything in Victoria.

My sincere condolences to those who've lost loved ones.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

At the house I was living in during the Jan 91 fires in Sydney we backed onto a bush reserve. We watched the flames come over 2 ridges till they where in the back yard and the fire brigade guys there pulled us out. As we left we herd explosions behind us, and thought everything we hadn't collected was gone, as it was that was just an air conditioner unit. We where lucky and the house stood, despite some embers even making it inside. There where small burn holes on my bed near an old skeleton key-hole.

6 houses down an old lady who refused to leave died in hers, and in the next street a family died in their pool as it boiled and they could no longer get air.

For many years afterward I was nauseous at the smell of burning Eucalyptus.

I hope all the best for a speedy recovery for those affected, and wish all the best to families who have lost loved ones and other valuable possessions, including pets.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

It's sad to read that. My condolonces to all who lost loved ones.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

One lesson that everyone near bush should have learn't from this is to have a good fire plan, which includes having clean gutters, clean area around your house, and have your photots in a box that is easy to get to so that they are there to just pick them up if you need to evacuate. Also, dont try and hide from the fire in a pool/spa, as you will be boiled to death as to a fire, a pool is only a small body of water to heat up.

My condolences to anyone on this forum who hav lost anything in these fires (lives/property). I earge everyone to do what they can for any natural disaster.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

final death count could be well over 200. i've seen some images of the remnants of dairy herds and dead horses
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Estimates today mention around 300

The horrible thing for a lot of families with missing members is that there are 50 or so bodies sitting in local morgues that are so badly damaged it's going to be nigh on possible to identify them.

However, as with every natural disaster, Australians seem to pull together to protect their own - Donations of food and clothing have increased rapidly according to the Salvation Army, and estimates put cash donations (inclusive of the many corporate donations, Woolworths, the ANZ, NAB and Westpac have all donated $1 million each) above $30 Million Australian.

While it's going to take a long time for the land and the people to heal, it's a start.

EDIT: Fricken idiots. Reports are emerging of new fires being lit. fortunately these were detected and extinguished quickly, but this takes resources away from other more important matters, and furthermore, these firebugs are....there just isn't an adjective I can find to express the stupidity, Insensitivity, Selfishness and dangerousness of what they are doing.
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 02-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.

I have heard plenty of people jump up and down about their $950 handout. Some are playing politics at such a bad time. However i suggest anyone that feels strongly about it to donate it, If they get it.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I already plan to donate at least 1/2 of it should I receive it.

Alternatively, I have no problem with the government using my portion of that handout to help victims of the Floods and Fires.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    I have heard plenty of people jump up and down about their $950 handout.
    I don't get why they are giving money to people like me for no real reason, sure for people who are living on the edge but for people who work part time and still live with their parents then I think the money could be put to better use.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Thread Information