Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Alfa Romeo 159 2009 update.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    No(r)way.
    Posts
    2,468

    Alfa Romeo 159 2009 update.

    Finally, the GM engines is out of the 159! (except for the 3,2 V6)

    italiaspeed.com

    Sounds like a very interesting engine, and it makes me want one even more!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Excellent.

    Now only if it could shed a bit of weight...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    St. Austell, Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    515
    Apparantly there was an in-house V6 on the way but it might be canned due to the current economical climate Glad to see the back of the JTS units, i've tried a few and IMO they were a step backwards from the old twinny engines.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    6,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Excellent.

    Now only if it could shed a bit of weight...
    standard ferrer response

    looks nice, and its good thatthey now have in-house developed engines. always a better option that adapting someone else's. and this is the one that is supposed to come across the pond, right?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    standard ferrer response
    So it's fine if the V6 weights as much as a similar A6?

    Alfa Romeo has always about style and subastance, and the 159 was a bit short on the latter. Just because it's an Alfa doesn't mean it cannot be criticised.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    6,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So it's fine if the V6 weights as much as a similar A6?

    Alfa Romeo has always about style and subastance, and the 159 was a bit short on the latter. Just because it's an Alfa doesn't mean it cannot be criticised.
    i know.. im just saying the "it should be lighter" is a common response from you. no matter what the car is, or how much it weighs.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i know.. im just saying the "it should be lighter" is a common response from you. no matter what the car is, or how much it weighs.
    In this case it is truly overweight, though.

    I like the car, but if I was in the market for such a car the weight problem would turn me off. So would many other people. The thing is, this car (and the related Brera and Spider) has been quite a flop for Alfa Romeo.

    It seems to have turned away traditional Alfa costumer and hasn't brought in any new ones from the ubiquitous german brands.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,833
    Weight issues aside, I think the 159 is one of the best looking saloons for sale anywhere today. I'd go as far as saying it's in my top ten, if not five best looking saloons overall.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    St. Austell, Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It seems to have turned away traditional Alfa costumer and hasn't brought in any new ones from the ubiquitous german brands.
    They're hoping that the MiTo will do both but I can't it doing either that well. If I was in the market i'd be looking at the Abarths.

    Also if the Alfa forums are anything to go by it seems a lot of 159/Brera owners are going back to 156s, GTVs and GTs.

    As for the weight problems, the heaviest 156 weighs about the same as the lightest 159. Say no more.
    Last edited by Dantera22B; 02-19-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ozland
    Posts
    913
    1.8t can nevar..?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

    http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    Apparantly there was an in-house V6 on the way but it might be canned due to the current economical climate Glad to see the back of the JTS units, i've tried a few and IMO they were a step backwards from the old twinny engines.
    it has been developed together with Maserati, and it's a twin turbo engine, iirc.
    should be ready for the next gen Giulia
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,338
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    it has been developed together with Maserati, and it's a twin turbo engine, iirc.
    should be ready for the next gen Giulia
    There were two different V6s.

    The first was an "in-house" Alfa Romeo development, normally aspirated an with displacements between 3 and 3,5 litres. This seems to have been canned.

    The other one is a develoment of the 450cc unitary displacement modular family of engines, and as a result is related to the future 900cc two cylinder engine and the recently presented 1.8 litre four cylinder. It is, therefore, a 2.7 litre V6. This seems to be going on.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Modena
    Posts
    9,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    There were two different V6s.

    The first was an "in-house" Alfa Romeo development, normally aspirated an with displacements between 3 and 3,5 litres. This seems to have been canned.

    The other one is a develoment of the 450cc unitary displacement modular family of engines, and as a result is related to the future 900cc two cylinder engine and the recently presented 1.8 litre four cylinder. It is, therefore, a 2.7 litre V6. This seems to be going on.
    afaik, the one I'm referring to is a 3/3,5 liter. Maybe it was desinged also as a naturally aspirated one too, but I can't remember, it's been more than two months ago.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

    *cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gran Turismo 5
    By Sauc3 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Alfa Romeo 159 (Progetto 939) 20052011
    By Colin17 in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
  3. Alfa Romeo G1 1921-1923
    By Vaigra in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
  4. Hide-Out Index
    By Sauc3 in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 02:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •